Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-06-2012, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by painter View Post
There you go again....

http://www.loc.gov/rr/rarebook/coll/130.html

While many of the Jefferson books were lost in the Library fire of 1851, the remaining volumes have been assembled as a unit in the Rare Book and Special Collections Division. Many books bear Jefferson's ownership markings as well as the original Library of Congress bookplates and classification. The contents of the entire 1815 purchase were reconstructed by E. Millicent Sowerby and described in a five volume set entitled which is now made available digitally.
I don't get your point. The text you cut and pasted above makes no mention of the quotations you've used or any others. Neither does the page you linked to, where your "paste" comes from. Are you saying that those quotations are in that collection somewhere? If so, why not link to them directly? Since you've used them, you must know where they are, right?

Bobabode and I have both provided links to the quotes you've used. Those links take you to the Thomas Jefferson Foundation at UVa, a university which Jefferson founded. I suspect that, somewhere along the way, they've heard that the Library of Congress has some information about Jefferson in its collection. Why, then do they specifically cite the quotations you've used as being spurious? Heck, not only do they say who didn't say them but they say who did.

Just for the hell of it, here are those links again.

http://www.monticello.org/site/jeffe...-wantquotation

http://www.monticello.org/site/jeffe...ment-quotation

There are a lot of bogus Jefferson quotes out there. A LOT! Since Jefferson, more than any other of our founders, is as close to being a "prophet" of American democracy as we have, many people have tried to co-opt his name and his reputation to serve their own ends. To do this they have attributed to him quotes made by others (like yours) or just simply made them up out of whole cloth.

John
Old 10-06-2012, 11:13 AM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post

There are a lot of bogus Jefferson quotes out there. Since Jefferson, more than any other of our founders, is as close to being a "prophet" of American democracy as we have, many people have tried to co-opt his name and his reputation to serve their own ends. To do this they have attributed to him quotes made by others (like yours) or just simply made them up out of whole cloth.

John
From your link

The following statement, or variations thereof, is often attributed to Thomas Jefferson:

"A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have...."

We have never found such a statement in Jefferson's writings. AS FAR AS WE KNOW....

I agree with you. Many quotes by political leaders have been used and abused by many. A professor of mine gave a lecture years ago about Jefferson and a handbook he distributed contained Jefferson quotes.

Not all of Jeffersons writings have been documented. As my link describes.

What we have here is a difference of opinion. The quote will stand as my signature with a minor adjustment... until such time as I am able to find my handbook with perhaps more information.

I'm a woman in here to express my opinions as everyone else.

Last edited by painter; 10-06-2012 at 11:35 AM.
Old 10-06-2012, 11:33 AM

Quote:
What we have here is a difference of opinion. The quote will stand as my signature with a minor adjustment... until such time as I am able to find my handbook with perhaps more information.
Why not just attribute it to Jerry Ford? He's the one who said it.

John
Old 10-06-2012, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
Why not just attribute it to Jerry Ford? He's the one who said it.

John

Why...It's much easier to believe it's not so, as there is a possibility there is something out there he wrote that has it in it (though no one has ever seen it)
Old 10-06-2012, 05:21 PM

Quote:
From your link

The following statement, or variations thereof, is often attributed to Thomas Jefferson:

"A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have...."

We have never found such a statement in Jefferson's writings. AS FAR AS WE KNOW....

I agree with you. Many quotes by political leaders have been used and abused by many. A professor of mine gave a lecture years ago about Jefferson and a handbook he distributed contained Jefferson quotes.

Not all of Jeffersons writings have been documented. As my link describes.

I'm a woman in here to express my opinions as everyone else.
It does not appear in any of Jefferson's writings or letters. That is OK though, most of the quotes in the Jefferson Memorial are cobbled together crap from his prolific writings and publications to make him the "good Christian" that he wasn't.

example:

Panel two:

"Almighty God hath created the mind free. All attempts to influence it by temporal punishments or burthens...are a departure from the plan of the Holy Author of our religion...No man shall be compelled to frequent or support any religious worship or ministry or shall otherwise suffer on account of his religious opinions or belief, but all men shall be free to profess and by argument to maintain, their opinions in matters of religion. I know but one code of morality for men whether acting singly or collectively."

The original Jefferson quote:

"Well aware that the opinions and belief of men depend not on their own will, but follow involuntarily the evidence proposed to their minds; that Almighty God hath created the mind free, and manifested his supreme will that free it shall remain by making it altogether insusceptible of restraint; that all attempts to influence it by temporal punishments, or burthens, or by civil incapacitations, tend only to beget habits of hypocrisy and meanness, and are a departure from the plan of the holy author of our religion..." - "A Bill for Establishing Religious Freedom", Section I.

Big differences between the meaning of the two quotes; wouldn't you say.
Old 10-06-2012, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgrr View Post
"Well aware that the opinions and belief of men depend not on their own will, but follow involuntarily the evidence proposed to their minds; that Almighty God hath created the mind free, and manifested his supreme will that free it shall remain by making it altogether insusceptible of restraint; that all attempts to influence it by temporal punishments, or burthens, or by civil incapacitations, tend only to beget habits of hypocrisy and meanness, and are a departure from the plan of the holy author of our religion..." - "A Bill for Establishing Religious Freedom", Section I.

Big differences between the meaning of the two quotes; wouldn't you say.
That was the Virginia bill, right? One of the two things he wanted on his tombstone was that he had authored that bill. The other was that he had founded the University of Virginia. Clearly, he believed these things to have been more important than authoring the Declaration of Independence or having served as President.

John
Old 10-06-2012, 06:06 PM
Admin

Gotta love President Jefferson, feet of clay and everything else. The advent of genetic mapping proved he fathered children with one of his slaves. It doesn't detract more than a little to my mind from his great achievements. It's to Painter's credit that she sees it too. Even if she doesn't wish to avail herself to an easy Google search for the source of her quotes, she's entitled...

Now that rude "There he goes again" quote from St. Ronnie the Snitchful is an affront to my delicate sensibilities...
Old 10-06-2012, 07:19 PM
Admin

Quote:
Really? Well maybe Kenny will change your mind. My friend...when you go to a Supreme Court hearing and WIN...TWICE (without representation) you needn't have your statements graded. Just saying...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1LgPudozF4
Geeze, just joking witcha Painter. Didn't you like my entitled remark?
Old 10-06-2012, 07:45 PM
Loyal Opposition

Kenny Rogers is the poster child for producing music for the market. If it'll make a buck, he'll sing it. And pablum like that in the link sells.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 10-06-2012, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
Kenny Rogers is the poster child for producing music for the market. If it'll make a buck, he'll sing it. And pablum like that in the link sells.

Regards,

D-Ray
I'm still chewing on the part where she single-handedly won two "hearings" at the Supreme Court.

John