Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Economy
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-02-2013, 01:37 PM

Tea Party After My Groceries Too!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/...y.html?hpid=z4

well not really...but this article is very informative. Whether you want me to pay the same prices as you do at the grocery store is up to you. But the article does demonstrate the decline of wages and benefits in the private sector.
Old 06-02-2013, 01:40 PM

actually a gallon of milk is cheaper at Walmart than the commissary.................
maybe that makes you feel worse.

We do pay 5% on the total of what we purchase....i.e. if you spend $100 you have to pay $105 at the register during the final check out.
Old 06-02-2013, 01:57 PM
Area Man

"Many active-duty personnel and retirees contend that their compensation and benefits are well-deserved, given the risks and strain associated with a military career. “We’re not overpaying these folks by any measure. We’re not giving them a sweetheart deal on health care,” said Norb Ryan, a retired vice admiral who runs the Military Officers Association of America, a 380,000-member organization that lobbies on behalf of active and retired personnel. “We owe it to them because they’ve put in decades of extraordinary sacrifice on behalf of our nation.” "

Ummmm..................................

I'm going to stick my neck out here.

We owe them everything from a twice monthly check for life to healthcare for life to cheap groceries for life? Who else gets anything even close to that? Not to mention the attitude that if you suggest reducing any of these costs or cutting military costs in any way that you're "weakening America", you "hate the troops" and a whole list of other insulting, derogatory catch-phrases? When are these people going to realize that "We the People", who PAY for all of this have NO SUCH SWEET DEAL from our employers. Nobody. Not even the hated UAW or public unions.......... Heck, our bosses don't get this.

Yes, Admiral, you DO get a "sweetheart deal". So, shut up.

Dave
Old 06-02-2013, 02:02 PM
Area Man

Sorry if I pissed you off, Robbin. But, that is how I see it. We pay for all of that stuff and most of us don't mind. But, as you have noted, it demonstrates the decline of the private sector. Perhaps the honorable Admiral should speak out against what's happening out here, before he starts reminding us of what we "OWE" him?

Dave
Old 06-02-2013, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
Sorry if I pissed you off, Robbin. But, that is how I see it. We pay for all of that stuff and most of us don't mind. But, as you have noted, it demonstrates the decline of the private sector. Perhaps the honorable Admiral should speak out against what's happening out here, before he starts reminding us of what we "OWE" him?

Dave
you never piss me off Dave....

I posted the article because it is in the news. And yes Americans without health insurance and pension plans are subsidizing the MIC.

Am I going to voluntarily give up the Commissary? Hell no!
Old 06-02-2013, 02:31 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by icenine View Post
you never piss me off Dave....

I posted the article because it is in the news. And yes Americans without health insurance and pension plans are subsidizing the MIC.

Am I going to voluntarily give up the Commissary? Hell no!
I respect your desire to protect that which has been accrued.

Even though I do not necessarily sympathize.

Dave
Old 06-02-2013, 02:04 PM

Is that avatar for me brother?

actually the retirement check is once a month....active duty as you well know is twice a month.
Old 06-02-2013, 02:16 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by icenine View Post
Is that avatar for me brother?

actually the retirement check is once a month....active duty as you well know is twice a month.
No, it's not for you.

And, I stand corrected on that singular point.

But, do you understand what I'm saying? And, NO, it's not "jealousy". It's the truth, IMHO.

Dave
Old 06-02-2013, 02:08 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

I fully support having commissaries for soldiers and their families in foreign countries. I don't support it here.

For the record, I'm an Army brat who lived on or near Army bases through high school, both here and abroad, and was a Department of Army Civilian overseas for 8 years with commissary privileges. Commissaries are somewhere between helpful and essential overseas, depending on location. They're nothing close to a necessity here.
Old 06-02-2013, 02:29 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
I fully support having commissaries for soldiers and their families in foreign countries. I don't support it here.

For the record, I'm an Army brat who lived on or near Army bases through high school, both here and abroad, and was a Department of Army Civilian overseas for 8 years with commissary privileges. Commissaries are somewhere between helpful and essential overseas, depending on location. They're nothing close to a necessity here.
This makes perfectly good sense as well.

Dave