Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-19-2012, 02:09 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

New on the anti-immigration front in AZ.

Pinal County Sheriff Paul Babeu, who became the face of Arizona border security nationally after he started stridently opposing illegal immigration — threatened his Mexican ex-lover with deportation when the man refused to promise never to disclose their years-long relationship.

http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/2012-...h-deportation/

At the same time, the rock-ribbed Republican, Romney's campaign AZ co-chair, comes out of the closet.

Enough hypocrisy here for ya?
Old 02-19-2012, 03:37 PM

WOW!

You just can't make that kinda stuff up.
Old 02-19-2012, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
Pinal County Sheriff Paul Babeu, who became the face of Arizona border security nationally after he started stridently opposing illegal immigration — threatened his Mexican ex-lover with deportation when the man refused to promise never to disclose their years-long relationship.

http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/2012-...h-deportation/

At the same time, the rock-ribbed Republican, Romney's campaign AZ co-chair, comes out of the closet.

Enough hypocrisy here for ya?

I don't understand Finn,

Homosexuality is no longer a crime, so many homosexuals are coming out into the open.

While I do object to the sheriff threatening anyone, I can't see why Romney's AZ Campaign Co-Chair is even a surprise any longer.

If I didn't know you better, I would assume that you were prejudice against homosexuals ?

Bill
Old 02-19-2012, 06:29 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Bill View Post
I don't understand Finn,

Homosexuality is no longer a crime, so many homosexuals are coming out into the open.

While I do object to the sheriff threatening anyone, I can't see why Romney's AZ Campaign Co-Chair is even a surprise any longer.

If I didn't know you better, I would assume that you were prejudice against homosexuals ?

Bill
You assume incorrectly. The fellow came out of the closet only as a result of his blackmail threats becoming public knowledge. He was an outspoken advocates against illegal immigration while having a illegal immigrant lover the whole time.

I suppose if the GOP wasn't anti-gay, anti-immigrant and Romney's Mormon Church wasn't front and center in battling against gay rights (they were the driving force behind CA Prop 8), there wouldn't be a shred of irony or hypocrisy here.

If you can't see it, your ideology is keeping you from opening your eyes to things like this.
Old 02-19-2012, 07:35 PM

Quote:
You assume incorrectly. The fellow came out of the closet only as a result of his blackmail threats becoming public knowledge. He was an outspoken advocates against illegal immigration while having a illegal immigrant lover the whole time.

I suppose if the GOP wasn't anti-gay, anti-immigrant and Romney's Mormon Church wasn't front and center in battling against gay rights (they were the driving force behind CA Prop 8), there wouldn't be a shred of irony or hypocrisy here.

If you can't see it, your ideology is keeping you from opening your eyes to things like this.

I didn't say you were prejudice, only that I am surprised that you would find this surprising.

A Sheriff with a male illegal alien lover isn't even newsworthy unless he's from Mars, and 6 years old.

So he found true love at the Rio Grandee, and was jilted. The only question that I would want to know, was he doing his job, or did he only allow gay illegal aliens to cross over here. Your article sad his lover had a green card ?

And hypocrisy is almost as common as rain in spring, in every part of the world.

Now if Mitt had an illegal alien lover from Mars, then I would be surprised !

Bill
Old 02-19-2012, 07:54 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Bill - He became Romney's campaign co-chairman based on the exposure he got in Arizona in the forefront of the immigration debate. Romney is looking to get the nomination of the party that is stoking resentment against gays and immigrant and paints itself as the law & order party. Being gay isn't the issue. Abuse of power (blackmail threats to deport) and being a hypocrite is.

Are you really as obtuse as you're portraying yourself to be or are you just reflexively defensive of any transgression by a Republican?
Old 02-19-2012, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Bill - He became Romney's campaign co-chairman based on the exposure he got in Arizona in the forefront of the immigration debate. Romney is looking to get the nomination of the party that is stoking resentment against gays and immigrant and paints itself as the law & order party. Being gay isn't the issue. Abuse of power (blackmail threats to deport) and being a hypocrite is.

Are you really as obtuse as you're portraying yourself to be or are you just reflexively defensive of any transgression by a Republican?

Finn,

I could not begin to defend anyone in every party, let alone ever Republican in the entire party, and I wouldn't too if I could.

I was curious as to why this caught your refined attention.

If it is proven that the Sheriff committed a crime, he should pay for it. To the fullest extent of the law.

And it certainly feels strange to me that Jose went to a Immigration Attorney for the "protection of His Rights", and his lawyer clams he is in fear for his life ?
Sounds like political BS, and will disappear right after the election.

I wander just what happened to all those women that calmed that Herman Cane had relations with them, or sexually harassed them ? HUM?

On a good day, in a non-election cycle, this wouldn't have made the National Enquirer.

My "problem" is that I look at everything from all 360 degrees, why, where, when, who and how. And this looks like political BS to me.

Bill

Last edited by Big_Bill; 02-19-2012 at 09:07 PM.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:15 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Bill View Post
Finn,

I could not begin to defend anyone in every party, let alon ever Republican in the intire party, and I wouldn't too if I could.

I was curious as to why this caught your refined attention.

If it is proven that the Sheriff committed a crime, he should pay for it. To the fullest extent of the law.

And it certainly feels strange to me that Jose went to a Immigration Attorney for the "protection of His Rights", and his lawyer clams he is in fear for his life ?
Sounds like political BS, and will disappear right after the election.

I wander just what happened to all those women that calmed that Herman Cane had relations with them, or sexually harassed them ? HUM?

On a good day this wouldn't have made the National Enquirer.

Bill
It caught my attention because I'm sick and tired of Republican hypocrisy on social and immigration issues. Were it not for these hypocritical practices, I'd probably still be a Republican. When a party stokes the culture war fires, they end up getting burned in the process. It serves them right.

Whether he's gay or straight, the fact is that he tried to blackmail his illegal-alien lover with the threat of deportation if he revealed the affair. That's an abuse of power and reflects on his lack of morals/ethics, regardless of his sexuality. And this guy is a campaign manager for the squeaky clean Romney. Capiche?

Last edited by finnbow; 02-19-2012 at 09:43 PM.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:50 AM
Jigsawed

Quote:

Whether he's gay or straight, the fact is that he tried to blackmail his illegal-alien lover with the threat of deportation if he revealed the affair.
Has this been established or alleged?
Old 02-22-2012, 07:56 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dondilion View Post
Has this been established or alleged?
Alleged at this point. I don't know where it's going from here, but the sheriff immediately resigned from Romney's campaign when news of the threats became public.