Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-17-2010, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Combwork View Post
The problem is that unless we took the 18th century British way of doing things and colonised the place, any funding for schools and a better political system would have to have been done through the Iraqi government. I wonder how much of the money would have reached the civilian population.

One thing in Sadam's favor was under his rule Iraq was at least in part a secular society. Unless you were caught trying to rock the boat you could live pretty much how you liked.

Now look how it's improved, with women treated as equal's and tolerance of all faiths.
I suppose that the Koran, at least in some circles, is not a living document.

Chas
Old 06-17-2010, 07:06 AM
Resident octogenarian

Unfortunately, in discovering oil over there we gave a bunch of beknighted savages wealth. Between Sunni, Shia, Wahabism, Kurds, Turks, Kyrgs, Uzbecs, etc. it seems about time for a new version of the Merry Minuet. We should just come home and let them kill each other off.
Old 06-17-2010, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Now look how it's improved, with women treated as equal's and tolerance of all faiths.
Huh?

John
Old 06-17-2010, 12:10 PM

Quote:
The problem is that unless we took the 18th century British way of doing things and colonised the place, any funding for schools and a better political system would have to have been done through the Iraqi government. I wonder how much of the money would have reached the civilian population.

One thing in Sadam's favor was under his rule Iraq was at least in part a secular society. Unless you were caught trying to rock the boat you could live pretty much how you liked.

The secular aspect was a positive one.

The Shiah have always been in the majority if I'm not mistaken but the Sunni held most of the power. Now the situation has been reversed, Shiah hold the most power.

Now that the Baath Party has been banned in Iraq it has left a power vacuum that hasn't really been effectively filled; though there is a truce of sorts that has been brought about through power brokerage. Ironically the Baathists were secularists as well so ironically Iraq has more of a potential of becoming an Islamist state once the US is gone than before the invasion. Not a good situation in that part of the world.

Cheers

Lar
Old 06-17-2010, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
Unfortunately, in discovering oil over there we gave a bunch of beknighted savages wealth. Between Sunni, Shia, Wahabism, Kurds, Turks, Kyrgs, Uzbecs, etc. it seems about time for a new version of the Merry Minuet. We should just come home and let them kill each other off.
Hey, we were the savages in the relationship at one point, . At least our European ancestors were.

Apparently when the Ruskies were in Afghanistan they discovered huge mineral deposits. Now the US has 'rediscovery' this great wealth. Will be very interesting to see how this wealth benefits the people of Afghanistan.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...3trillion.html

Cheers

Lar
Old 06-17-2010, 01:18 PM

Back on topic

The reason I started this thread was to help get at the bigger picture. How in the hell did we allow BP, Transoceanic and Halliburton get into the position that something like this blow out could occur?

Although I don't believe in Karma I do believe that what goes around comes around and that we reap what we sow. The question of how BP's predecessor had so much power that it could influence the British government to ask the US government to help overthrow a legitimately elected democratic government is directly related to the question of how BP today was allowed to drill a well at that depth with no way of controlling it should the circumstances that occurred did occur.

Right now off the East Coast of Canada Chevron is drilling an exploratory well that is even deeper than BPs was in the Gulf. They want to do it in exactly the same way as BP did it as well. No relief wells, unless they are needed in an emergency. And guess where the rigs to drill the relief wells will have to come from? The Gulf, and that is if they are not in use, lol. How long will it take for them to move the rigs to the East Coast? Who knows it depends on the weather, how long to drill the relief wells? Same as in the Gulf maybe longer because of the added depth. What the _ uck are these people thinking? They are thinking dollars and cents and the bottom line for investor dividends, that's where their thinking stops.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/newfoundlan...drill-615.html

Sure great safety records are fine, until something like the Deepwater occurs, then it too late.

Time to rein these _uckers in me thinks.

By the way I'm apolitical, I'm a member of South Park's Blame Canada Party

Cheers

Lar
Old 06-17-2010, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
Huh?

John
It was a failed attempt at irony, not one of my strong points.
Old 06-17-2010, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Not to worry. Irony is hard to pull off without face to face.

Cheers

Lar
Old 06-18-2010, 07:41 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Based on your posts I knew it was irony.
Old 06-18-2010, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
Based on your posts I knew it was irony.
And I should have.

John