Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-29-2017, 11:49 AM
Admin

Jim DeMint Given The Boot At The Heritage Foundation

"WASHINGTON — The Heritage Foundation, a powerful conservative think tank that played a significant role in shaping President Trump’s cabinet and tilting it far to the right, is expected to replace its leader, the former South Carolina senator and Tea Party leader Jim DeMint.
The anticipated shake-up, which was confirmed by two people with knowledge of the fraught internal dynamics, comes at an inopportune time for the group, with several major pieces of conservative legislation on the agenda in Congress. The budget, a tax overhaul and health care are all issues that Heritage has tried to influence, with varying degrees of success.
A spokesman for the foundation did not return a request for comment.
Mr. DeMint’s abrupt ouster, described by people as a “coup” against him, was the result of a larger debate among conservative donors who fund the group. One of its board members is Rebekah Mercer, a reclusive donor who has helped propel the White House chief strategist, Stephen K. Bannon, in his effort to dismantle aspects of the political establishment.
Ms. Mercer was described by people with knowledge of the events as helping drive the effort toward a shake-up. Another person close to the discussions, who asked not to be identified, said that Mr. DeMint was not seen as sufficiently pro-Trump by some members of the board." NY Times

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/28/u...ion-.html?_r=0

Let the purges begin.
Old 04-29-2017, 02:57 PM

Yeah, well, that's the NY Times. If you can slant a story against the right, by all means do so.

On the other hand, sounds like his contract was up and the board decided not to renew it, less the "intrigue" that the NY Times seems to want to attach to all this.

“The board wanted someone who is more of a wonk,” said the source, who added that DeMint’s part-time status in D.C. contributed to the disconnect with trustees.

“He never really committed to moving to D.C. and spending all his time here. He would come in and out of town and treated it as a job that he didn’t intend to stay in for the long term. When his contract ran out, they didn’t want to renew it,” the GOP operative explained.

http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/3...age-foundation
Old 04-29-2017, 03:11 PM
Admin

Suuuure, you betcha...
Old 04-29-2017, 05:05 PM

Jim Dementia insufficiency "fringe"?
Whoda thunk?
Old 04-29-2017, 05:17 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pio1980 View Post
Jim Dementia insufficiency "fringe"?
Whoda thunk?
Maybe if Ol' Jim Demented sported a bow tie for his 'wonk cred', he wouldn't have been tossed out like so much garbage.
Old 04-30-2017, 12:59 PM
Resident octogenarian

Good then just maybe the foundation will stop sending me membership applications and surveys.

I have only asked them four times to take me off their mailing list, but then right wingers are not noted for their ability to comprehend plain English

Last edited by merrylander; 05-01-2017 at 09:36 AM.
Old 04-30-2017, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
Good then just maybe the foundation will stop sending me membership applications and surveys.

I have only asked them four times to take me of their mailing list, but then right wingers are not noted for their ability to comprehend plain English
Send them back a picture of Obama, and if that doesn't do it, a picture of Hillary.
Old 04-30-2017, 01:36 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

I heard that they're considering replacing him with Steve Bannon. Sounds like a win-win-win for the Trumpinistas. The White House rids themselves of Bannon the Terrible and Bannon gets to save face while convincing his followers that he still is pulling the levers of power in DC. An irrelevant shithole like Heritage seems like a perfect place for Bannon. He can act all important while everybody continues to ignore him and his neo-Nazi wetdreams.
Old 04-30-2017, 04:14 PM
Admin

Another one bites the dust - Gorka is out. Maybe he's going to Heritage too?

http://thehill.com/homenews/administ...e-house-report
Old 04-30-2017, 04:44 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
Another one bites the dust - Gorka is out. Maybe he's going to Heritage too?

http://thehill.com/homenews/administ...e-house-report
I gotta admit that some sanity seems to arriving at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave with the obvious exception of Trump himself. If Bannons heads to Heritage and Gorka leaves, the number of completely insane assholes goes down by two. I'm sure there are a few more.