Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-06-2022, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
They had no respect for where they were. They had no respect for the occasion. They had no respect for the families who were there to celebrate their kids/wives/husbands/significant other's achievements. Those families/individuals had every right to expect the spotlight to be on those they were there to celebrate. The non-politically minded students in the audience had every right to have the focus be on their accomplishments rather than someone else's political agenda.
I guess you feel the same way about the people who booed at Donny and chanted "Lock him up" at the World Series game he attended. If such manifestations of free speech upset you... THEN GOOD!
Old 08-06-2022, 04:14 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
However, you'd hope that folks would have the good sense and respect not to hijack an non-political event for their own purpose.
I don't hope that. Effective protests generally occur at a time and place intended to make people sit up and take notice. I think what you really object to is their message. Conservatives get upset at an event like this, Kaepernick or the Dixie Chicks taking issue with abortion restrictions, racism or (contrived grounds for) war, respectively because one should never protest at a graduation, a football game or overseas (notwithstanding the fact that peaceful protests/pranks at high school and college graduations are commonplace).

However, conservatives approve, defend and even celebrate armed MAGAts violently protesting certified election results, MAGA truckers trying to illegally shut down the Capitol Beltway over (already expired) COVID restrictions and armed vigilantes occupying and damaging federal properties over (already insanely cheap) grazing fees.

I guess you'll never let ideological consistency or logic get in the way of an opportunity to be outraged.

Thought experiment: If the same number of graduates walked out over COVID vaccine mandates while Dr. Fauci was speaking, you'd either say nothing or support them and I suspect you'd take your cues from Wingnut Media as to which. As for me, I still wouldn't give a shit one way or the other.

Last edited by finnbow; 08-06-2022 at 04:47 PM.
Old 08-06-2022, 04:24 PM

All I can add.

We here at home in the good ol' USA....

Buckle up!

The crazies are coming!

No talking or reasoning with them. They have made it quite clear to those wanting to see it for what it is....

They want it all and do not care how it happens!
Old 08-06-2022, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I think the students planned to walk out of the ceremony in advance. If they wanted to not her Collier, the could have chosen not to attend the ceremony. But, they decided to attend, and then walk out as a form of protest.
There was even petition effort that they wanted the University to cancel Collier.

You want to parse words, go right ahead. But I'll say it again: these students planned and executed a political protest at a non political event. In doing so, yes, the showed up at the event with the intention of staging a protest. Shameful.
What you think is of no consequence and you do not know what they planned either and how does this even matter?

The university arranged a gathering which is an annual event to honor the incoming med students. If they didn't like the keynote speaker, that's their choice. Freedom from Wingnuts I call it.

Why don't you simply admit that the students walking out is bothering you and why. They had every right or else the university would have punished them. So get to the point and tell us why, emphasis being on "their right".

And I am imposing a 500 word limit.
Old 08-06-2022, 05:19 PM

All one needs to in all reality to do.
Is go to recent history and just see what will happen!

Once a totalitarian cult gains control, just how fast complete it is.....

Six months and it will be over...
Old 08-06-2022, 06:01 PM

[QUOTE=whell;409017]
Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
Again, you don't get to pick and choose where others decide to peacefully exercise their free speech rights.

Correct. However, you'd hope that folks would have the good sense and respect not to hijack an non-political event for their own purpose.
Hijack? Did they stop the event from happening?
Old 08-06-2022, 07:23 PM
Admin

"COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) — For the past three decades, South Carolina lawmakers have chipped away at abortion access, requiring ultrasounds, parental consent and 24-hour waiting periods, and banning the procedure early in the pregnancy: first after 20 weeks, then after six.

But now that the U.S. Supreme Court has cleared a path to ban abortion entirely in the state, some are taking a step back. Politicians, mostly Republican, are noting what happened this month in Kansas, where nearly 60% of voters rejected a ballot measure that would have allowed the state’s conservative Legislature to ban abortion. Republican Donald Trump received 56% of the 2020 presidential vote in Kansas. Trump won 55% in South Carolina.

“The Kansas vote affirms what most of us know,” said Sen. Sandy Senn, the only Republican senator to vote against the six-week abortion ban that passed 18 months ago. “It’s the people in my party, most all of them men, yelling the loudest that women should have zero choice from the moment of conception.”AP

https://apnews.com/article/abortion-...c52f39d4471dff

The results in bloody red Kansas have a lot of peckerwoods a'puckering.

Dumbasses.
Old 08-06-2022, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
"COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) — For the past three decades, South Carolina lawmakers have chipped away at abortion access, requiring ultrasounds, parental consent and 24-hour waiting periods, and banning the procedure early in the pregnancy: first after 20 weeks, then after six.

But now that the U.S. Supreme Court has cleared a path to ban abortion entirely in the state, some are taking a step back. Politicians, mostly Republican, are noting what happened this month in Kansas, where nearly 60% of voters rejected a ballot measure that would have allowed the state’s conservative Legislature to ban abortion. Republican Donald Trump received 56% of the 2020 presidential vote in Kansas. Trump won 55% in South Carolina.

“The Kansas vote affirms what most of us know,” said Sen. Sandy Senn, the only Republican senator to vote against the six-week abortion ban that passed 18 months ago. “It’s the people in my party, most all of them men, yelling the loudest that women should have zero choice from the moment of conception.”AP

https://apnews.com/article/abortion-...c52f39d4471dff

The results in bloody red Kansas have a lot of peckerwoods a'puckering.

Dumbasses.
Indiana lawmakers (ugh) after voting to restrict abortion in every which way, then voted down a non binding vote to be put to their electorate on abortion. So what are these neanderthals afraid of?
Old 08-07-2022, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajoo View Post
Indiana lawmakers (ugh) after voting to restrict abortion in every which way, then voted down a non binding vote to be put to their electorate on abortion. So what are these neanderthals afraid of?
They won't be the only ones pulling that stunt. Can't have the will of the people changing things now can we
Old 08-07-2022, 12:54 AM

Quote:
They had no respect for where they were. They had no respect for the occasion. They had no respect for the families who were there to celebrate their kids/wives/husbands/significant other's achievements. Those families/individuals had every right to expect the spotlight to be on those they were there to celebrate. The non-politically minded students in the audience had every right to have the focus be on their accomplishments rather than someone else's political agenda.
Boy, you are laying it so thick.

Let me paraphrase what I was told once, "You haven't accomplished anything until you have a degree in one hand and an offer letter in the other."
These are youngsters looking to build a career and if some of them are idealistic, kudos to them. And the comment from U of M is rather after the fact isn't it?

Staging the walkout and I am sure that a lot of them had their parents there, they stole the day and had a party after the party comparing their middle fingers.