We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-01-2014, 02:44 PM
Persona non grata

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixote99 View Post
I hate plumbing.
I agree.

My success rate for putting plumbing back together so that it doesn't leak is about 50%.
Old 11-01-2014, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
I've been plumbing all morning and STILL have a stubborn drip. Screw it. Naptime.

"Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love ya, tomorrow, you're only a day awaaaaaayyy!!!!!"

Dave
Don't talk to me about stubborn drips. Kitchen tap drips. Two hours of tools and swearing later it still drips but now it works backwards. Turn it off and it's on. Turn it on and its off.

Sod it I'm off to play with my very second-hand PVR. Works ok as long as I don't change volume on the TV. Seems to be on the same frequency as the PVR.
Old 11-01-2014, 05:25 PM
Area Man

I USED to be good at it. Heck, I replaced ALL of the copper pipe in this house, 10 years ago. Then in the garage yesterday, a vehicle ramp gets knock over onto a stretch of PVC, cracking it, and I think, "Replace it with copper, it will last forever..........".

Oy, Oy, Oy are my pipe sweating skills rusty.

Dave
Old 11-01-2014, 06:14 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
I USED to be good at it. Heck, I replaced ALL of the copper pipe in this house, 10 years ago. Then in the garage yesterday, a vehicle ramp gets knock over onto a stretch of PVC, cracking it, and I think, "Replace it with copper, it will last forever..........".

Oy, Oy, Oy are my pipe sweating skills rusty.

Dave
Clean and dry with lot's of flux.
Old 11-02-2014, 05:59 AM
Resident octogenarian

Our house was plumbed with PVC at the start. Well water here is acid (Thanks Ohio Power) and our neighbor had to replace all their copper with PVC. It would even eat the brass or bronze fixtures so we installed an acid neutralizer a while back.
Old 11-02-2014, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Joad View Post
I agree.

My success rate for putting plumbing back together so that it doesn't leak is about 50%.
I'm having plumbing issues too. The basement toilet was running so I put in a new tank kit. The new water ballast leaked and sunk to the bottom of the tank so I had to do it all over again.

Today I'm working on the upstairs bathroom sink which has been dripping. I put a new cold water valve in yesterday. It still drips and now the hot water doesn't work at all. So today I'm removing the flexible pipe connecting the faucet and shut off valves to see if there is a hard water deposit clog. If the shut off valve is clear I'll check the flexible pipe. If the pipe is OK then the faucet itself is fucked and I'll have to replace it. We have really hard water here which can fuck up plumbing pretty quickly.

I couldn't help the furnace. It's probably 45 - 50 years old. I lit it as I always do this time of year but when it cycled on flames shot from the front of the unit. It was fortunate I happened to be standing right there and was able to put out the fire quickly. Melted all the wiring and the shut off valve. It was corroded beyond repair, so $2600 later I have a shiny new furnace, including a new flue liner to bring it up to code.
Old 11-02-2014, 09:51 AM
Persona non grata

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPots View Post
I couldn't help the furnace. It's probably 45 - 50 years old. I lit it as I always do this time of year but when it cycled on flames shot from the front of the unit. It was fortunate I happened to be standing right there and was able to put out the fire quickly. Melted all the wiring and the shut off valve. It was corroded beyond repair, so $2600 later I have a shiny new furnace, including a new flue liner to bring it up to code.
45-50 years is pretty good for a furnace isn't it?

I'll bet they don't make them like that any more.
Old 11-04-2014, 09:58 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Grew up with a converted coal furnace, gravity riser - no fan. It was huge and awesome. They had to break in into pieces to get it out of the basement.

Sadly it was certainly horribly inefficient. But it would've worked forever.

Pete
Old 11-04-2014, 10:17 AM
Resident octogenarian

We had a coal stove in the front hall.