Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-02-2012, 12:51 PM

I don't have a problem with business owners at all. Just greed and a the ability of some to disregard their employees well being.

I for one would do not want to make even more money by taking from the very people who through their efforts make that happen. Just some loyalty or gratitude shown to the employees. After all the employees are expected to show loyalty and gratitude to the employer.

Just think of the Golden Rule ....then apply it!

Barney

Last edited by Oerets; 02-02-2012 at 12:54 PM.
Old 02-02-2012, 01:03 PM
Admin

Bill you make some deeply flawed conclusions from some erroneous
assumptions. Without a satisfied workforce toiling for "the Man" as you put it, what that person has constructed is but a house of cards. Come down from your ivory tower, the world cannot be as simple as you claim. The employee is as important to the continued sucess of any enterprise as the capital used to fund it. One can't exist without the other. They are indisputably partners in the endeavor. Reverse class warfare is what you seem to be advocating here.There ain't no such thing as a free lunch, that goes both ways, my friend.
Old 02-02-2012, 02:49 PM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
assumptions. Without a satisfied workforce toiling for "the Man" as you put it, what that person has constructed is but a house of cards. Come down from your ivory tower, the world cannot be as simple as you claim. The employee is as important to the continued sucess of any enterprise as the capital used to fund it. One can't exist without the other. They are indisputably partners in the endeavor. Reverse class warfare is what you seem to be advocating here.There ain't no such thing as a free lunch, that goes both ways, my friend.
"Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration."

Abraham Lincoln
Old 02-02-2012, 03:01 PM
Admin

Ole Honest Abe was a liberal? and wrong handed? He would be turning in his grave if it wasn't for all that concrete!
Old 02-02-2012, 05:35 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Excellent Post!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dave
Old 02-02-2012, 05:46 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Hi Dave, Remember Rocket Boys- poor kid had to choose between high school and going down in the coal mine,after his father was injured saving other coal miners. It was the last place he was willing to go, but they were facing eviction cause Dad was injured on the job.
These folk who advocate this right to work doublespeak ought to go work for Massey Energy to get a taste of their own medicine. The sad part of these devotees of corporate greed is that they aren't even part of the ruling class.
They're simply lazy dupes wishing for a white collar job that's a myth in the first place. I love the sneering, snarling crap that spews from their mouths cause it just proves how shallow and lazy their thought processes are. When all else fails them, they start with calling faggot, leftys and similar perjoratives.
(look that one up DJ) I'm blue collar and I own my own business, meager though it is these days. I am a union man and I'll die a union man.

Rob hit the nail on the head re: abortion. Who in the hell can claim the right to tell anyone what they can do with their body. There is no argument that holds water saying otherwise.
Climbing up on a cross, draping oneself in the flag are all signs of a demagoge who is showing their failings for all to see.
Not Of This World they proclaim around this part of the country, sadly I agree and they should exit posthaste. It would make for a better place for the rest of us godless heathens.
My father went to work in a logging camp in 1931, when he was 14. My grandfather had injured his back at work and was subsequently fired for it. Then, unfortunately, turned to alcohol to "self-medicate". Well, with no insurance, and no job to provide the income to self pay, what in the heck is one supposed to do? Of course, back then there was no SSDI or Workmans Comp, so the boys had to go to work to support the family.

America really is a far better place now, than it was before the "New Deal". Despite all of the simpleminded "good ol' days" propaganda that so many have been sucked into.

Dave
Old 02-02-2012, 05:48 PM

My son, while visiting about 1.5 years ago, was complaining about his boss. He was doing installations for the main player in Anchorage, let's call it heating & cooling. It was in fact another discipline, but works fine for the story here.
Anyway, he's not happy because he knows that on certain jobs the owner made out pretty well, and didn't pass on any of the extra cash to the crew.

So I says, "You know what to do, right? Go start your own business. Treat your employees better than this guy, word will get around, and the talent will come to work for you. In a few years you'll be bigger than he is."

A couple months later, and much to my surprise, he started his own business.
Flash forward to today. He complains he can't find any employees who are willing to put in real effort. I asked if he had considered sharing in the profits. He says "I'm the one taking all the risks, doing all the paperwork, handling the customer. They're just laborers"

And then I sat back and smiled.
Old 02-02-2012, 05:58 PM
Area Man

Why? Because he's no better than the boss before him? Now, there's two of them?

Giving people no incentive only means that he never will find anyone willing to put forth any serious effort.

Actually, you know what? I take that back. They implemented an incentive program where I work. A few of us did try to take advantage of it, and put forth serious effort-----to no avail. The place runs no better now, than it did before.

Do you know why?

Dave
Old 02-02-2012, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
Why? Because he's no better than the boss before him? Now, there's two of them?

Dave
Because my son is learning how the world works. He knows he's not a bad boss, and can look back now and see his boss wasn't bad either. He calls his own shots now, but works very hard for that pleasure. He now understands that business owners deserve the fruits of their labor, and laborers deserve only the wage they signed up for. He also understands that if he is able to find decent workers, he will need to do something to entice them to stay.
Old 02-02-2012, 06:38 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasillaguy View Post
Because my son is learning how the world works. He knows he's not a bad boss, and can look back now and see his boss wasn't bad either. He calls his own shots now, but works very hard for that pleasure. He now understands that business owners deserve the fruits of their labor, and laborers deserve only the wage they signed up for. He also understands that if he is able to find decent workers, he will need to do something to entice them to stay.
But, usually, a strong wage is what attracts them in the first place.......unless they're desperate.

And, I would also like to ad; It isn't all just the fruits of his own labor. He didn't do everything himself, did he? Couldn't have. See, that's where the rub lies. Interdependence. The notion that all of the fruit belongs to the business owner isn't quite true. This ideology has an Achilles heel. Oh, yes, it surely does. Sometimes we must shake the tree to harvest the fruit.

Don, Barney, anyone; Care to chime in?

Dave