Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Off-topic
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-01-2012, 12:57 PM

Anyone into horns?

I'm playing around with some today. Just got the Edgars a couple weeks ago and finally got some time to hook them up. Sensitive buggers with JBL 2425HS drivers on them. I'm using just the woofers on the bottom JBLs (LE14As). I like it, and so does Dwight Yokam.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hornplay 002.jpg (97.1 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg hornplay 001.jpg (125.8 KB, 13 views)
Old 01-01-2012, 01:10 PM

I like 'em.

Looking at that cable you're feeding them with, are you pushing them with your welder?

Chas
Old 01-01-2012, 01:20 PM

Ha, the fat cable is just a set of bi-wires, so there's actually four wires in there. My last BIG horn set up used door bell wire for speaker leads. I just had a chance to buy this expensive set of wires on the cheap so I did it. I'm not much for snake oil when it comes to audio. Give me a decent TT, a really good cart, nice tube preamp, and a good 15 watt tube amplifier and I'm good to go. I must admit, I do usually put somewhat nice caps in my amps and crossovers, but nuttin over 10 or 12 bucks each. I like Kimbers, and Auricaps best I guess, although the Auricaps seem to take awhile to start sounding smooth. I've been going through all my Hillbilly type records today just having a blast. Done been through all my Johnny, Merle, Dwight, and Porter Wagoner. Now it's going to get serious with some Flatt and Scruggs and the like. Got Kenny Baker on the deck right now, man what a fiddler. They don't make'm like him anymore.
Old 01-01-2012, 01:37 PM

I'm using 14 ga copper to feed my speakers, I prewired my house when I built it with the speakers in one room and the components in the other. Too much like work to change it now.

Chas
Old 01-01-2012, 02:04 PM

14ga is my go to size for speaker wire. I wasn't into the hobby when I built my place and the only speaker wire in the walls is for the bathroom ones which are mounted up high in the corners. Haven't had a rig in there for awhile though, I watch news in there now. (or read Handgunner Magazine)
Old 01-01-2012, 02:37 PM

Hey, your new Edgars are looking right at home on those Dorian cabs If you can, try alligning the acoustic centers of woofer and your compression driver just to see how it effects soundstage focus. It can look a little funky with the horn riding out that far but I'd be curious to hear your thought as you change the position (forward or back) of the horn/driver.

Looking good!

RC
Old 01-01-2012, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
14ga is my go to size for speaker wire. I wasn't into the hobby when I built my place and the only speaker wire in the walls is for the bathroom ones which are mounted up high in the corners. Haven't had a rig in there for awhile though, I watch news in there now. (or read Handgunner Magazine)
I wasn't too much into this either when I built my place, or I would have pulled the speaker wires in conduit at least through the plates like I did with everything else.

Even worse than that, I stapled them to the studs so the rockers didn't pull them out of the boxes. But they work, ain't no sense in fixing something that ain't broke.

Chas
Old 01-01-2012, 02:44 PM

That's what I say, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Just so happens that most of my old junk is broke more than not. I'll try that Ron, and give you a report. I was noticing the risers on these Dorian cabs are in pretty bad shape. I wonder if I should build a hardwood set just like the stock ones, or just take them off, or build something that tips back a hair. What did you build to hold your Edgars when you got past the rice bags.
Old 01-01-2012, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
That's what I say, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Just so happens that most of my old junk is broke more than not. I'll try that Ron, and give you a report. I was noticing the risers on these Dorian cabs are in pretty bad shape. I wonder if I should build a hardwood set just like the stock ones, or just take them off, or build something that tips back a hair. What did you build to hold your Edgars when you got past the rice bags.

I wouldn't concern myself too much with the risers until you get everything sorted out. The position and angle of the horn in relation to your listing position is going to be more of a factor and not the woofer.

I forgot to mention that you will notice a fair amount of change focus and imaging as you move (pivot) the horn/drivers to the inside or out also. These 650hz horns aren't anywhere near as particular as a 350Hz Edgarhorn in that regard but you will be surprised as to how much effect it has on the overall picture.

I'll go take some pics of what I eventually came up with for a driver support and show ya.

RC
Old 01-01-2012, 03:16 PM

Cool, I really appreciate the help Ron. The only horns I ever played with before were 511s and bowtie 800hz Emilars. I think the Emilars were way better then the 511s btw. I'm going to force myself to put on some Jazz now. Maybe Kenny Burlle and Coltrane, they always had a sort of synergistic effect IMHO.