Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politicalchat.org discussion boards > History
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-25-2012, 10:25 AM

NAFTA Debate - A Blast from the Past

I wish Ross Perot would have punched Al Gore in his smug face.

http://youtu.be/GhwhMXOxHTg
Old 08-25-2012, 10:42 AM
Area Man

I miss Ross Perot.

".....this guy (Clinton) wants you to put all your trust in the government, and this guy over here (Bush) wants you to trust billionaires and corporate executives. Believe me, those people are my best friends and collegues......and they don't give a damn about any of YOU."

Truth spoken.

Dave
Old 08-25-2012, 10:54 AM

Shame Ross forgot to include himself in that.
Old 08-25-2012, 10:56 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex E. View Post
Well, he did, kinda---by association.
Old 08-25-2012, 11:03 AM
Resident octogenarian

I recall when I was still living in Canada being in Gotcha Mesa on business. Went over to a club in Newport Beach and got into conversation with a charming lady at the bar. Her husband, who was chasing around after all the chicks, came up for a refill on his drink. She said "George, I want you to meet Robert, he is from Canada." Geroge's reply was "I don't like what you Canadians are charging for your oil." to which I responded "Well George, we figure things are not going to be like the iron mines where you guys got all the ore and we only got the shaft."

Free trade my arse.
Old 08-25-2012, 11:16 AM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
I recall when I was still living in Canada being in Gotcha Mesa on business. Went over to a club in Newport Beach and got into conversation with a charming lady at the bar. Her husband, who was chasing around after all the chicks, came up for a refill on his drink. She said "George, I want you to meet Robert, he is from Canada." Geroge's reply was "I don't like what you Canadians are charging for your oil." to which I responded "Well George, we figure things are not going to be like the iron mines where you guys got all the ore and we only got the shaft."

Free trade my arse.
We've changed the name Rob. It's no longer Gotcha Mesa. It's Costa Misery, since the Tea party took over the city council....
Old 08-25-2012, 12:09 PM

Quote:
There's a big difference between Ross and other billionaires. At least Ross had the courage to say whatever you do do not lower the standard of American workers.

Back then a blue collar worker could at least afford a new pick up truck, a fishing boat, and a family vacation to use them.

Apparently the new class of corporate elite is jealous of that perk and the effect is clear in tourist states such as Michigan. Almost every mom and pop hotel in the upper peninsula is out of business. It looks like a ghost state up there. That's where auto workers used to go for some modest recreation.

But no, that was too much compensation for losing fingers while putting wheels on Cadillacs. Dontcha know the Cadillac drivers had to upgrade to Porsches and Ferraris, McMansions, and six jumbotrons each for beating off to Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous.

Balls.
Old 08-25-2012, 12:42 PM

Take a look into where Ross made a lot of his money....
Old 08-25-2012, 12:50 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Take a look into where Ross made a lot of his money....
We know where Ross made his money. Re-read the quote; "....my best friends and colleagues...."

Self indictment by proxy, Paul. That's what makes it so truthful; It's a grand example of "Freudian Slip". It was a member of Americas business elite admitting that he and his buds "don't give a damn" about any of US.

Dave

Last edited by BlueStreak; 08-25-2012 at 01:46 PM.
Old 08-25-2012, 01:35 PM

Ross made his money one step at a time. He had a paper route as a kid, a sales account at IBM that made him money during the computer boom, and then he got really wealthy with EDS. They primarily computerized GM and Blue Cross/Blue Shield networks.

Another thing Ross did with EDS was introduce the concept of a flexible work force by contracting tech workers to GM and taking them off GMs payroll. All legit stuff.

I've heard some stuff about a tax-free zone in Texas that he shuffled goods through but that's it. I heard some stuff.

Can anyone expand on it?

But the bottom line is people are missing the point on Ross. His view was that government policy should not undermine American workers. Most modern billionaires can't even say that, let alone believe it. What do we get from them now? Let me think about it. Oh yeah, today the poorest Americans have a microwave, teevee, and refrigerator so our work here is done.

Dicks.