Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-31-2013, 07:16 PM

Nothing partisan about that view. The guy was an actor propped up by the party. You fell for it like many of us did. Many of us have grown up though and can see and admit our mistakes.

You must have forgot when I was on your side and passing judgement and you were all for it. That being said it should be obvious my criticism goes to both sides when needed. Having been raised on the right side of things I know them even better so it's just easier to point them out.

Thanks for passing that judgement on me though, Mr Kettle!
Old 05-31-2013, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex E. View Post
Nothing partisan about that view. The guy was an actor propped up by the party. You fell for it like many of us did. Many of us have grown up though and can see and admit our mistakes.

You must have forgot when I was on your side and passing judgement and you were all for it. That being said it should be obvious my criticism goes to both sides when needed. Having been raised on the right side of things I know them even better so it's just easier to point them out.

Don't mention it,

Chas
Old 05-31-2013, 08:27 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by icenine View Post
Yeah he was...but it was sort of a bum rap. Reagan was in the hospital and Bush was in an airplane. I think the General was saying he was in charge of the White House staff while Bush was in the air. He said something like "I am in charge here" not I am in charge of the whole country.

I always liked him.
No. This was long after Reagan was shot; Late 1986 to the end of his second term. Reagan was shot in 1981.

Dave
Old 05-31-2013, 08:30 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex E. View Post

Have an article relevant to this post;

http://www.economist.com/node/1858725

"He said that Mr Reagan, a former film actor, “regarded his daily schedule as being something like a shooting script in which characters came and went, scenes were rehearsed and acted out, and the plot was advanced one day at a time.” The chief of staff, Mr Regan said, had to make sure that “the star had what he needed to do his best”, guided by a “crew, invisible behind the lights, watching the performance their behind-the-scenes efforts made possible”. There is a story that Mr Regan would arrive in the Oval Office each morning with a fresh joke to get the president in the mood to face the toils of stardom. Whether true or not, the story was believed."

Enjoy.

Dave
Old 05-31-2013, 08:33 PM
Admin

I'm only slightly embarrased to admit that I wished Hinckley had a larger caliber gun but that's just me.
Old 05-31-2013, 08:43 PM
Area Man

You also forgot to mention Reagans job as a propagandist (professional manipulator) in the Navy during WW2. Also hired away from the Actors Guild by GE as a corporate spokesman.

Whether bullshitting the Japanese into giving up, American youth into joining the military, actors into joining the union, GE employees out of joining the union...........There is a forest behind those trees. Whether you see the merits of the things listed as good or bad isn't the point.

The point is that Reagan was a master slick-talker who made his entire career manipulating people into (or out of) supporting things that powerful interests want them to. If you think there was anything genuine about the guy...............................

Well,

You've been had.

Dude, he was reading a script.

Dave