Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-02-2012, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doucanoe View Post
I've found they can be very addicting

RC
Yikers, audio is fun again!!! These are addictive, and I'm afraid I'm hooked.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtPykCx25ak
Old 01-02-2012, 12:33 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
I've seen a couple different ways to convert these for Hi-Fi, but not the one that gets rid of the 6267s (thanks by the way). Do you have a schematic or anything? Speaking of the little Magnavox speakers, I once had a set of small ones that used a woofer (8 inch mebee) and a horn for the upper mids / highs. Damn they sounded good. I was using them outside one day and forgot to bring them in, of course it rained that night and ruined the cabs.
Yes, I have schematics and owners manual for the Roberts and a service manual for the Akai M8. There are some minor differences between the Roberts and the Akai, however. Roberts imported Akai units and modified then rebadged them. The Roberts units have additional shielding and some higher quality parts in them, along with a few small circuit changes. But, the M8 troubleshooting guide has been helpful. (Although the copy quality is poor and hard to read.)

Dave
Old 01-02-2012, 01:03 PM

I might have to get you to email me some copies. I have some Akai M8, and some Roberts decks.

Looks like these cross around 2k or so Ron. This is what the Fluke says when set to average and jamming some Whitey Ford. I've got a set of quality two way crossovers that Nate built, and a set of some I did back in the day. May have to break them out and play some more. I get the feeling these like clean vinyl a little more than CDs, or maybe my vinyl rig is just better than my CD deal, but crap, it's an Arcam.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fluke average 003.jpg (48.1 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg aaaaaaaaaaaaa 001.jpg (82.0 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg aaaaaaaaaaaaa 002.jpg (76.7 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg aaaaaaaaaaaaa 003.jpg (52.5 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg aaaaaaaaaaaaa 004.jpg (78.0 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by Twodogs; 01-02-2012 at 01:08 PM.
Old 01-02-2012, 01:12 PM
Area Man

I'll see what I can do. PM your email and snail mail address again.

Dave
Old 01-02-2012, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
I'll see what I can do. PM your email and snail mail address again.

Dave
I appreciate the hell out of that, will do.
Old 01-02-2012, 04:57 PM

Well poop, old Toxcrusader just picked up the little Ampex 402 I built for him. He brought his better half with him, and we sat through Allison Krauss' Paper Airplane on CeeDee, and one side of a new Johnny Cash album. He said, my gosh, it sounds like Johnny is in this room with us. Those little 402s do have a tasty phono section once you get the loading right. They were originally designed as console pres that used a funky EV cart that wanted something like 100k loading. I got it right to 47.3k with a single resistor change while leaving the crystal input and RIAA curve in tact. I think he really likes it, and it should be a sweet rig with the matching amps that he's rebuilding himself. They are 6973 monos with real nice looking iron. I think I'll dust off my Eico HF 85.

Last edited by Twodogs; 01-02-2012 at 05:00 PM.
Old 01-02-2012, 06:42 PM

Sounds like some good tunes going down over there The Ampex sure sounds like it turned out nice.

Nate built you some x-overs, eh? What might of those been for? 2K is a tad higher then you need to be but much better than crossing over too low. Sounds like your good to go for now!

The room is looking great also by the way!

RC
Old 01-02-2012, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doucanoe View Post
Sounds like some good tunes going down over there The Ampex sure sounds like it turned out nice.

Nate built you some x-overs, eh? What might of those been for? 2K is a tad higher then you need to be but much better than crossing over too low. Sounds like your good to go for now!

The room is looking great also by the way!

RC
Thanks Ron, even my wife was pleased with the end result of my labor today. She likes the Edgars too, and said they don't sound "tinny" like the Altecs did. She suggested I sell the Altecs, imagine that.

Remember a few years back, or a couple maybe, when Nate was playing with some Altecs and big cabinets. They may have been Karlsons, or the Barzillay jobs,, I can't remember. I know that Zilch designed them and Nate did his usual good work at building them. I will pull them out and see where they cross. I'm going to try to get dcgillespie to help me with some mods on the HF 85. I was over at DIY last night and they just happened to have a 85 thread going and he was participating, so...............I could get lucky. It sounds good as built, but I want to replace the shielded copper signal wire with some shielded silver I recently purchased. After I finish EKmanning's Bogens, and a couple preamp mods for cableguy bill, I'll be back on my flying V pre. Remember that one? 6J5s and 76s with a separate power supply chassis. I hope it turns out good, the 76 is supposed to be one of the best antique tubes out there. Very open, detailed, and airy is what I've heard. I guess that means it sounds good.
Old 01-02-2012, 08:22 PM

Ok sure, I do remember Nate working on a pair of Barzilays with Altec 511's I think. Man, that was some time ago now. Sounds like you are going to be a busy guy for a while.

Dave is a great guy. He was helping me sort through my Webster Hammond amps but had to step away from the project a few months back. I'm hoping to get back at it now that winter is really here now and we are past the holidays. He's been extremely helpful, enthusiastic and patient. The later is pretty important when working with a maroon like myself

I do remember that your starting that preamp. Good to hear that your finally going to get some time to get back to it. It's going to be a nice one.
Old 01-02-2012, 08:30 PM

I got a ton of info about my eico hf 85 lately from DC, so I'm going to do some mods that will get the DC off of the tone controls and eliminate the need for the output caps. At least that's the way I'm understanding it at present. I hate having to ask the really gifted guys to draw it out for me with a crayon, but I can swallow a pretty large amount of pride in exchange for good Hi-Fi. Hell, without you Ron, I'd be lost when it comes to speakers, and that's no lie my friend. I still only understand about half of what you say, but the more I read it, the more of it sinks in.