Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-19-2013, 09:37 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Blaming the Reps for a city run by a Dem machine since forever is hilarious.

Sadly the downfall of one of the great cities in the US is not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke View Post
If by "fix" you mean belly up.
It took Voinovich to turn around another rust belt city the Dem machine had thoroughly milked. Maybe if Detroit asks really, really nicely he'll come out of retirement

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
I would go, if for nothing else than to see where some of the best American music ever recorded was made.

Motown, baby!
She will rise again.

A flashback:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lwa4VHTDes

Pete
Old 07-19-2013, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke View Post
The very moment Ronald Reagan became President, it was going to come to this. Clinton and Obama only managed to hold on while bailing water under his original sinking ship policies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerets View Post
What get's me is that some, the very people who feel the federal government needs to stay out of local politics. Seems to place the blame at the feet of the federal when locals fail. Or want a bailout!

Me, I think it is all connected and needs everyones input and action.

Barney

So, gents, if you're consistent, and intent on being critical of the office of the Prez and / or the Federal Gov't for the demise of big cities like Detroit, here's your opportunity to be consistent, and criticize the current occupant of the Oval Office for his "sinking ship policies":

Obama made a campaign issue out of Romney's claim that Detroit should pursue bankruptcy. Now that the rubber has hit the road, we get this:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/theova...ement/2567539/

"While leaders on the ground in Michigan and the city's creditors understand that they (emphasis added) must find a solution to Detroit's serious financial challenge, we remain committed to continuing our strong partnership with Detroit as it works to recover and revitalize and maintain its status as one of America's great cities."

In other words, Obama favors Detroit's pursuit of bankruptcy. No help, no loans, no bailouts for Detroit will be forthcoming.
Old 07-19-2013, 11:42 AM

I believe during the campaign, Detroit implied the auto industry that is a revenue generator. In this situation, Detroit means the city that is bankrupt, revenue comes from tax collections and now cannot service their loan payments and no near term hope for increased tax revenue. Nice try.
Old 07-19-2013, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeamOn View Post
I believe during the campaign, Detroit implied the auto industry that is a revenue generator. In this situation, Detroit means the city that is bankrupt, revenue comes from tax collections and now cannot service their loan payments and no near term hope for increased tax revenue. Nice try.
Fair enough. Still, the fact remains that those critical of Reagan and Bush for the decline of the cities, and point to bail outs / loans afforded to other cities, will likely not find reason to criticize this president for telling Detroit's government that "they" will need to fix the problem on their own.
Old 07-19-2013, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
The MC5 were the house band at the once-famous Grande Ballroom. The condition of the Grande Ballroom today, versus how it was when the Who introduced Tommy to the USA from the Grande Ballroom's stage, seems analogous to the fall of the city.

Before: http://thegrandeballroomstory.com/pictures/

After: http://www.flickr.com/photos/detroitderek/2255585682/
Excellent "house band".

Sad, the Grande Ballroom. But there it is and it could still be restored.

Here is Winterland. Not so easy.

Carl
Old 07-19-2013, 12:33 PM
Admin

Maybe FEMA can loan a fleet of D8's to shrink the city limits since they can't afford the acreage they have? (A point put forth over at AK in this appropriately polite thread that I have been following)
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=526417

Detroit has structural problems that will not have many, if any easy fixes.
Keep in mind that most government employees don't have SS as a refuge to fall back upon. Are we to let them starve in that cruel wasteland of Reaganonmic's maniacal "we need to run gubmint like a business" mantra?

How about we spend that $50billion gift to their favorite lobbyists, that the mendacious tea party xenophobes want to spend on the southern border, on bailing out Detroit and other parts of the rust belt?

(hey, this is after all a political forum and if anyone thinks that Lansing has the best interests of the citizen's of Michigans best interests at heart, they haven't been following the news coming out of the state capitol. They certainly aren't defering their minority agenda of late.)
Old 07-19-2013, 12:47 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Agreed.

And he is punished for it daily.

Chas
Awwwww. Really? I never thought Mike was any sort of shrinking violet, hot house flower. If you think that spirited debate is "punishment" I would submit that you are mistaken brother. It's the realm of ideas that get's everyone wound up in this political arena. Sure, it gets gladiatorial at times but I happen to think once all is said and done? We could retire to the local watering hole and get stinkin' drunk and laugh about it.

A bit of namecallin' is part and parcel of this age old battle. The more creative the better and no shootin' irons allowed my redneckistanian friend.
Old 07-19-2013, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
Maybe FEMA can loan a fleet of D8's to shrink the city limits since they can't afford the acreage they have? (A point put forth over at AK in this appropriately polite thread that I have been following)
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=526417

Detroit has structural problems that will not have many, if any easy fixes.
Keep in mind that most government employees don't have SS as a refuge to fall back upon. Are we to let them starve in that cruel wasteland of Reaganonmic's maniacal "we need to run gubmint like a business" mantra?

How about we spend that $50billion gift to their favorite lobbyists, that the mendacious tea party xenophobes want to spend on the southern border, on bailing out Detroit and other parts of the rust belt?

(hey, this is after all a political forum and if anyone thinks that Lansing has the best interests of the citizen's of Michigans best interests at heart, they haven't been following the news coming out of the state capitol. They certainly aren't defering their minority agenda of late.)
Well, somebody's gotta getta haircut. I'd say let's start with the one's who profited from the problem in the first place.

Chas
Old 07-19-2013, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
Fair enough. Still, the fact remains that those critical of Reagan and Bush for the decline of the cities, and point to bail outs / loans afforded to other cities, will likely not find reason to criticize this president for telling Detroit's government that "they" will need to fix the problem on their own.
Thank you. I do not believe that cities (municipalities) need to be bailed out even though it has been done in the past. Cities have created their own problems with entering and under-funding public service union contracts. So it is no wonder that this sector takes the largest hit when cities go broke. It's called cause and effect.

City of Stockton, CA which is about 60 miles from us was not bailed out either by the Obama administration. An ex-police chief of Stockton after 8 moths of service was drawing a $200K+ annual pension. So why should the tax payers from the private sector (since they contribute the most) ever need to bail out a local government's largesse especially by the federal govt.? Who is going to bail my small business out if I mismanage and go broke? The government would shut me down first to make sure they get paid first.
Old 07-19-2013, 01:03 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Well, somebody's gotta getta haircut. I'd say let's start with the one's who profited from the problem in the first place.

Chas
Perzactly but who that would be is the crux of that bisquit. Please no more Cantrell solutions ala Lawrence, Kansas.