Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-13-2015, 08:32 AM
Persona non grata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Bana View Post
Wow! Me too and I never realized that's what was happening. I keep thinking I'm having sex with my wife but it's accidentally with my step-daughter.
I transposed the numbers of my phone number the other day.

Does that count?
Old 04-13-2015, 10:37 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixote99 View Post
I suppose that could happen under certain conditions. Do all three of you sleep in the same bed?

Since the 'slip and capture' is sort of a falling back on the more habitual behavior, I think it more likely that you meant to have sex with your step-daughter, but slipped and had sex with your wife by mistake.

Me, I type more common words in place of less common ones.
Just my little sarcasm act for the use of the concept of 'slip and capture' as a copper's excuse.
Old 04-13-2015, 10:43 AM
Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Bana View Post
Just my little sarcasm act for the use of the concept of 'slip and capture' as a copper's excuse.
OK, see your point. It is, I think, a too easy all-purpose excuse for the law to recognize.

If you're going to carry a gun and a taser, and you can't keep straight which is in your hand at all times and conditions, you'd better stop carrying one or both.
Old 04-13-2015, 11:03 AM

'slip and capture', 'my life was in danger', 'posed a threat to .....'
At this rate cops don't need lawyers and no wonder these cases seldom go to court.
Old 04-13-2015, 11:58 AM
Sir Lord Vader of Cheam

Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke
Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
Did anyone see the front page article in WaPo about all these uses of excessive force? The cop is rarely found guilty.
Because it's rarely excessive.

For example, the pandering in the initial post about the guy "surrendering?" Until you are submitted and in cuffs, you're a threat. (Meaning? Initial poster knows jack shit about such situations.) Multiple times, I've witnessed someone give surrender signals then, once on the ground, do everything in their power to NOT be cuffed. That's NOT surrendering and is what got Rodney King, appropriately, handled with significant force due his actions.

As for slip and capture, it's a pretty neat legal trick -- with plausibility -- especially if you're a Reserve Deputy without the repetition of the daily guys. Further, in an intense situation, mistakes occur.

But in a naturally calm state it would be somewhat difficult to mistake a Taser for a duty weapon. In general, the Taser is half the weight but more front loaded, typically carried lower if on the same side or cross draw weak side, and (what I am familiar with) has a big yellow tip in aiming line of sight.

The ONLY way to sell this defense is to sell panic.

It happens but then you bring everything else you did into question as you cannot panic and be rational at the same time. When it all goes to hell due to an offender? That's where training takes over but a Reserve Deputy just isn't going to possess that level of diligence due to status.
Old 04-13-2015, 03:17 PM
Resident octogenarian

^^^Thus spake Zarathustra.
Old 04-13-2015, 03:37 PM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Joad View Post
http://www.cnn.com/2015/04/10/us/cal...olice-beating/

Here we go again.

Watch the video below. Dude gets tased, raises hands in surrender then drops face down on the ground and puts his hands behind his back. Then, Ten, count em, TEN cops beat the shit out of him. Check out the first cop that kicks him. Right in the fucking balls while he's lying face down in surrender.

I think we need a separate forum just for "Police Brutality"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KIKUEjn3Z0
cops kick handcuffed suspects who are on the ground as a matter of course

this is old as the hills

it's just how arrests are done, at lease out here in NY/NJ
Old 04-13-2015, 03:43 PM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke View Post
Because it's rarely excessive.

For example, the pandering in the initial post about the guy "surrendering?" Until you are submitted and in cuffs, you're a threat. (Meaning? Initial poster knows jack shit about such situations.) Multiple times, I've witnessed someone give surrender signals then, once on the ground, do everything in their power to NOT be cuffed. That's NOT surrendering and is what got Rodney King, appropriately, handled with significant force due his actions.

As for slip and capture, it's a pretty neat legal trick -- with plausibility -- especially if you're a Reserve Deputy without the repetition of the daily guys. Further, in an intense situation, mistakes occur.

But in a naturally calm state it would be somewhat difficult to mistake a Taser for a duty weapon. In general, the Taser is half the weight but more front loaded, typically carried lower if on the same side or cross draw weak side, and (what I am familiar with) has a big yellow tip in aiming line of sight.

The ONLY way to sell this defense is to sell panic.

It happens but then you bring everything else you did into question as you cannot panic and be rational at the same time. When it all goes to hell due to an offender? That's where training takes over but a Reserve Deputy just isn't going to possess that level of diligence due to status.
I don't know Zeke. All I can speak to is my experience and cops have a way of doing things that seems fairly universal. Whether it be assaulting a guy for spraying a train because he feels like it (and then tagging the guy with a resisting an arrest charge) or taking turns kicking a cuffed suspect. It's just the norm and your posts are excuses they use when confronted, which they generally are not under lawyer advise. At least that is my honest opinion and experiance.
Old 04-13-2015, 05:27 PM
Ready

It's tolerated, see?
Old 04-14-2015, 07:50 AM
Abby Normal

take the guns away is the only reasonable ansewer