Go Back   Political Forums > Economy
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-15-2010, 09:49 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
I hope that's true, but I'm sure not seeing it. Could be that I service clients in the Midwest, and primarily in MI, where the economy still lags and where - at least the clients I work with - are still stifled by lack of available credit financing.
Why are so many business folks always living on heavy debt? Always scraping by on someone elses dime? Or begging for bailouts? Or both? Bitching and whining about how everyone on the planet is responsible for their business suffering----well, everyone but them, of course. You'd think someone like that would have better personal responsibility and learn to be more self-reliant--damn Republicans.

Dave

Last edited by BlueStreak; 09-15-2010 at 10:03 AM.
Old 09-15-2010, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
Why are so many business folks always living on heavy debt? Always scraping by on someone elses dime? Or begging for bailouts? Or both? Bitching and whining about how everyone on the planet is responsible for their business suffering----well, everyone but them, of course. You'd think someone like that would have better personal responsibility and learn to be more self-reliant--damn Republicans.

Dave
Dave -

I suspect some of the above is tongue in cheek, but:

Its not an issue of "heavy debt". Business owners use credit as a business tool to support cash flow. Instead of tying up their cash assets, they use debt to finance expansion, replace equipment, even fund payroll if they need a bridge to get over some accounts receivable issues (slow payment is almost a way of life these days, unfortunately).

Most businesses have / had a line of credit with their banks to provide easy access to credit funding when needed. Many banks have been forced to change their underwriting terms, in some cases whether they wanted to or not. Many of the clients that I've spoken with have had their lines of credit restricted or shut off. Therefore, they have to change the way they do business to accommodate this new reality.

Last edited by whell; 09-15-2010 at 11:36 AM.
Old 09-15-2010, 11:43 AM
Area Man

The entire post was tongue-in-cheek.

On a slightly more serious note; Maybe it's good that some of them have had their lines of credit restricted or shut off? After all, risky loans going to people who fail to repay is what caused this whole mess in the first place, isn't it?

Dave
Old 09-15-2010, 11:46 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
Instead of tying up their cash assets, they use debt to finance expansion, replace equipment, even fund payroll if they need a bridge to get over some accounts receivable issues (slow payment is almost a way of life these days, unfortunately).

Precisely. A "bridge loan". Kind of like a mini-bailout, right?

Dave
Old 09-15-2010, 11:50 AM

Bailout = saddle the tax payers if the bailee (Bail Outee? As opposed to an Inee?) fails to pay.

Line of credit = short term financing from a bank.

Yeah, they're the same in a different kind of way.
Old 09-15-2010, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
The entire post was tongue-in-cheek.

On a slightly more serious note; Maybe it's good that some of them have had their lines of credit restricted or shut off? After all, risky loans going to people who fail to repay is what caused this whole mess in the first place, isn't it?

Dave
Risky loans were generally in the housing market, not business loans. Separate from the housing mess, I think the banks were generally satisfied with their relationships and underwriting requirements for most of their business clients. And that book of business for banks has been generally quite lucrative.
Old 09-15-2010, 12:10 PM
Area Man

Okay, Dude. I enjoyed todays bantor. But, now I must go "grease the wheels of capitalism" with my proletarian blood.

Have a great day!

Dave
Old 09-15-2010, 01:19 PM
Resident octogenarian

Some years back Florence had her own Temp/Placement agency with some 80 employees. With the placement side you would be surprised at the names of some of the big corporations that tried to cheat her out of the finders fee.

So all of the business bashing has some basis in reality.

Last edited by merrylander; 09-15-2010 at 02:36 PM.
Old 09-15-2010, 01:43 PM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
Some years back Florence had her own Temp/Placement acency with some 80 employees. With the placement side you would be surprised at the names of some of the big corporations that tried to cheat her out of the finders fee.

So all of the business bashing has some basis in reality.
big business = big thieves
Old 09-16-2010, 09:15 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Gotta love temps - when you're done with them you just toss'em in the dumpster

So, we spent 800 billion to lower the deficit how much?

Heard this morning that foreclosures hit a record.

Pete