Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-19-2012, 03:26 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Is There Such Thing as Legitimate Rape?

Accordingly to Todd Akin, the GOP Senate candidate from Missouri, there is.

“First of all, from what I understand from doctors, (pregnancy from rape) is really rare,” Akin told KTVI-TV in a clip posted to YouTube by the Democratic super PAC American Bridge. “If it’s a legitimate rape, the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...ses-pregnancy/

And the GOP objects to its views being characterized as a "War on Women?"
Old 08-19-2012, 03:39 PM

Sure, it's obvious that they wanted to be raped. Had it been a legitimate rape then the body would have stopped that pregnancy. She was probably wearing a skirt, heels and way to close to a pinball machine also.
Old 08-19-2012, 04:01 PM

Just for the hell of it I'll stipulate that Akins are rare among conservatives but the inarguable fact is you never hear such pernicious nonsense coming from liberals.

And Akin isn't merely the Republican candidate for US Senator from Missouri. He's a currently serving 5-term US Congressman. Before that he served in the Missouri House of Representatives for 8 years. Clearly a lot of folks in Missouri like the way Akin thinks. What does that say about them, do you suppose?

John
Old 08-19-2012, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
Just for the hell of it I'll stipulate that Akins are rare among conservatives but the inarguable fact is you never hear such pernicious nonsense coming from liberals.

And Akin isn't merely the Republican candidate for US Senator from Missouri. He's a currently serving 5-term US Congressman. Before that he served in the Missouri House of Representatives for 8 years. Clearly a lot of folks in Missouri like the way Akin thinks. What does that say about them, do you suppose?

John
Coming from MO I'd say far less know what he thinks and far more vote for him just cause there is an R next to his name.
Old 08-19-2012, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex E. View Post
Coming from MO I'd say far less know what he thinks and far more vote for him just cause there is an R next to his name.
Well, they have no excuse for not knowing now! Let's see whether this creep gets elected.

John
Old 08-19-2012, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
Well, they have no excuse for not knowing now! Let's see whether this creep gets elected.

John
I think he may. I posted this on FB for my Missouri friends and the first post was a lady I graduated high school with saying

"Actually, that is true. I worked as a counselor at a rape crisis center. Rape is such a violent act, that it rarely results in pregnancy because of the stress of the situation and the fact that the rape never progresses to the point of the man being able to finish. Less than half of 1% of rapes result in pregnancy."

followed up with

"Didn't mean to say "never progresses." Should have said "rarely progresses.""
Old 08-19-2012, 04:29 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex E. View Post
I think he may. I posted this on FB for my Missouri friends and the first post was a lady I graduated high school with saying

"Actually, that is true. I worked as a counselor at a rape crisis center. Rape is such a violent act, that it rarely results in pregnancy because of the stress of the situation and the fact that the rape never progresses to the point of the man being able to finish. Less than half of 1% of rapes result in pregnancy."

followed up with

"Didn't mean to say "never progresses." Should have said "rarely progresses.""
And for those few who do get pregnant, I suppose Akin, the conservative, feels that government should be able to force her to carry her pregnancy to full term. I wonder if he had a brilliant and promising college freshman daughter and she were impregnated by a black crackhead rapist with AIDS if he'd feel the same. I bet he'd exhaust all options finding a back-alley abortionist (or fly his daughter somewhere for an abortion). Even if he didn't, he'd like to negate that choice for others. Small government, indeed.

Last edited by finnbow; 08-19-2012 at 08:32 PM.
Old 08-19-2012, 08:33 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

It now seems as though the party has compelled him to a half-hearted and insincere apology. Poor dear.

“In reviewing my off-the-cuff remarks, it’s clear that I misspoke in this interview and it does not reflect the deep empathy I hold for the thousands of women who are raped and abused every year,” he said. “I recognize that abortion, and particularly in the case of rape, is a very emotionally charged issue. But I believe deeply in the protection of all life and I do not believe that harming another innocent victim is the right course of action.”

Douchebag.
Old 08-19-2012, 10:08 PM

Missourians are challenged, let me tell ya, I deal with them everyday. Lots of white trash and hilljacks in that state. Hell, they voted in Claire so how smart can they be?

Present company excluded of course.
Old 08-19-2012, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
Missourians are challenged, let me tell ya, I deal with them everyday. Lots of white trash and hilljacks in that state. Hell, they voted in Claire so how smart can they be?

Present company excluded of course.
As auditor Claire was one of the best the state had had in a long time.

No Illinois transplant to Kansas should ever have any comments on the fine state of Missour-ah. We can maybe let a bit of the Illinois stink wash off you do to you not having a choice where you were raised but you chose Kansas and for that there is no quarter to give