Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-05-2012, 08:03 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by painter View Post
Dearest merrylander...we (you and I ) are of a different generation. Today's fathers are right in there for the launching of baby. Indeed some even assist during labor and delivery (cutting the cord). Hats off to them!
If we think of a pregancy as "WE" (both mother & father) its far healthier.
Birth is a miracle not easily forgotten.
Maam I realize that things have changed, I was merely pointing out that it is the mother that does the hard part. My choice of language may have been blunt but I find that with Bill one needs be that way. It is something like the farmer who was beating the mule on the head with a 2 x 4. He said he was not being cruel, he was only trying to get its attention.

I attended the birth of my one of brother's last two children, sadly neither one lived more than a few days. But that was in a Gatholic hospital and they did not allow the fathers in the delivery room. I also helped lower that tiny coffin into the grave, something I never want to expeience again.

I guess I come on strongly because I find that women are not given the rights they deserve here. It is rather odd, when Florence told her friends she was about to marry a Canadian they said "Why, they are all male chauvinists". The fact is that I really did not know what the word meant until I had been here for a couple of years.

Our relationship is probably odd, in 29 years we have had at most five argumants. One friend remarked that "Florence sees sunshine in strange places" but all I can say is that she is my life.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:10 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbara View Post
... or the teenager who was naive enough to believe 'you can't get pregnant the first time' may see things differently.
Barbara I imagine that was possibly the case with the young girl that gave us our son (I adopted him in Canada where the laws are more sensible) and though that was in my first marriage he has become a good son to Florence. Out of respect for his birth mother I kept the middle name she wanted for him. He knows that should he want to find her I have no objection as I owe her more than I can possibly repay.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:11 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
No apology needed. You bring a refreshing viewpoint to this site.
I'll drink to that.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
Maam I realize that things have changed, I was merely pointing out that it is the mother that does the hard part.

I guess I come on strongly because I find that women are not given the rights they deserve here.
All women? Even politicians?
Old 03-05-2012, 08:25 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
All women? Even politicians?
Well the only women pol I know is Senator Barb and I don't imagine anyone would dare to deny her her rights, not if they are halfway intelligent. She is a great lady and has helped us out more than once.

That said I am not too sure about the others, I don't recall if any of the ladies has been apointed chair of any of the committees.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:28 AM

Merry, it is admirable that you adopted and a blessing that the child was brought up in a loving home.

I work a few doors down from the foster care and adoption services for our county and I wish I could say that the majority of children were as lucky and blessed as your child.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:24 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbara View Post
Merry, it is admirable that you adopted and a blessing that the child was brought up in a loving home.

I work a few doors down from the foster care and adoption services for our county and I wish I could say that the majority of children were as lucky and blessed as your child.
Believe me Barbara the blessing all came my way. We now have two lovely granddaughters. The thing about the Canafdian system is you are interviewed and if approved you get a call one day to drop in at the agency. He was two months old at the time and they will make unannounced visits. After six months you receive an official birth certificate with husband and wife listed as the parents and that is it, all final.

Last edited by merrylander; 03-05-2012 at 09:27 AM.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:57 AM

Merry, sounds like the Canadians know how to do things right!
Old 03-05-2012, 10:15 AM
Resident octogenarian

Well I think so, but then my opinion may be biased.