We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-25-2015, 09:54 AM
Persona non grata

Taxing the rich in Minnesota

It works.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/carl-g...b_6737786.html

Quote:
When he took office in January of 2011, Minnesota governor Mark Dayton inherited a $6.2 billion budget deficit and a 7 percent unemployment rate from his predecessor, Tim Pawlenty, the soon-forgotten Republican candidate for the presidency who called himself Minnesota's first true fiscally-conservative governor in modern history. Pawlenty prided himself on never raising state taxes -- the most he ever did to generate new revenue was increase the tax on cigarettes by 75 cents a pack. Between 2003 and late 2010, when Pawlenty was at the head of Minnesota's state government, he managed to add only 6,200 more jobs.

During his first four years in office, Gov. Dayton raised the state income tax from 7.85 to 9.85 percent on individuals earning over $150,000, and on couples earning over $250,000 when filing jointly -- a tax increase of $2.1 billion. He's also agreed to raise Minnesota's minimum wage to $9.50 an hour by 2018, and passed a state law guaranteeing equal pay for women. Republicans like state representative Mark Uglem warned against Gov. Dayton's tax increases, saying, "The job creators, the big corporations, the small corporations, they will leave. It's all dollars and sense to them." The conservative friend or family member you shared this article with would probably say the same if their governor tried something like this. But like Uglem, they would be proven wrong.

Between 2011 and 2015, Gov. Dayton added 172,000 new jobs to Minnesota's economy -- that's 165,800 more jobs in Dayton's first term than Pawlenty added in both of his terms combined. Even though Minnesota's top income tax rate is the 4th-highest in the country, it has the 5th-lowest unemployment rate in the country at 3.6 percent. According to 2012-2013 U.S. census figures, Minnesotans had a median income that was $10,000 larger than the U.S. average, and their median income is still $8,000 more than the U.S. average today.
Old 02-25-2015, 10:19 AM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Joad View Post
passed a state law guaranteeing equal pay for women
Maybe he ought to introduce a bill titled "Equal work for women."
Old 02-25-2015, 10:35 AM
Area Man

I don't get it.

Everywhere I have ever worked there was one pay scale, not two. Men made no more money than women. In fact, women in higher positions made more money than virtually all of the men, lower on the totem.

So, where is it? Is it an advancement thing, more than a pay thing? I dunno. Maybe I'm missing something?

We've had a politician here complaining that girls are "excluded" from science. They are?
Since when? I went to school in the '70s and there were girls in my science class, in the biology class, higher math.......... There are women to be found in scientific fields throughout recent history............

WTF? Somebody is gonna have to 'esplain this to me.

Dave
Old 02-25-2015, 11:25 AM
Rational Anarchist

Regarding the Gov's job creation talents - I'm under the impression that President Obama created those jobs.

Nice question Dave and I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole.
Old 02-25-2015, 12:00 PM
Persona non grata

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
I don't get it.

Everywhere I have ever worked there was one pay scale, not two. Men made no more money than women. In fact, women in higher positions made more money than virtually all of the men, lower on the totem.

So, where is it? Is it an advancement thing, more than a pay thing? I dunno. Maybe I'm missing something?
That's been my experience too.

In fact white women had it made where I worked.

The DOT got affirmative action points for hiring and promoting them.
Old 02-25-2015, 12:04 PM
Persona non grata

Quote:
Originally Posted by nailer View Post
Regarding the Gov's job creation talents - I'm under the impression that President Obama created those jobs.
To a certain extent yeah, but then look right across the border to Wisconsin and check out how their economy is doing under right winger Walker.

http://www.politifact.com/wisconsin/...0000-new-jobs/
Old 02-25-2015, 01:23 PM
Resident octogenarian

When I was in the Data Processing Department at Bell we were 50/50 men/women programmers and the women were damn good at it.
Old 02-25-2015, 02:56 PM
Abby Normal

Quote:
I don't get it.

We've had a politician here complaining that girls are "excluded" from science. They are?
Since when? I went to school in the '70s and there were girls in my science class, in the biology class, higher math.......... There are women to be found in scientific fields throughout recent history............

Dave
now I am sure this has changed to a degree but when I worked early in life in more physical jobs, women got the same pay but did the light work. If anything it was the men who got the short end.
Old 03-07-2015, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Joad View Post
Good for you, are you from MN? If so, let me recommend a good quality hat.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...n+hat&tbm=shop
Old 03-07-2015, 09:12 AM

Quote:
I don't get it.

Dave
There are millions of places without pay scales....do not assume everyone is getting paid equally for the same work. I think you are assuming every company is like yours or the US military. Remember people negotiate for salaries all the time. And historically women git paid less for the same work.

Last edited by icenine; 03-07-2015 at 09:14 AM.