Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-03-2022, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajoo View Post
So the voters, not the Wingnuts-Christian Conservatives - their Republican operatives, got to express their will, 60% over 40%. The wish to protect abortion rights like the majority of Americans? Did I get that right?
Old 08-04-2022, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
Sure they have the right to walk out. Yes, their behavior was shameful. They knew she was going to be there, so they showed up for the keynote address for the purpose of staging a walk-out.

And my comments on "safe spaces" in this case were spot on.
I proved you wrong, where is your retraction?
Old 08-06-2022, 11:22 AM

Quote:
I proved you wrong, where is your retraction?
I don't know what you think you proved, or what I need to retract. I know what the ceremony is. I've also been pretty consistent that there's "a time and a place" for public protest.

And yes, college campuses have long histories of being fertile ground for protest, and that is as it should be. The university did the right thing by not cancelling a speaker because of her personal views.

However, the University was also correct when it released this statement:

“The University of Michigan does not revoke an invitation to a speaker based on their personal beliefs,” Masson wrote.

“However, the White Coat Ceremony will not be used as a forum to air personal political or religious beliefs; it will focus on welcoming students into the profession of medicine.”

Dr Collier respected the ceremony for what it was: recognition for the dedication that it took, and will continue to take, for students to enter the world of clinical medicine. These students who got up and walked out did not: they tried to turn the event into a pro-choice protest. Sure, Collier is pro-life. But she wasn't selected to speak because of her pro-life stance and the event was not about abortion rights. So, for the students to inject their personal politics into a non-political event is shameful.

On the other hand, if the event was a pro life rally on campus and these students wanted to protest there, by all means have at it. That's the appropriate time and place to make your point. But a white coat ceremony - which has nothing to do with politics - is not the appropriate time and place.
Old 08-06-2022, 11:29 AM

Quote:
I don't know what you think you proved, or what I need to retract. I know what the ceremony is. I've also been pretty consistent that there's "a time and a place" for public protest.

And yes, college campuses have long histories of being fertile ground for protest, and that is as it should be. The university did the right thing by not cancelling a speaker because of her personal views.

However, the University was also correct when it released this statement:

“The University of Michigan does not revoke an invitation to a speaker based on their personal beliefs,” Masson wrote.

“However, the White Coat Ceremony will not be used as a forum to air personal political or religious beliefs; it will focus on welcoming students into the profession of medicine.”

Dr Collier respected the ceremony for what it was: recognition for the dedication that it took, and will continue to take, for students to enter the world of clinical medicine. These students who got up and walked out did not: they tried to turn the event into a pro-choice protest. Sure, Collier is pro-life. But she wasn't selected to speak because of her pro-life stance and the event was not about abortion rights. So, for the students to inject their personal politics into a non-political event is shameful.

On the other hand, if the event was a pro life rally on campus and these students wanted to protest there, by all means have at it. That's the appropriate time and place to make your point. But a white coat ceremony - which has nothing to do with politics - is not the appropriate time and place.

You said the students attended the ceremony to stage a walk out. I said the ceremony was hosted by the university and its an annual event to honor the incoming the students. Get to the point instead a barrage of empty words.

The voters in Kansas must have seen the walkout by medical students protesting the anti-abortion speaker and took note.

Last edited by Rajoo; 08-06-2022 at 11:31 AM.
Old 08-06-2022, 12:02 PM

Quote:
You said the students attended the ceremony to stage a walk out. I said the ceremony was hosted by the university and its an annual event to honor the incoming the students. Get to the point instead a barrage of empty words.

The voters in Kansas must have seen the walkout by medical students protesting the anti-abortion speaker and took note.
Yeah, I think the students planned to walk out of the ceremony in advance. If they wanted to not her Collier, the could have chosen not to attend the ceremony. But, they decided to attend, and then walk out as a form of protest.
There was even petition effort that they wanted the University to cancel Collier.

You want to parse words, go right ahead. But I'll say it again: these students planned and executed a political protest at a non political event. In doing so, yes, the showed up at the event with the intention of staging a protest. Shameful.
Old 08-06-2022, 01:26 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Yeah, I think the students planned to walk out of the ceremony in advance. If they wanted to not her Collier, the could have chosen not to attend the ceremony. But, they decided to attend, and then walk out as a form of protest.
There was even petition effort that they wanted the University to cancel Collier.

You want to parse words, go right ahead. But I'll say it again: these students planned and executed a political protest at a non political event. In doing so, yes, the showed up at the event with the intention of staging a protest. Shameful.
Again, you don't get to pick and choose where others decide to peacefully exercise their free speech rights. Hell, your side believes that staging a violent insurrection on the day that celebrates the peaceful transfer of power is an appropriate exercise of free speech, even if it involves spraying police with bear spray and beating them up with flag poles and fire extinguishers.

The Republican Party on Friday officially declared the Jan. 6, 2021 attack on the Capitol and events that led to it “legitimate political discourse” ... and that an investigation of the insurrection was “persecution of ordinary citizens engaged in legitimate political discourse.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/02/04/u...y-censure.html
Old 08-06-2022, 02:31 PM
Ready

They just walked out! They sprayed no chemicals! They didn't hit anybody with anything! They didn't even yell and scream! And they call it free speech! Shameful!
Old 08-06-2022, 02:35 PM

[QUOTE=finnbow;409014]Again, you don't get to pick and choose where others decide to peacefully exercise their free speech rights.

Correct. However, you'd hope that folks would have the good sense and respect not to hijack an non-political event for their own purpose.
Old 08-06-2022, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixote99 View Post
They just walked out! They sprayed no chemicals! They didn't hit anybody with anything! They didn't even yell and scream! And they call it free speech! Shameful!
Plus no need of directions from their master to leave.
Old 08-06-2022, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixote99 View Post
They had no respect for where they were. They had no respect for the occasion. They had no respect for the families who were there to celebrate their kids/wives/husbands/significant other's achievements. Those families/individuals had every right to expect the spotlight to be on those they were there to celebrate. The non-politically minded students in the audience had every right to have the focus be on their accomplishments rather than someone else's political agenda.