Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-28-2017, 11:29 PM

http://crooksandliars.com/2017/09/al...kneeling-white
Old 09-29-2017, 09:58 AM

Driving while black, or why Trump needs to STFU about this. Post from FB friend.

This week my husband, who happens to be black, was pulled over by a cop. Rather than the standard, “Hello, Can I see your license and registration, please? Do you know why I’m pulling you over?” (which is what I’ve always received from any police officer pulling me over (and I happen to be white), there was no greeting and the first question asked was, “Do you own this vehicle?” This proceeded with asking him for his driver’s license and asking him, “Is there anything on your record that I should be made aware of?”

You see, these questions you might want to say are a coincidence of a situation between a cop and a black man. Unfortunately, this is not the first time this has happened. In fact, my husband has been stopped 5 times in the last year, never given a ticket, honestly, because the reasons for him being stopped have been frivolous. Some examples are, “Oh, I wanted to check your tint on your windows (which anyone can see with the human eye are just a slight manufacturer’s tint, and not to mention the previous owner of this vehicle, has never been stopped for this same question. Another example, “Your lights aren’t on, have you been drinking?” which they’re automatic lights on that specific car and were on, and no he hadn’t been drinking, or “You have snow on your license plate (and so did every other car going by because it was snowing), do you own this vehicle?”

This has also happened to my brother-in-law (also black) where a cop stopped him in his car and the first question asked is, “Do you own this vehicle?” Am I missing something? Can black men own vehicles? Can they have clean records? What’s interesting is these two are two of the brightest and kindest humans I know, and who much of our community knows. They would take the shirt off their back for anyone who needed it.

My husband is committing 7 years on a Board that supports lifting up homeless youth. He’s passionate about this type of work and at one of their fundraisers the Board Members walked around thanking those that came to support their programs. As he walked up to a table, one of the white men asked him how he was doing since he graduated from the homeless youth program?!?! (Mind you it’s only Board Members walking around dressed up in suits and ties, dresses, etc., and the youth that come out of the program vary in race and ethnic background, not all are black). Our neighbor just happened to be at that table and was upset about this remark and set this man straight that this was her neighbor, who is a master gardener, excellent father, and on the Board! Also mind you, no other Board Member was asked this same question that night, and there are also no other black people on that Board.

Like I said, my husband is a lot about getting in the community and making positive change, and being a mental health therapist, he has seen where there is a gap with this population and the police force. Working with the homeless and folks with dual diagnoses on the streets where we lived prior to Duluth, there was a new model emerging between police and mental health practitioners to work together out on the streets and the results were positive. The Duluth Police Dept asked him to come present on this model in interest of creating something similar here in Duluth. After he was done presenting and opened it up for questions, the first question that came from a cop sitting in the audience was, “Is there anything in your background we should be concerned about?” My husband responded that he was very proud of his background. Next question? Happy to say that the DPD has hired a mental health practitioner and is trying to support this model now.

This is not to at all print all cops as bad. We actually know multiple cops who are great and working to make these changes within this system that is filled with implicit biases.

This is not at all to say that all white males going to fundraisers and supporting projects are bad. What I’m trying to share with you is that there are implicit biases happening every single day to black people and within these biases what’s really being projected to black people is they’re being labeled a 2nd class citizen thug until proven otherwise. This is hard for a heart to endure every day. It’s hard for a psyche to endure every day.

This is not being said to say that all white people are bad. What is bad is when you see this happening and nothing gets done about it. We all have our own biases and when we choose to close our eyes rather than open them to the biases we are portraying we are moving backwards and contributing to the problems rather than moving forward and making positive change.

When our President is vulgar about men and women kneeling to the flag in peaceful protest (our Constitutional Rights that make the USA and the flag what it is) in bringing awareness to the injustices that are continually happening to black people, yet can hardly say a word about neo-Nazi protests that killed someone, I get deeply concerned.
When a restaurant owner In Wisconsin declares on social media that these “protesters should be killed”, I am deeply concerned.

When a Fire Chief has a “no-good n@%$^* list”, and broadcasts this on TV I am deeply concerned.

There are many ways to stand up and fight for what the flag represents (our Constitutional Rights that make the USA) and fighting a war to protect those rights, and peacefully protesting to protect those rights are both supporting and standing up to fight for the US Constitution. These two means of support to our country and what it represents are not innately opposite of each other. They’re both supporting and defending the very words we speak in our Pledge of Allegiance…….the freedom, liberty, and justice for ALL.

