Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Off-topic
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-02-2012, 08:32 PM

Oh, and the flying V pre is going to have remote control volume and source selection, with both balanced and regular RCA inputs. ha, remote controlled 76s, who'd a thunk it.
Old 01-02-2012, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
Oh, and the flying V pre is going to have remote control volume and source selection, with both balanced and regular RCA inputs. ha, remote controlled 76s, who'd a thunk it.

Oooooh, fancy! Lots of tube amps being built out there. It's nice to see somebody building a nice preamp.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:27 AM

I must of missed your comments about the help the first time through. Always my pleasure, Jay. You've had my back on so many things tubish through the years, providing a little commentary is the least I can do

This speaker thing can be a pretty complicated affair to say the least and I'm just providing a little direction as to what has worked well for a neophyte like myself. A 2-way using drivers that are familiar and performance/limitations that is well documented doesn't make it a no-brainer but certainly reduces the head scratching and need for volumes of testing data.

Unlike the CD horns you see a lot of people using, your round tractrix horn does not require compensation to get it to do it's thing. Although that's the case, just throwing any old 2-way crossover in the mix that's close to where you want to cross to the horn or even dead on may not allow you to hear what these are capable of either.

Your cookin' with steam now but I see even greater things to come!

RC

Last edited by doucanoe; 01-03-2012 at 10:30 AM.
Old 01-03-2012, 05:11 PM

Back when I was triamping my big horns, I used a Behringer pro x-over that actually had a button for CD horn compensation or whatever. They did sound better with it on. You've never seen such a mess of cables and XLR to RCA adapters. I bought them all from one company and they were just nice cables, no snake oil, but it was still a couple hundy to get it all connected up. What I've got going on now is way better. I'm going to drag out some crossovers tonight, I'll post a pic or three.