Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-23-2009, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noonereal View Post
How anyone can justify the continuation of immoral pay for folks who would be in jail if they did the same things on the street is bizarre.

It shows the mass psychology of the right is very effective.
Sorry, but to side with the GOP in these regards causes me to think of the Moonies, the followers of Jim Jones, David Koresh...

Voting for policies that favor the obscene rich may leaves you with a warm and fuzzy feeling but the reality is that it just makes you their bitch; not one of them.

Stop voting against your own self interests.
If they have broken the law, I'm all in favor of putting them in jail.

And if the laws favor the obscenely rich, or the rich, or the poor, they should be changed. I do not approve of laws that favor anyone.

And BTW, I don't think that I've ever gazed upon the Beltway and felt warm and fuzzy.

Gotta hit it, with 3 lousy hours of sleep to boot, later.

Chas
Old 10-23-2009, 07:16 AM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
If we're going to nationalize private industry, let's just lower our veil and do it.
So you are against Child Labor Laws, OSHA rules and consumer protections offered by the FDA?

Your current stance is consistent with those that opposed these bills.
Old 10-23-2009, 07:22 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Quote:
If we're going to nationalize private industry, let's just lower our veil and do it.....

....If we're to be a nation of laws, the government must abide by them also.

Chas
Agreed, why beat around the bush? Capitalism has worked very well for this country, but it does make winners and losers. Communism has proven to make losers and losers.

I wonder how many here have direct and indirect ties (accounts stock etc) to these evil banks. We are supposed to vote with our feet.

Pete
Old 10-23-2009, 07:24 AM
Abby Normal

Quote:
If they have broken the law, I'm all in favor of putting them in jail.

And if the laws favor the obscenely rich, or the rich, or the poor, they should be changed. I do not approve of laws that favor anyone.

And BTW, I don't think that I've ever gazed upon the Beltway and felt warm and fuzzy.

Gotta hit it, with 3 lousy hours of sleep to boot, later.

Chas
Many laws have been broken during the housing crises and no on is being prosecuted, this is a different issue.
Then you can add to that the rapping of the economy decisions made that are technically legal but against the best interest of the country.

I would indeed like to see prosecutions.

I would also like to exercise my vote as the owner of these banks that took my money to stay solvent and declare an end to obscene wages.
BTW it's a load of crap that they will loose the "best talent."
Old 10-23-2009, 07:29 AM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
Agreed, why beat around the bush? Capitalism has worked very well for this country,
Really?

More kool aid?

What made this country great for you and I were the laws put in place to curb capitalism, not capitalism and certainly not corporatism.

Sorry Pete, this is the kind of post that makes me shake with frustration as this is not philosophical but rather fact.
Old 10-23-2009, 09:06 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

While I agree we need some regulation, particularly regarding monopolies, systems that allow monopolies are not capitalist, or at the very least not free market economies.

In a very real sense government controlled industies are monopolies.

Pete
Old 10-23-2009, 12:01 PM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
Me too, of the politicians that FORCED banks to make risky loans in the first place. Do you need a list?
Does it come from the same source as that BS? No banks were 'forced' to make bad loans and in any case the banks did not risk very much. They bundled the loans into derivatives, skimmed off their points and sold them.
Old 10-23-2009, 12:26 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
Does it come from the same source as that BS? No banks were 'forced' to make bad loans and in any case the banks did not risk very much. They bundled the loans into derivatives, skimmed off their points and sold them.
That's how I understand it. It appears to me bad loans were knowingly made, then bundled and pawned off on investors. Which would be wholly and completely unethical, seems to me. And yet these crooks now think they are entitled to a fat bonus, compliments of the Americn taxpayer, when really they should be in prison receiving no compensation at all.

"Reverse Robinhoodism"---Stealing from the poor to give to the rich.
Welcome to 21st Century America. What a joke.

Dave
Old 10-23-2009, 02:13 PM
Resident octogenarian

The right wing has been flogging that poor dead horse for the last eight years, give the poor thing a decent burial. Whose bright idea was it to kill Glass Steagal - dear old Phil Gramm, McCain's financial advisor.

The idea that the government could make bankers do anything they did not want to do is laughable.
Old 10-23-2009, 02:43 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
Only in Reagans America would we feel pity for the rich and piss on our workers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
Sorry about the angry outburst, but I lose it when conservatives try to garner sympathy for those thieves.
Quote:
Originally Posted by noonereal View Post
but to side with the GOP in these regards causes me to think of the Moonies, the followers of Jim Jones, David Koresh...
You'all may be interested in Frontlines' 'The Warning', about a whistleblower who was ignored by Clinton, who allowed the derivatives market to be unregulated, the root of the banks close-to-failing (by their consensus anyway).

And yes, they make it clear it was Clinton. Although to be fair Bush didn't change it either. And then Obama still has Geithner and Bernake.

Pete