I kneel with all of them in respect and honor for what the flag and our Constitution represent, for the work that needs to continue to happen to create awareness, and for the truest sense of the words, “liberty, and justice for ALL.”

Last edited by Chicks; 09-29-2017 at 10:03 AM.
Old 09-29-2017, 10:04 AM
Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pio1980 View Post
^^^ Alex Jones says the protestors are 'kneeling to white genocide,' that being the most extreme and inflamatory way he can think of to lie about what the protestors want. That racism card the trolls were always referring to is now being played big time, by them.

Ironically, it all started because one man wasn't willing to do what felt to him like 'standing and saluting black genocide.'

Last edited by donquixote99; 09-29-2017 at 10:12 AM.
Old 09-29-2017, 10:11 AM
Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicks View Post
Driving while black, or why Trump needs to STFU about this. Post from FB friend.

This week my husband, who happens to be black, was pulled over by a cop. Rather than the standard, “Hello, Can I see your license and registration, please? Do you know why I’m pulling you over?” (which is what I’ve always received from any police officer pulling me over (and I happen to be white), there was no greeting and the first question asked was, “Do you own this vehicle?” This proceeded with asking him for his driver’s license and asking him, “Is there anything on your record that I should be made aware of?”

You see, these questions you might want to say are a coincidence of a situation between a cop and a black man. Unfortunately, this is not the first time this has happened. In fact, my husband has been stopped 5 times in the last year, never given a ticket, honestly, because the reasons for him being stopped have been frivolous. Some examples are, “Oh, I wanted to check your tint on your windows (which anyone can see with the human eye are just a slight manufacturer’s tint, and not to mention the previous owner of this vehicle, has never been stopped for this same question. Another example, “Your lights aren’t on, have you been drinking?” which they’re automatic lights on that specific car and were on, and no he hadn’t been drinking, or “You have snow on your license plate (and so did every other car going by because it was snowing), do you own this vehicle?”

This has also happened to my brother-in-law (also black) where a cop stopped him in his car and the first question asked is, “Do you own this vehicle?” Am I missing something? Can black men own vehicles? Can they have clean records? What’s interesting is these two are two of the brightest and kindest humans I know, and who much of our community knows. They would take the shirt off their back for anyone who needed it.

My husband is committing 7 years on a Board that supports lifting up homeless youth. He’s passionate about this type of work and at one of their fundraisers the Board Members walked around thanking those that came to support their programs. As he walked up to a table, one of the white men asked him how he was doing since he graduated from the homeless youth program?!?! (Mind you it’s only Board Members walking around dressed up in suits and ties, dresses, etc., and the youth that come out of the program vary in race and ethnic background, not all are black). Our neighbor just happened to be at that table and was upset about this remark and set this man straight that this was her neighbor, who is a master gardener, excellent father, and on the Board! Also mind you, no other Board Member was asked this same question that night, and there are also no other black people on that Board.

Like I said, my husband is a lot about getting in the community and making positive change, and being a mental health therapist, he has seen where there is a gap with this population and the police force. Working with the homeless and folks with dual diagnoses on the streets where we lived prior to Duluth, there was a new model emerging between police and mental health practitioners to work together out on the streets and the results were positive. The Duluth Police Dept asked him to come present on this model in interest of creating something similar here in Duluth. After he was done presenting and opened it up for questions, the first question that came from a cop sitting in the audience was, “Is there anything in your background we should be concerned about?” My husband responded that he was very proud of his background. Next question? Happy to say that the DPD has hired a mental health practitioner and is trying to support this model now.

This is not to at all print all cops as bad. We actually know multiple cops who are great and working to make these changes within this system that is filled with implicit biases.

This is not at all to say that all white males going to fundraisers and supporting projects are bad. What I’m trying to share with you is that there are implicit biases happening every single day to black people and within these biases what’s really being projected to black people is they’re being labeled a 2nd class citizen thug until proven otherwise. This is hard for a heart to endure every day. It’s hard for a psyche to endure every day.

This is not being said to say that all white people are bad. What is bad is when you see this happening and nothing gets done about it. We all have our own biases and when we choose to close our eyes rather than open them to the biases we are portraying we are moving backwards and contributing to the problems rather than moving forward and making positive change.

When our President is vulgar about men and women kneeling to the flag in peaceful protest (our Constitutional Rights that make the USA and the flag what it is) in bringing awareness to the injustices that are continually happening to black people, yet can hardly say a word about neo-Nazi protests that killed someone, I get deeply concerned.
When a restaurant owner In Wisconsin declares on social media that these “protesters should be killed”, I am deeply concerned.

