Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-30-2020, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordGT90 View Post
The framers would strongly disagree if they still lived.
I don't know about that.
The whole global flying killer robots thing might have them seeing guns in a different light.
Old 07-30-2020, 07:31 AM

That's an entirely different topic worthy of discussion on its own. So far, no robot has been given the ability to pull the trigger of its own decision. It's always a handler doing so. As tech evolves, this will remain an open question about where we draw the line. Some have argued, and I tend to agree, that humans are unwilling to give the ability to fire over to a robot. Besides the moral reasons, there's the liability reason. We're seeing the liability questions rise with Tesla's autopilot and similar systems where using the autonomous driving features have resulted in human deaths. Who is at fault? The driver which didn't intervene to stop the car? The programmer for failing to make the car not see the problem and respond accordingly? The manufacturer of the car for not providing the necessary situational awareness to the software to make a judgement on reaction? The company itself, for expecting the customer to trust the autopilot system except when it results in fatalities? I haven't really looked at those case laws but as autopilot systems get more and more advanced to the point there aren't even steering wheels in cars anymore, this issue becomes much more challenging to address.

Last edited by FordGT90; 07-30-2020 at 08:41 AM.