Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-09-2012, 12:01 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Principles

My hackles go up every time I hear the feckin' Teabaggers and the GOP talking about their unwillingness to "compromise their principles." Are they thereby saying that anyone who believes differently than they do has no principles? Not only do 50% of Americans not share the GOP's "principles," they have their own which often differ.

Different principles inform the policy positions of both parties and their respective constituencies. If both refuse to "compromise their principles," there will never been any compromises whatsoever.

In short, in politics the principle of refusing to compromise your principles is a recipe for failure. I don't find anything the least bit respectable about such intransigence.
Old 11-09-2012, 12:28 PM
Resident octogenarian

Well to start with a horse's rear end has more principles than a tea bagger.
Old 11-09-2012, 12:37 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

I only know one tea party individual fairly closely. She's a good neighbor.

Pete
Old 11-09-2012, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
My hackles go up every time I hear the feckin' Teabaggers and the GOP talking about their unwillingness to "compromise their principles." Are they thereby saying that anyone who believes differently than they do has no principles? Not only do 50% of Americans not share the GOP's "principles," they have their own which often differ.

Different principles inform the policy positions of both parties and their respective constituencies. If both refuse to "compromise their principles," there will never been any compromises whatsoever.

In short, in politics the principle of refusing to compromise your principles is a recipe for failure. I don't find anything the least bit respectable about such intransigence.
What "principles" has Obama compromised?
Old 11-09-2012, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
What "principles" has Obama compromised?
Most people from your state disagree.....
Old 11-09-2012, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
He didn't try to shove single payer, or card check down your throat.

(But he should have.)

Regards,
Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
He allowed the Bush tax cuts to survive in toto, compromising the principle that those who have the most should share a little more. He compromised on finding a reduction in the deficit without raising revenues. He compromised on keeping GITMO open, because of those asserting the "principle" of NIBY. He has been a centrist president.

Regards,

D-Ray
Obama could not get agreement among DEMOCRATS for single payer. There wasn't a need for any Repub votes for the Dems to pass whatever version of health care reform they wanted. As for card check, the Dems took too long with health reform to take up single payer when they had the votes for it.

As far as the tax cuts, find me a majority of Dems would would have voted in favor of a tax increase ahead of the 2010 mid term elections. Obama didn't have support in his own party for that.

How was there a compromise on budget cuts without revenues? Again, no support in his own party for revenue increases. Both sides failure to agree got us to the sequester which both parties are actively trying to avoid.

Obama didn't compromise on GITMO. He simply had no place to send many of the GITMO detainees, and some of those that were repatriated have reportedly resumed their terrorist activity.
Old 11-09-2012, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
Obama could not get agreement among DEMOCRATS for single payer. There wasn't a need for any Repub votes for the Dems to pass whatever version of health care reform they wanted. As for card check, the Dems took too long with health reform to take up single payer when they had the votes for it.

As far as the tax cuts, find me a majority of Dems would would have voted in favor of a tax increase ahead of the 2010 mid term elections. Obama didn't have support in his own party for that.

How was there a compromise on budget cuts without revenues? Again, no support in his own party for revenue increases. Both sides failure to agree got us to the sequester which both parties are actively trying to avoid.

Obama didn't compromise on GITMO. He simply had no place to send many of the GITMO detainees, and some of those that were repatriated have reportedly resumed their terrorist activity.
All under Bush.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lists_o...d_to_terrorism

And he DID have places to send them. There were more than a few places willing to accept them in their local correctional facilities. It was Republicans in Congress who blocked the transfers.

John
Old 11-09-2012, 03:10 PM
Admin

No comment, Whell?
Old 11-09-2012, 01:22 PM
Area Man

He didn't try to shove single payer, or card check down your throat.

(But he should have.)

Regards,
Dave
Old 11-09-2012, 01:53 PM
Loyal Opposition

He allowed the Bush tax cuts to survive in toto, compromising the principle that those who have the most should share a little more. He compromised on finding a reduction in the deficit without raising revenues. He compromised on keeping GITMO open, because of those asserting the "principle" of NIBY. He has been a centrist president.

Regards,

D-Ray