Go Back   Political Forums > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-25-2010, 05:19 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondsoul View Post
I think that the thing that has really begun to bug me about partisan politics is that even the best of ideas often get shut down just because. Just because the idea came from the other party.

NO! That would never happen here! (Sarcasm).

As with Dave I have become more forgiving or perhaps accepting of race although you may not read that in what I said about First Nations people here in Canada. I guess my experience of living on a reserve for two years and having my wife work for First Nations independent schools for 10 years jaded my opinion a bit . I got to see first hand that most of the issues that plague First Nations people are self created and that no amount of money will effectively change those issues. Free money doesn't create a sense of self worth.

Absolutely correct. Welfare handouts are not the path to success for anyone, education and opportunity are. (However, here in the 'States some incorrectly see every gov't sponsered program as "welfare".)

I was referring to the social aspect and not so much the economic aspect of race. I can remember a time, not all that long ago, when I had never had a boss that wasn't caucasian and male. The company I work for has several managers/supervision who do not fit this description. And you know what? Most of them are pretty damn good at what they do. This is the lesson that I have learned that has opened my mind about race in the last twenty years, or so.

Cheers

Lar

By "First Nation people" I assume you are referring to "Indians" and/ or "Eskimo"---Native Canadians, in other words?

Dave
Old 06-25-2010, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
By "First Nation people" I assume you are referring to "Indians" and/ or "Eskimo"---Native Canadians, in other words?

Dave
Yes, we have our "Native Americans" and our friends in the Great White North (coo-coo-cooroo!) have First Nations Peoples and I think sometimes Aboriginal Peoples.

John
Old 06-26-2010, 07:46 AM
Resident octogenarian

Canada has several Native Indian tribes as well as the Innuit (think Eskimos) and if my CRS has not kicked in Innuit means 'The People'. Amazingly enough one time when I was installing a sound system at an epilectic hospital in Quebec on behalf of the local Lions Club I met this Innuit gentleman. He followed me around, helping where he could and although we did not have any common language we did communicate.
Old 06-26-2010, 02:04 PM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
Canada has several Native Indian tribes as well as the Innuit (think Eskimos) and if my CRS has not kicked in Innuit means 'The People'. Amazingly enough one time when I was installing a sound system at an epilectic hospital in Quebec on behalf of the local Lions Club I met this Innuit gentleman. He followed me around, helping where he could and although we did not have any common language we did communicate.
I like that kind of story.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 06-26-2010, 03:03 PM
Resident octogenarian

He was a real nice chap, Innuit hospitality is legendary.

I just remembered the hospital was called the Dieppe House after that tragic debacle in WW II - there was a case where Military Intelligence was a real oxy-moron.They sent our men ashore on what was described as a sandy beach. If any of you have ever been to Brighton on the Channel Coast, that was the beach, smooth wave rounded stones. As if that was not bad enough for the tanks, there was a three foot high sea wall above the beach. The poor guys never had a chance.
Old 06-27-2010, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post

Dave
Yup. First Nations is the politically correct term. Indian was a misnomer from the beginning though. Columbus thought he had sailed around the world and was in India.

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/...-gente-in-dios

Cheers

Lar