Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-04-2013, 11:13 PM
Sir Lord Vader of Cheam

Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke
Quote:
Originally Posted by icenine View Post
The biggest moral stain in our history was slavery and jim crow.
Actually, I can think of at least one more...
Old 07-04-2013, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke View Post
Yes you are right.
Old 07-05-2013, 12:56 AM
Admin

Quote:
Indeed. We have a long road ahead of us.
Old 07-05-2013, 04:19 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by icenine View Post
I think the thing that makes us very positive in the eyes of the world is that we our a classless society in that we do not discriminate on the basis of the ACQUISITION of wealth...in other words we offer more or less equality of opportunity for all people regardless of birth.

Ummmmmm............I'd say that just because one can move up, or in some cases down, from one class to the next does not mean we are a "classless society". I do believe this is one of the greatest illusions of the American society. Class warfare does indeed exist, here in America and the belief that it does not, is the reason so many are losing the fight and slipping into working poverty.

They will cook you a hotdog, smile in your face and tell you "...we're all in the same boat." at the company picnic. But, just let them catch you in the executive bathroom and watch what happens.

Now, if you are saying we are a country that has no class........one trip to WalMart is your point made.

Dave

Last edited by BlueStreak; 07-05-2013 at 04:24 AM.
Old 07-05-2013, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
Ummmmmm............I'd say that just because one can move up, or in some cases down, from one class to the next does not mean we are a "classless society". I do believe this is one of the greatest illusions of the American society. Class warfare does indeed exist, here in America and the belief that it does not, is the reason so many are losing the fight and slipping into working poverty.

They will cook you a hotdog, smile in your face and tell you "...we're all in the same boat." at the company picnic. But, just let them catch you in the executive bathroom and watch what happens.

Now, if you are saying we are a country that has no class........one trip to WalMart is your point made.

Dave

you are right Dave I did not say we do not have classes.....I was talking about equality of opportunity that is present here more than some other countries so I do agree with you. Maybe it is not as present as it was say in the 90s however
Old 07-04-2013, 07:28 PM

Dr Who
Old 07-04-2013, 07:53 PM

More Would of Should of Could of ...........

With how we had growing pains, I believe with out our start there would be many different countries instead of one. Something about our birth and expansion West gave a sense of unity.

Barney
Old 07-04-2013, 08:33 PM

They are much better at us in regards to health care.
Old 07-05-2013, 12:04 PM
Sir Lord Vader of Cheam

Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke
Personally, due to the massive distance between wanton so************************m and unfettered capitalism, I believe things are just about right if 40% of the population is currently displeased with whatever the government is doing: to me, that implies the center of the Bell Curve is generally okay with you.

It's when the median becomes skewed that things get scary, although there are sometimes reasons for it.

What I don't get is when folks at either end of the thick middle start claiming things like totalitarian or so************************t regimes. Seriously? That just proves you don't know what those words mean.

Overall, I can't call the American Revolution a flop when, in general, I'm pretty pleased with what goes on, here.
Old 07-05-2013, 05:59 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Overall, I can't call the American Revolution a flop when, in general, I'm pretty pleased with what goes on, here.
True enough, but statistics (at least those cited by the author) seem to indicate that those living in Canada are even more pleased to be there than we are to be here. That was the point of the article, after all.