Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politicalchat.org discussion boards > History
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-04-2014, 07:57 AM

My theory if anyone cares to hear it is that Saddam Hussein was a gift from heaven to foreign policy hawks like Wolfowitz and the Neocons, who'd just publicly put the Middle East on notice with their Project for the New American Century where they outlined the re-ordering of the Middle East into a compliant vassal-states crude oil spigot for the U.S.A.. Who could possibly object to that? Not smart as it turned out as they do occasionally check the 'net over there.
Our position in Saudi as a base of operations had become politically untenable and we had to eventually un-ass the A-O (leave) to keep the peace and good relations. The Iraqi situation presented the Hawks and oil/financial interests with a golden opportunity to keep Army boots in Middle East sand by occupying Iraq with some ruse of justification, and as a major bonus, we take over the oil fields to "stabilize them" and keep the stuff flowing out, and guess what? That pays the costs of all this at-home spending. The Iraqis (aren't they all the same?) are so grateful to be out from under the Hussein family's tyranny they hail us as liberating heroes. Win-win!! Except the "little people" in the margins of this equation failed to be predictably compliant to the oh-so-clever and well-conceived plan. Who-da thunk?? It blows up in our face as the major poorly thought-thru clusterfunk it was and persists to the present, they're glad to see Hussein gone but miss the enforced stability his tyranny ensured. The ongoing intermittent terror attacks and our indebtedness to the operation and ongoing indebtedness to the injured/disabled vets of this operation is the legacy, not to mention our loss of credibility thru the expenditure of good will squandered. The diversion of resources from Afghanistan proved disastrous. Halliburton (Cheney's outfit) & the other Usual Suspects won-won, everyone else not so much.

Last edited by Pio1980; 04-04-2014 at 12:36 PM.
Old 04-04-2014, 08:36 AM
Resident octogenarian

So now Pakistan has taken advantage of it all and ensures that Afghanistan will remain a turbulent area for their benefit.
Old 04-04-2014, 09:52 AM
Sir Lord Vader of Cheam

Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Joad View Post
I have never had any doubt about this.

And as long as I have a breath left in my body my cup shall runneth over with hate for these bastards that sent my first born son into harms way over a pack of lies.
1. Nor I.
2. That's why I didn't volunteer.

If you believe in Number One, doing Number Two shouldn't follow. In that situation, I would hate me, not the bastard(s) I swore to obey.

But that's just me.
Old 04-04-2014, 12:18 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Your lead candidate for Pres in 16 supported the Iraqi war, and your current incumbent has acted very much like the last one.

Pete
Old 04-04-2014, 12:29 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
Your lead candidate for Pres in 16 supported the Iraqi war, and your current incumbent has acted very much like the last one.

Pete
Hillary was misled by Dubya and his CIA just like everybody else and cleaning up Dubya's mess inevitably resulted in maintaining some of his policies (at least for a while). Red herring, Pete.
Old 04-04-2014, 12:29 PM

Quote:

Pete
Sen. Clinton's support for the war was based on cooked intelligence provided by the Bush administration. Once the truth was revealed, she no longer supported the war.

Obama has withdrawn our troops from Iraq and has set the stage for our withdrawal from Afghanistan. Do you honestly believe that Bush, or any Republican who might have succeeded him, would have done the same?

John
Old 04-04-2014, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
So now Pakistan has taken advantage of it all and ensures that Afghanistan will remain a turbulent area for their benefit.
The sooner we un-ass that A-O and let India deal with them, the better.
Old 04-04-2014, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
Sen. Clinton's support for the war was based on cooked intelligence provided by the Bush administration. Once the truth was revealed, she no longer supported the war.

Obama has withdrawn our troops from Iraq and has set the stage for our withdrawal from Afghanistan. Do you honestly believe that Bush, or any Republican who might have succeeded him, would have done the same?

John
http://www.politicalchat.org/showpos...0&postcount=11
I vividly remember driving to B'ham for a Crystal Radio Club luncheon listening to the live Colin Powell address to the U.N. on NPR. I understand he refuses to speak to GWB to this day for deceiving him and using him and his his credibility to 'sell' it.
Old 04-04-2014, 12:45 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

This red herring?

4-21-04

"......

Obviously, I've thought about that a lot in the months since," she said. "No, I don't regret giving the president authority because at the time it was in the context of weapons of mass destruction, grave threats to the United States, and clearly, Saddam Hussein had been a real problem for the international community for more than a decade."

....."

http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/04/21/iraq.hillary/

And Bush was already drawing down troops in Iraq. Obamas' promise of 10 months and out was conveniently forgotten anyway.

Pete
Old 04-04-2014, 12:57 PM
Persona non grata

Quote:

Pete
Iraq was your boy's doing.

Don't try to deflect.

That shit doesn't won't work on me.