Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Economy
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-16-2010, 03:25 PM
Loyal Opposition

Small Business Bill passes in Senate

Thanks, Pete and your fellow Ohioans. George Voinovich (R Ohio) jumped on board with the President's proposal to provide a credit fund and tax breaks for small businesses. That overcame the threat of a Filibuster, and the bill passed around noon today. Now Voinovich and George LeMieux of Florida are the only Republicans to vote in favor of a tax cut for small businesses. I wonder what effect that might have in November. Oh yeah, its going back to the house, so the Republicans over there will also have an opportunity to vote against the tax cut.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 09-16-2010, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
Thanks, Pete and your fellow Ohioans. George Voinovich (R Ohio) jumped on board with the President's proposal to provide a credit fund and tax breaks for small businesses. That overcame the threat of a Filibuster, and the bill passed around noon today. Now Voinovich and George LeMieux of Florida are the only Republicans to vote in favor of a tax cut for small businesses. I wonder what effect that might have in November.
Voinovich is in his last term so he's free to vote his conscience. LeMieux is in his first term and won't be up for re-election until 2014 so he's got time to repair any damage.

Quote:
Oh yeah, its going back to the house, so the Republicans over there will also have an opportunity to vote against the tax cut.
Gee, that's swell!

John
Old 09-17-2010, 01:07 AM
Area Man

A yes vote from an Ohio Republican is a sure sign that it's a terrible mistake.

Dave
Old 09-17-2010, 01:10 AM
Area Man

Republicans voting against tax cuts.........................Hmmmmm?

Dave
Old 09-17-2010, 01:15 AM
Area Man

Obama should propose a bill that eliminates welfare, cuts the size of government by two thirds, abolishes the IRS and authorizes the National Guard to round up all illegal aliens and deport them immediately----So the GOP can kill it, then blame welfare, big government and illegal immigration on the Democratic Party.

Dave
Old 09-17-2010, 08:53 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
A yes vote from an Ohio Republican is a sure sign that it's a terrible mistake.

Dave
Lmao!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
Obama should propose a bill that eliminates welfare, cuts the size of government by two thirds, abolishes the IRS and authorizes the National Guard to round up all illegal aliens and deport them immediately----So the GOP can kill it, then blame welfare, big government and illegal immigration on the Democratic Party.

Dave
Nah, he'd be our new hero.

Which would be good for him, because the Dems would dump him.

I'm surprised Gentleman Jim Voinovich was never picked for a VP position.

Does this business thing include rolling back the reporting of all purchases over $600? Talk about bs paperwork!

Maybe the tax cut will cover the salary of the people they'll have to hire to file it?

Pete
Old 09-17-2010, 09:42 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
Lmao!!

Does this business thing include rolling back the reporting of all purchases over $600? Talk about bs paperwork!

Maybe the tax cut will cover the salary of the people they'll have to hire to file it?

Pete
Yeah, poor businessmen/women, everyone knows that 1099s are only for us poor individuals so we can't screw uncle sugar, has to be different for those poor businessmen/women so they can screw everybody.

That makes me think of when I took early retirement at Bell. One of the women I worked with handed me a present. It was a small box with "How to succeed in business" written on the cover. When I opened it there was a 4" long brass woodscrew fastened to a nice velvet background with the word "everybody" neatly written under it.

Good advice now that I think of it. As a manager back then I figured it was my job to develop the people who worked for me, as they were a company asset. Here I found that managers are loath to help or develop the people who work for them. Seems to be the idea that "Hey, if I help Rob get batter at what he does, he will take my job."

It's the old Mushroom Management theory, keep everyone in the dark and feed the lots of horse manure.
Old 09-17-2010, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
Voinovich is in his last term so he's free to vote his conscience. LeMieux is in his first term and won't be up for re-election until 2014 so he's got time to repair any damage.
Correction: LeMieux isn't running for re-election either.

Says a lot, doesn't it, when politicians can only vote their conscience when there's nothing at stake.

John
Old 09-17-2010, 12:22 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post

Not following the current modus operundi, Pete. The last couple of years they seem to propose things, let the Dems pick it up, then do a 180. And I'm not the only American to notice this cheap trick.

Voinovich? That's a Russian name! Can he produce a birth certificate? Probably a Communist plant, a real Manchurian Candidate......................

Dave
Old 09-17-2010, 12:43 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Nah, he's a certain Eastern European ethnicity, not Polish but 'similar' .....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kMNKfRgAVg

From the same old neighborhood as Kucinich as a matter of fact.

Great, now I want perogies beer and polka

Pete