Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-17-2017, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajoo View Post
I started my post saying I didn't like it but that the sociopath-psychopath pair does not leave much room for states like CA, where you like it or not, there are are lot of paperless immigrants that live, work and pay taxes.

So the state is saying FU to Trump and Sessions and WTF can they do to this defiance? Trump will come to CA and hold a unity rally?
We in CA are the 4th happiest state, ranked particularly well in "emotional and physical well being", despite those millions of "illegal aliens". Fact is, of course, they aren't taking jobs away from anyone, and fruits and vegetables from CAs bountiful valleys would be far more expensive without them.

Small wonder whell is so dour; his state ranks 29th.

https://wallethub.com/edu/happiest-states/6959/
Old 09-17-2017, 12:46 PM
Jigsawed

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCricket View Post
QFT!
He is a yes man, no man. Says yes to whatever he thinks will get him points or room to manipulate, but does what ever the hell he wants. The only thing that is at least somewhat reliable is to use what he said as what is not likely going to happen.

Well put!
Old 09-17-2017, 01:29 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicks View Post
We in CA are the 4th happiest state, ranked particularly well in "emotional and physical well being", despite those millions of "illegal aliens". Fact is, of course, they aren't taking jobs away from anyone, and fruits and vegetables from CAs bountiful valleys would be far more expensive without them.

Small wonder whell is so dour; his state ranks 29th.

https://wallethub.com/edu/happiest-states/6959/
That high?
Old 09-17-2017, 01:39 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
I disagree. What Cali is doing is embarrassing themselves.

Also, if a state doesn't have the right to engage in enforcement of immigration law, as Arizona discovered, it stands to reason that a state or municipality doesn't get to electively defy immigration law.
Haven't read the article, have you? The bill on the governor's desk prohibits the federales from commandeering our gendarmes to do their jobs.

States rights, baby.
Old 09-17-2017, 02:52 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

WASHINGTON (The Borowitz Report)—In his most stunning deal yet with Democratic leaders, Donald Trump agreed on Friday to be impeached by the end of 2017.

Emerging from an Oval Office meeting with Senate Minority Leader Charles Schumer and House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, a beaming Trump touted the deal for his imminent removal from office.

“Chuck and Nancy and I got a deal done on impeachment,” Trump said. “It was a good deal and it was a fast deal.”

Trump said that the Democrats had convinced him that agreeing to be impeached would make him soar in popularity. “People are going to love me for doing this,” Trump said. “They’re going to love it on all the channels.”

In a barb aimed at House Speaker Paul Ryan and Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, Trump said that the impeachment agreement was something he “never could have gotten done” with the Republican leadership.

“I went around and around with the Republicans for months on health care,” he said. “This meeting with Chuck and Nancy took, what, five minutes, and I could get back to watching TV.”

Hoping to capitalize on their momentum, Pelosi and Schumer said that they would meet with Trump next week to discuss the ouster of Vice-President Mike Pence.
Old 09-17-2017, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajoo View Post
I started my post saying I didn't like it but that the sociopath-psychopath pair does not leave much room for states like CA, where you like it or not, there are are lot of paperless immigrants that live, work and pay taxes.

So the state is saying FU to Trump and Sessions and WTF can they do to this defiance? Trump will come to CA and hold a unity rally?
Its not about whether I like it or not. It's about the law, and the enforcement for the law, and whether a state or municipal body can choose to disregard federal law because they don't like it or don't agree with it.

What can they do about it? Frankly, open revolt isn't the solution either, IMHO. But apparently, some political types think that's exactly what inspires their whack-job bases (see Berkeley, St. Louis, etc.).
Old 09-17-2017, 05:21 PM
Admin

Quote:
Its not about whether I like it or not. It's about the law, and the enforcement for the law, and whether a state or municipal body can choose to disregard federal law because they don't like it or don't agree with it.

What can they do about it? Frankly, open revolt isn't the solution either, IMHO. But apparently, some political types think that's exactly what inspires their whack-job bases (see Texas, Alabama and Mississippi etc.).
Fixed that for ya, Mike.
Old 09-17-2017, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
Haven't read the article, have you? The bill on the governor's desk prohibits the federales from commandeering our gendarmes to do their jobs.

States rights, baby.
Sure I did. I suspect you did too, but apparently you didn't understand what you read, or your concept of the interaction between the states and the Federal gov't is fatally flawed. There's nothing in the concept of "state's rights" that holds state law as superior to federal law, thus your "states rights" comments is absurd on its face.

But I wonder....

If this bill becomes law, the next time there's a crime, God forbid a violent crime, committed in Cali by an illegal immigrant, and it is revealed that the crime could have been prevented if there had been cooperation between federal and state law enforcement, how will the average Californian react? Will they be comforted by the idea that their legislature and governor "stuck it to Trump and Sessions, so the end (the violent crime) justifies the means? Will you be cackling about the fact that the violent crime is secondary to the primacy of "states rights"? I doubt it.
Old 09-17-2017, 06:19 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Sure I did. I suspect you did too, but apparently you didn't understand what you read, or your concept of the interaction between the states and the Federal gov't is fatally flawed. There's nothing in the concept of "state's rights" that holds state law as superior to federal law, thus your "states rights" comments is absurd on its face.
Other than the 10th Amendment, of course.

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

Scalia was adamant about this very point:

Trump insists that he can force states and cities to participate in his plan to deport undocumented immigrants. But this ignores the 10th Amendment, which the Supreme Court has repeatedly interpreted to prevent the federal government from “commandeering” state and local governments by requiring them to enforce federal mandates.

For example, in Printz v. United States, in 1997, the Supreme Court struck down a provision of the federal Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act that sought to require local officers to help enforce federal gun-control laws, including by conducting background checks. In an opinion by Justice Antonin Scalia, the court held that the act violated principles of federalism and the 10th Amendment for Congress by compelling state and local governments to comply with a federal mandate. Under the anti-commandeering principle, the federal government can no more require state and local governments to help it carry out mass deportations than it can require local officers to investigate and enforce federal gun laws.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...48d_story.html
Old 09-17-2017, 06:56 PM

Quote:

What can they do about it? Frankly, open revolt isn't the solution either, IMHO. But apparently, some political types think that's exactly what inspires their whack-job bases (see Berkeley, St. Louis, etc.).
So why has Mueller teamed up with New York AG Eric Schneiderman if the Federal government's power is absolute?
And please don't knock Berkeley, it's one place where freedom of expression is paramount.
Also UC Berkeley and UCLA were both voted as the best public university in the US. I am sure a lot or Republican youngsters go to study there but probably prefer to stay in the 'political closet'.

Last edited by Rajoo; 09-17-2017 at 07:00 PM.