Go Back   Political Forums > Politicalchat.org discussion boards > History
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-01-2012, 12:34 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlV View Post
I imagine you all heard of this Bloomberg article on the elite who pay no taxes.

Just reaching the top 1 percent is passe.

The real place to be is a more elite top 0.5 percent — the high-earners who pay no taxes.

The club that made more than $200,000 in 2009 and paid absolutely nothing in U.S. income taxes had 20,752 members — among the nearly 4 million households with incomes above $200,000 — according to an Internal Revenue Service study.

So how do they do it?

In most cases, it’s a mix of tax breaks that combine to turn high gross incomes into negligible taxable income. That means some charitable contributions, some casualty and theft losses, some foreign tax credits and medical expenses.

http://go.bloomberg.com/political-ec...-pay-no-taxes/

Looks like them Cayman Island banks are pretty popular.

Carl
The Caymans would serve well as an RR base for the U.S. Marine Corp
Old 06-01-2012, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by budgetaudio6 View Post
B.S, those are alot of links, which i will not get to tonight. But if they smell leftist, i will be suspicious.

bhunter, i dont get what you are saying...

finnbow, do you mean the asssociated press. Im not so sure of them...as they tend to report on the side of obama.(the extra s is for being an ass)

Rex e. no. Only those that can not work for them selves.

But there will always be people that can work and try to rely on the govmint for their welfare...totally. Stay home and every thing will be paid for you kind of mentality...sad way to get a country to communism...marxism first then communism. after that tyranny. nothing this country should stand for
Heavy sigh, Ron White is right, "you can't fix stupid".
Old 06-01-2012, 04:31 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by budgetaudio6 View Post
finnbow, do you mean the asssociated press. Im not so sure of them...as they tend to report on the side of obama.(the extra s is for being an ass)
AP in the context in which I used it means Advance Placement. If one takes such courses and makes a good grade on the exam, one earns college credit while still in high school.
Old 06-01-2012, 08:57 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
We had some former neighbors who bragged about not paying taxes. They sold Nutrilife or one of those pyramid schemes. One trick was that they made it a point to find a way to mention their product on every trip out of the house, so that they were able to expense every mile they drove. They ended up with far too much money to stay in our neighborhood.

Regards,

D-Ray
And the rest of us, who actually WORK for a living, have to make up for these "small business entrepeneurs"...as I am certain they consider themselves.......

But, WE'RE the problem?

Dave
Old 06-02-2012, 05:59 PM
Sir Lord Vader of Cheam

Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke
Here's what makes me believe the world has changed.

If I win Missouri Lotto tonight (~$1.25M), I'd still work somewhere.

It'd be low paying and something that I love, but still work.

A MILLIONAIRE is no longer rich.
Old 06-02-2012, 11:39 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
And the rest of us, who actually WORK for a living, have to make up for these "small business entrepeneurs"...as I am certain they consider themselves.......

But, WE'RE the problem?

Dave
Brings to mind that original plaintiff in the Health Care suit that is going to be heard by Supreme Court. Declared bankruptcy and went on the dole..hmmmm.
Old 06-03-2012, 12:37 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post

But, WE'RE the problem?

Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
Brings to mind that original plaintiff in the Health Care suit that is going to be heard by Supreme Court. Declared bankruptcy and went on the dole..hmmmm.
What it brought to mind for me was my best friend from high school. Back then, in the late 1970s, we did all sorts of stupid things like drop acid then throw darts at each other for entertainment. I once had to lift him off a wrought iron fence he had nearly impaled himself on whist we were running from the police, who were chasing us for having naked girls and weed in a mausoleum.

At any rate;

He is now a born again Christian that belongs to some sort of wierd exclusive church for businessmen trying to live in the 1950s down in South Carolina. I don't think there are snakes involved, but the main focus of this group is studying how Jesus can make them all fabulously rich, or something like that. He is a staunch Republican, is what I'm getting at.

To get to the point, at long last;

His wife has a bad case of degenerative arthritis. He is an extremely small businessman, as in a "one man band" sort of deal, and doesn't really have much money at all. Her insurance got so expensive, he couldn't afford it anymore and self-paying would bankrupt him instantly. So, he took her downtown and signed her up for SSDI. I asked him if he still felt that such programs were "so(c)ialism" and therefore immoral and that people who ask for help from Uncle Sam are freeloaders who should be ashamed of themselves?

He said; "Of course I do. Because that's the truth..............But this is different......."

I told him it still isn't too late to seek the GOP nomination. He'd fit right in.

Dave

Last edited by BlueStreak; 06-03-2012 at 12:56 AM.
Old 06-03-2012, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
Because of huge medical bills in two different states.
Old 06-03-2012, 04:04 PM
Admin

I'll be happy when the country stops all of this bitching, moaning and obfuscating about taking care of ourselves along with our neighbors medical needs. Single payer or the easier solution of Medicaide/ Medicare for everyone is the only way to go. Anything else including the profiteers is wrong and an added expense that has no place in medical care.

I wouldn't begrudge the well off an upgrade to say a private room, gourmet food and what have you as long as it doesn't compromise the level or timely availability of medical service to the public.

Maybe we aren't packaging it right for the GOP? They could bring their own little staff of nurses in miniskirts and drink that crappy coffee that is predigested Indonesian squirrel droppings and be as hoity toit as they please. It might satisfy the Richy Rich inner child in 'em. You know? After all it seems to me they're just aghast at having to wait in line with all us regular folk..
Old 06-03-2012, 08:28 PM
Area Man

"There are rich Democrats too."

There I beat Pete to the punch.

As to the rest of the post;

No, I'd have to disagree, Bob. Just knowing that somebody, somewhere got someting they didn't sweat blood for would still bore holes in their brains. Even if that somebody is them. It's just the way they're wired.