Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-26-2023, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Bana View Post
I've asked, over and over, on every current events forum that I have ever inhabited, for a rational and operationally feasible way to get guns out of the hands of the mentally ill. Nobody liberal or conservative has ever been able to provide a way. There are just as many "nut jobs" per capita in the EU as there are in the US. Why do we have 22 times the number of gun homicides per capita as in the EU? Because handguns and assault weapons or "war weapons" are virtually impossible to get in the EU. Most republican politicians have refused to support handgun restrictions on the legally blind for christ's sake.

From what I've read, this guy had a domestic violence history. For sure anybody who has a recorded history of domestic violence problems, and anybody who has ever had a court order of protection placed on them, should not be able get their hands on any gun of any kind.
Permanently!
Old 10-26-2023, 09:37 AM

https://apnews.com/article/maine-sho...2ad4b26f4b78cd

What we know about the mass shooting in Maine so far
Old 10-26-2023, 09:57 AM

Quote:
What the fuck...eh?

Earlier this year a number of Republican members of Congress wore controversial new pins on their lapels in the shape of miniature AR-15 rifles
We know who's on the NRA payroll and now they're bragging about it.
Old 10-26-2023, 09:59 AM

Two things bother me regarding this senseless killing. tThe suspect was treated or mental health reasons for two weeks this year, yet he is allowed to possess an assault weapon.

Its been well over 12 hours since the first shooting at the bowling alley, yet the killer is at large. Multiple towns are shut down and do hope he is located soon. Still wondering how LE lost track of him.
Old 10-26-2023, 10:27 AM
Ready

Quote:
I've asked, over and over, on every current events forum that I have ever inhabited, for a rational and operationally feasible way to get guns out of the hands of the mentally ill. Nobody liberal or conservative has ever been able to provide a way. There are just as many "nut jobs" per capita in the EU as there are in the US. Why do we have 22 times the number of gun homicides per capita as in the EU? Because handguns and assault weapons or "war weapons" are virtually impossible to get in the EU. Most republican politicians have refused to support handgun restrictions on the legally blind for christ's sake.

From what I've read, this guy had a domestic violence history. For sure anybody who has a recorded history of domestic violence problems, and anybody who has ever had a court order of protection placed on them, should not be able get their hands on any gun of any kind.
1. The human material is basically the same across the globe. Americans are not innately a crazier race than Europeans.

2. There are enormous differences in the rate of firearms homicides and suicides in the US and Europe, to include the extreme events called 'mass shootings.'

3. Point 2 must be the result of particular aspects of the social environment in the US. Efforts to reduce gun violence here should focus on this. Accusations that Americans are particularly awful people are not helpful. What we have is laws and culture that are in some ways awful.

4. If we are to stay a democracy, changing laws and culture is a complex, time consuming project. But immediate attention to helpful legal changes may give limited good results. Background checks and red-flag laws can be implemented in more places. Laws limiting the distribution of the most dangerous types of weapons should be sought as possible.

5. Changes in more people's cultural ideas, ideology, and consequent support of legal and behavioral changes is needed, but getting it will be a very slow process, requiring unusually enlightened leadership.
Old 10-26-2023, 02:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixote99 View Post
1. The human material is basically the same across the globe. Americans are not innately a crazier race than Europeans.

2. There are enormous differences in the rate of firearms homicides and suicides in the US and Europe, to include the extreme events called 'mass shootings.'

3. Point 2 must be the result of particular aspects of the social environment in the US. Efforts to reduce gun violence here should focus on this. Accusations that Americans are particularly awful people are not helpful. What we have is laws and culture that are in some ways awful.

4. If we are to stay a democracy, changing laws and culture is a complex, time consuming project. But immediate attention to helpful legal changes may give limited good results. Background checks and red-flag laws can be implemented in more places. Laws limiting the distribution of the most dangerous types of weapons should be sought as possible.

5. Changes in more people's cultural ideas, ideology, and consequent support of legal and behavioral changes is needed, but getting it will be a very slow process, requiring unusually enlightened leadership.
I'm not arguing any of this. But i have to say something about having to be patient with the people of this country when it comes to doing the right thing about much of anything...much less our history of democratized gun carnage. Its like we are a country full of preadolescent middle school children who have to be fed change in emotionally tolerable doses, lest we start stomping our feet, kicking holes in walls and breaking windows.

The Dunblane massacre took place at Dunblane Primary School in Dunblane, near Stirling, Scotland, on 13 March 1996, when 43-year-old Thomas Hamilton shot dead 16 pupils and one teacher and injured 15 others before killing himself. It remains the deadliest mass shooting in British history. And within a year with the approval of the British people, Parliament outlawed possession of handguns and any other firearms outside of long barreled hunting rifles and shotguns. Never happened there again.

Perhaps Great Britain has enough maturity in their electorate to get this done.

Last edited by Ike Bana; 10-26-2023 at 02:25 PM.
Old 10-26-2023, 02:41 PM

Quote:
I'm not arguing any of this. But i have to say something about having to be patient with the people of this country when it comes to doing the right thing about much of anything...much less our history of democratized gun carnage. Its like we are a country full of preadolescent middle school children who have to be fed change in emotionally tolerable doses, lest we start stomping our feet, kicking holes in walls and breaking windows.

The Dunblane massacre took place at Dunblane Primary School in Dunblane, near Stirling, Scotland, on 13 March 1996, when 43-year-old Thomas Hamilton shot dead 16 pupils and one teacher and injured 15 others before killing himself. It remains the deadliest mass shooting in British history. And within a year with the approval of the British people, Parliament outlawed possession of handguns and any other firearms outside of long barreled hunting rifles and shotguns. Never happened there again.

Perhaps Great Britain has enough maturity in their electorate to get this done.
Been meaning to stream this;
Listen to: Introducing 'The Gun Machine' Ep. 1: The U.S. gun industry's surprising origin story - https://one.npr.org/i/1204631961:1204631963
Old 10-26-2023, 03:58 PM
Jigsawed

Great Britain's civilian population was essentially disarmed.

Civilian armament is an American culture.
Old 10-26-2023, 04:22 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dondilion View Post
Great Britain's civilian population was essentially disarmed.

Civilian armament is an American culture.
So are mass murders.
Old 10-26-2023, 04:39 PM
Jigsawed

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
So are mass murders.
Indeed!

However, I am pointing to the basic reason for the better Brits' govt results.