When a Fire Chief has a “no-good n@%$^* list”, and broadcasts this on TV I am deeply concerned.

There are many ways to stand up and fight for what the flag represents (our Constitutional Rights that make the USA) and fighting a war to protect those rights, and peacefully protesting to protect those rights are both supporting and standing up to fight for the US Constitution. These two means of support to our country and what it represents are not innately opposite of each other. They’re both supporting and defending the very words we speak in our Pledge of Allegiance…….the freedom, liberty, and justice for ALL.

I kneel with all of them in respect and honor for what the flag and our Constitution represent, for the work that needs to continue to happen to create awareness, and for the truest sense of the words, “liberty, and justice for ALL.”
Can you point me to that on FB, chicks? I want to share it.
Old 09-29-2017, 10:12 AM

https://www.facebook.com/shannon.may...55412906114584
Old 09-29-2017, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob T View Post
Ted Nugent posted on FaceBook last night that "There is no racism in America."

So...Problem solved. Let's move along...nothing to see here.

Really Ted?
Here's a little something for Ted to read. Not a word yet about this incident from the racist in chief.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/28/us/air...urs/index.html
Old 09-29-2017, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicks View Post
Poll: 84% support NFL players right to protest. The other 16% must be Trump's idiot base.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/poll-...164811638.html
Fact is, this isn't about "a player's right to protest." As far as I'm concerned, they can protest all they want. But there's a time and a place for everything, and that's not the time or the place.

If I'm an NFL owner, I'm going crazy. These are my employees who work in a very public venue, who are choosing their place of work as their forum to protest. As a result, the story in the press isn't about my product. Its about the workplace activities of my employees that have nothing to do with my product. And there's no doubt that its alienating some of my customers, who pay obscene amounts for the price of admission to see my product. It was also all that the news media talked about early in the week during a full weekend of NFL games.

Take the Green Bay/Chicago game last night for instance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRrukXArFZ8

The players didn't kneel or stay in the locker room, they did the arm link. But Packers fans apparently came prepared to participate in a more traditional manner, some even bringing small USA flags to wave. If I'm an owner, the only way I can interpret that is that the fans were responding to the players behavior. And, for the most part, that reaction didn't favor the players. Whatever the owner's political stance, that ain't good.
Old 09-29-2017, 12:06 PM

Who knew protesting institutionalized racial opression could be risky.
Paraphrasing the instigator in chief.

Last edited by Pio1980; 09-29-2017 at 01:26 PM.
Old 09-29-2017, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
Fact is, this isn't about "a player's right to protest." As far as I'm concerned, they can protest all they want. But there's a time and a place for everything, and that's not the time or the place.

If I'm an NFL owner, I'm going crazy. These are my employees who work in a very public venue, who are choosing their place of work as their forum to protest. As a result, the story in the press isn't about my product. Its about the workplace activities of my employees that have nothing to do with my product. And there's no doubt that its alienating some of my customers, who pay obscene amounts for the price of admission to see my product. It was also all that the news media talked about early in the week during a full weekend of NFL games.

Take the Green Bay/Chicago game last night for instance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRrukXArFZ8

The players didn't kneel or stay in the locker room, they did the arm link. But Packers fans apparently came prepared to participate in a more traditional manner, some even bringing small USA flags to wave. If I'm an owner, the only way I can interpret that is that the fans were responding to the players behavior. And, for the most part, that reaction didn't favor the players. Whatever the owner's political stance, that ain't good.
The owners have formally allowed these forms of protest by the players, then what?

Why they have allowed it has nothing to do with their support of their players First Amendment rights, but that's another story altogether. If only the fans knew how much the owners have given to Trump's political campaigns.
Old 09-29-2017, 01:04 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
Those who don't have the balls to protest racism and oppression don't get to pick the time and place for those who do. Regardless, it's totally inappropriate for a President to tell business owners who to fire and for what reasons. Moreover, the flag is an inanimate piece of cloth that cannot feel "disrespect" directed its way like Muslims, Blacks, women, Muslims, and Hispanics do when disrespected by the President. You must really be pretty stupid to get sucked in by the red meat directed by Trump to GOP rednecks down in Alabama to distract from his myriad failures.

Last edited by finnbow; 09-29-2017 at 02:01 PM.