Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-12-2015, 06:24 PM
Admin

Well, the guy was a horse thief. The coppers should've castrated him.
Old 04-12-2015, 07:24 PM

This case is really bizarre, a 73 year old reserve deputy shooting down a fleeing suspect thinking he was using his Taser.

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-...412-story.html
Old 04-12-2015, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeamOn View Post
This case is really bizarre, a 73 year old reserve deputy shooting down a fleeing suspect thinking he was using his Taser.

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-...412-story.html
Does that sound familiar, Rajoo? That's the Johannes Mehserle defense.

It was bullshit then and I'd be willing to bet it's bullshit now. Cops wear their Tasers on their non-gun hip so that they have to use an unaccustomed hand to draw it. Plus the Taser itself is much larger than their sidearm and looks like a freakin' bumblebee with black and yellow markings all over it. In other words, you don't draw it by mistake and when you point it, there's no mistaking what you've got in your hand.

John

Last edited by Boreas; 04-12-2015 at 07:43 PM.
Old 04-12-2015, 08:48 PM

From Tulsa, Police Sgt. Jim Clark:

Quote:
“It is my opinion, after reviewing all the facts and circumstances of this case, [the state’s excusable homicide statute] was applicable in this incident," Clark said. "Reserve Deputy Bates did not commit a crime. Reserve Deputy Bates was a victim, a true victim, of 'slips and capture.' There’s no other determination I could come to.”
Slip = suspect running away ?
Capture = Shoot to kill?
Old 04-12-2015, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
According to Zeke, he was some sort of cop but isn't any more. I believe it because, if he were still a cop, we'd be reading about him in the papers.
This...
Old 04-12-2015, 11:03 PM
Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeamOn View Post
From Tulsa, Police Sgt. Jim Clark:

“It is my opinion, after reviewing all the facts and circumstances of this case, [the state’s excusable homicide statute] was applicable in this incident," Clark said. "Reserve Deputy Bates did not commit a crime. Reserve Deputy Bates was a victim, a true victim, of 'slips and capture.' There’s no other determination I could come to.”

Slip = suspect running away ?
Capture = Shoot to kill?
'Slip and capture error' is a recognized sort of mental/behavioral error in which an intention to act, due to stress or some other factor, 'slips.' The intention is 'captured' by another habitual behavior pattern. So you intend to do one thing, but you unknowingly do another.

I commit 'slip and capture' errors all the time, in the form of typos. I'll intend to type one word, and I'll type another. But the 'slip and capture error' is now famous in police circles because it was the basis of a partially successful defense in the 'BART shooting' case. The slip there, it is claimed, wasn't typing the wrong word, but shooting the wrong weapon. The officer meant to use his taser, but instead he drew his service pistol and killed the subject with it.

Obviously, such errors occur inside the head, and there is no positive evidence regarding them available. in other words, no one can prove one did happen, and no one can prove one did not. This evidence-free character means that such an error can be alleged in any case by anyone. It is up to a jury to decide how much credence they want to give such claims.

Sgt. Jim Clark either has paranormal insight into what went on inside the head of Reserve Deputy Bates, or he is in 'advocacy' mode when he states so positively that a 'slip and capture' error much have occurred.
Old 04-13-2015, 07:50 AM
Resident octogenarian

Did anyone see the front page article in WaPo about all these uses of excessive force? The cop is rarely found guilty.
Old 04-13-2015, 07:51 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixote99 View Post

I commit 'slip and capture' errors all the time...
Wow! Me too and I never realized that's what was happening. I keep thinking I'm having sex with my wife but it's accidentally with my step-daughter.

Last edited by Ike Bana; 04-13-2015 at 07:54 AM.
Old 04-13-2015, 07:57 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
Did anyone see the front page article in WaPo about all these uses of excessive force? The cop is rarely found guilty.
Yep, rarely convicted...and I actually wasted my otherwise precious time and some otherwise useful bandwidth to mention that to Zeke. His reply was that nobody's convicted because it isn't excessive force. Ya learn somthin' every day, eh?

Last edited by Ike Bana; 04-13-2015 at 08:00 AM.
Old 04-13-2015, 08:13 AM
Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Bana View Post
Wow! Me too and I never realized that's what was happening. I keep thinking I'm having sex with my wife but it's accidentally with my step-daughter.
I suppose that could happen under certain conditions. Do all three of you sleep in the same bed?

Since the 'slip and capture' is sort of a falling back on the more habitual behavior, I think it more likely that you meant to have sex with your step-daughter, but slipped and had sex with your wife by mistake.

Me, I type more common words in place of less common ones.

Last edited by donquixote99; 04-13-2015 at 08:17 AM.