Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-03-2012, 11:01 PM

Global Warming Victory you never Heard..

This didn't get the press coverage it should have.. Must be the storm and the election..

Quote:
AP IMPACT: CO2 emissions in US drop to 20-year low - Yahoo! News

PITTSBURGH (AP) — In a surprising turnaround, the amount of carbon dioxide being released into the atmosphere in the U.S. has fallen dramatically to its lowest level in 20 years, and government officials say the biggest reason is that cheap and plentiful natural gas has led many power plant operators to switch from dirtier-burning coal.

Many of the world's leading climate scientists didn't see the drop coming, in large part because it happened as a result of market forces rather than direct government action against carbon dioxide, a greenhouse gas that traps heat in the atmosphere.

In a little-noticed technical report, the U.S. Energy Information Agency, a part of the Energy Department, said this month that energy related U.S. CO2 emissions for the first four months of this year fell to about 1992 levels.

While conservation efforts, the lagging economy and greater use of renewable energy are factors in the CO2 decline, the drop-off is due mainly to low-priced natural gas, the agency said.
Back to 1992 levels?? Holy Cow Batman.. Without Kyoto -- without cap and trade.

Stand by for the cooling to begin?? Or will Mauna Loa CO2 keep going up without us?

This is maybe the most important news for man-caused global warming of the year..

IF ANYBODY sees the mainstream media pick up on this ==== PLEASE post it here.

The greeny eco-nauts don't want to celebrate this victory over evil polluting CO2 because ----

A) They didn't get to pummel big oil and fossil fuel industry.
B) The Government was no part of the solution.
C) THey are too busy trying to stop the development of Nat Gas reserves in this country...
D) Makes the UN KYoto and other treaties look ridiculous..
E) Al Gore is not invested in Nat Gas.

See -- they really didn't care about CO2 levels and Global Warming -- it was all about pushing THEIR weak-ass alternatives and govt control of fossil fuel development and economic "fairness".
Old 11-03-2012, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flacaltenn View Post
IF ANYBODY sees the mainstream media pick up on this ==== PLEASE post it here.
I saw an Associated Press story on it.

John
Old 11-03-2012, 11:16 PM

It seems to me that the reduced levels of atmospheric carbon seen as a result of the use of cleaner fuels is a pretty good argument for accelerated development of alternative technology and a rapid move away from coal.

John
Old 11-03-2012, 11:44 PM
Admin

Is that 1992 comparison only talking about coal? The story while heartening seemed a little soft on details. Graph is from that AP story that you linked to.

Old 11-04-2012, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
Is that 1992 comparison only talking about coal? The story while heartening seemed a little soft on details. Graph is from that AP story that you linked to.

The only logical place for LARGE reductions of CO2 would be from shifting generation from coal to nat gas.. A lot of coal plants have cut production because they can't update their facilities without being subject to onerous requirements from the EPA for new compliance issues. And MANY more are subject to being closed.

Actually natural gas for the TRANSPORTATION part of CO2 emissions is also probably making a dent. LOTS of civic transport now converted to Nat gas.

A tad of this is the economy. A tad is conservation. Not much at all from wind and solar or the rest of the "green list of dubious ideas" like biomass or geothermal.

We HAVE the ability to hasten this natural reduction (if you believe CO2 is the primary reason for climate change) simply by building out 250 new nuclear plants next year. You could shutter EVERY coal generator, tear down the dams and free the salmon. Problem solved. Global destruction averted. But the greenies aren't interested in actually fixing this. They NEED the issue. And they MIGHT be more scared of nuclear power than they are of the planet's fever...
Old 11-04-2012, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
I saw an Associated Press story on it.

John
Yeah -- that's the problem.. AP doesn't have transmitters and newscasters with expensive hairdos..

Old 11-04-2012, 12:33 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
It seems to me that the reduced levels of atmospheric carbon seen as a result of the use of cleaner fuels is a pretty good argument for accelerated development of alternative technology and a rapid move away from coal.

John
Uh.....Yep.
Old 11-04-2012, 12:44 AM
Area Man

I saw something the other day.....it was Romney trying to foment anger in Ohio over the so-called "War on Coal". Which shows what a knothead he is, or at least what knotheads his worshippers are, as Ohio sits right on top of one of the largest natural gas deposits in the country.

It drives me nuts, how anyone can be against seeking out and using cleaner energy sources?
What is it with this love affair with dirty burning fuels....................

Nevermind. I know what it is. It's a political tool used to ply stooges for votes.

Anyhow, I'm glad to see my country switching to natural gas, whatever the reason. It may be non-renewable, and the fracking process may present some challenges, but as a cleaner burning fuel it's a step in the right direction.

Geez.

Regards,
Dave

Last edited by BlueStreak; 11-04-2012 at 01:13 AM.
Old 11-04-2012, 12:46 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Yeah -- that's the problem.. AP doesn't have transmitters and newscasters with expensive hairdos..

Or big boobs.............
Old 11-04-2012, 12:52 AM
Area Man

Quote:
We HAVE the ability to hasten this natural reduction (if you believe CO2 is the primary reason for climate change) simply by building out 250 new nuclear plants next year. You could shutter EVERY coal generator, tear down the dams and free the salmon. Problem solved. Global destruction averted. But the greenies aren't interested in actually fixing this. They NEED the issue. And they MIGHT be more scared of nuclear power than they are of the planet's fever...
There's your key, Flac. Start a "Free the Salmon" movement. Show pictures of Salmon languishing in front of huge dams, unable to get upstream to spawn. Every college girl in the country will get behind it.