Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-04-2011, 01:23 AM
Area Man

The irony of it.................

My country has become so pathetic that we borrow money from a COMMUNIST country in an attempt to keep our economy afloat.

Dave

Last edited by BlueStreak; 08-04-2011 at 01:38 AM.
Old 08-04-2011, 09:38 AM

Yes, we are fools.
Quote:
In an annual revision of the figures, the Treasury Department said Monday that China's holdings totaled $1.16 trillion at the end of December. That was an increase of 30 percent from an estimate the government made two weeks ago.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503983_1...35-503983.html
The sad part is that before the Bush tax cuts for the rich they had none of our debt. Not one dollar.

Maybe if we made the Bush tax cuts permanent, that would fix it. Yeah!

Carl
Old 08-04-2011, 09:48 AM
Area Man

A coworker asked me last night, as we watched that idiot Wolf Blitzer express his relief at the debt ceilin' being raised;

"I dunno about you, but when my credit card maxes out, I stop spending."

I replied;

"I've never let a card max out. But, when I feel a balance has gotten too high, I start working on paying it down."

Of course, he's a Republican.

Dave
Old 08-04-2011, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlV View Post
Yes, we are fools.

The sad part is that before the Bush tax cuts for the rich they had none of our debt. Not one dollar.

Maybe if we made the Bush tax cuts permanent, that would fix it. Yeah!

Carl
CarlV -- You've got to stop slumming over at the Daily Koz and Slate.. It's poisoning your mind.. From Wikipedia..

Quote:
As of May 2011 the largest single holder of U.S. government debt was China, with 26 percent of all foreign-held U.S. Treasury securities.[43] China's holdings of government debt, as a percentage of all foreign-held government debt, have decreased a bit over the last year, but are up significantly since 2000 (when China held just 6 percent of all foreign-held U.S. Treasury securities).[44]
I know, I know -- it's STILL Bush's fault..

Note the phrase 26% of FOREIGN holdings.. That's only about 12% (I've heard less) of our total debt..

I saw these numbers broken down into a great little pie last week.. Know who the BIGGEST DUPES are?? 47% is owned by foreigners, BUT about 40% is owed to the American people. (The rest is phoney intergov transfers).
Old 08-04-2011, 11:19 AM
Area Man

If it's money that we owe to ourselves, then who in the hell cares? This is non-debt by my estimation. Just write it off and forget about it. Would you drag yourself into court if you defaulted on a $1,000 loan that you made to yourself?

Are you even capable of seeing the United States of America as a cohesive unit?

Dave
Old 08-04-2011, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
If it's money that we owe to ourselves, then who in the hell cares? This is non-debt by my estimation. Just write it off and forget about it. Would you drag yourself into court if you defaulted on a $1,000 loan that you made to yourself?

Are you even capable of seeing the United States of America as a cohesive unit?

Dave
My dead mother gave my daughter US Bonds every birthday.. They are still in the safe deposit box and will probably pay for her grad school. I don't think I'm gonna voluntarilly "write it off" .. And pity the fools who believe the assinine farce about the SS Trust fund. They don't even own BONDS.. They hold non-transferable IOUs with NO intrinsic value. Those IOUs are LESS secured than the Bonds in my safe..

And NO --- right now I don't want a cohesive America.. I want a SURVIVALABLE America without the deathwish..

MOST of the US debt held by Americans is actually HELD by Americans, not the govt. They are the basis of every "money market" account in this country and account for a large chunk of retirement and pension savings..
Old 08-04-2011, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flacaltenn View Post
CarlV -- You've got to stop slumming over at the Daily Koz and Slate.. It's poisoning your mind.. From Wikipedia..

Spin then spew venom. You know well that I do not read blogs or watch cable news.

Not sure whether to put you on ignore or just go away from here altogether. It certainly is not why I started posting here. I believe I will start by removing the bookmark on my computer.

Have a nice day

Carl
Old 08-04-2011, 11:55 AM

CarlV:

I apologize for casting aspersions on your sources (whatever they are). I TRY to stay on facts and I'm only here for the logic and reason.. That's why I rarely poke into a thread on polling or political personalities.

I've been slumming on other boards -- and perhaps I've picked up some bad habits that I wouldn't want to affect the community here.. Let's BOTH chill out..
Old 08-04-2011, 12:29 PM

Now you two boys need to stop fighting and kiss and make up!!!!!

This is my impersonation of Clare McCackle using her "mommy voice".

How'd I do???

Chas
Old 08-04-2011, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Now you two boys need to stop fighting and kiss and make up!!!!!

This is my impersonation of Clare McCackle using her "mommy voice".

How'd I do???

Chas
I don't know.. Let's see your "mommy face"...