Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-11-2016, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasillaguy View Post
The bitching is about the government wanting to steal it.
So what government agency wants to steal your PFD money?
That is a new one on me. You still have not answered why Alaska should reward it's residents while begging for federal $'s.
Old 02-11-2016, 06:45 PM
Ready

Quote:
Fair? Who said anything about fair? Did your momma not tell you life isn't fair? Guess who put you in that position? It wasn't the citizens of Alaska, it was your beloved government, and you by your choice of place of residence.

And who's bitching about the PFD checks shrinking? They've been going up the last few years, but most folks understand the returns vary based on performance of the investments. I've seen them as low as $800 and as high as $2K.
The bitching is about the government wanting to steal it.
Why do you hate fairness?
Old 02-11-2016, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeamOn View Post
That is a new one on me. You still have not answered why Alaska should reward it's residents while begging for federal $'s.
If you're really interested, you could read up rather than spouting from an ignorant perspective. Short answers-
1. the state
2. Alaska does not reward it's residents, the revenues belong to the citizens. You know as well as I do that we got most of our federal gifts via the seniority of Ted Stevens in the senate. We played the game the way it's set up. Don't like it? Change the way it works. I'm all for term limits.
Old 02-11-2016, 06:54 PM
Admin

Quote:
If you're really interested, you could read up rather than spouting from an ignorant perspective. Short answers-
1. the state
2. Alaska does not reward it's residents, the revenues belong to the citizens. You know as well as I do that we got most of our federal gifts via the seniority of Ted Stevens in the senate. We played the game the way it's set up. Don't like it? Change the way it works. I'm all for term limits.
Spin.

Alas-ka is simply a moocher state like Louisiana and Mississippi with better scenery.
Old 02-11-2016, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Then I don't think you understand capitalism either. Private ownership, that's what we have in our constitution, right down to the natural resources. The gov role is to see that it's divvied up equally.
Once in a while they manage to get it right, like back in the 70's when a couple smart-ass lawyers tried to argue that longevity should factor in to who gets how much dividend. It failed in court as unconstitutional- all citizens are equal shareholders.
Most of the time they get it wrong, like when they build multi-million dollar schools in all the remote villages with 2 digit populations, or subsidize a losing scheme to sell barley to the world, or investing in a failed airline (Markair), or investing in a mothballed "clean coal" plant, or failed lumber mills, or failed shipping ports, etc, etc.
You seem to be the one who's confused. What you have is collective ownership, not private ownership.
Old 02-11-2016, 06:58 PM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
You seem to be the one who's confused. What you have is collective ownership, not private ownership.
Shhh. Collective means soci@list. Can't have that collective stuff in Alaska, the land of rugged individualism.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 02-11-2016, 06:59 PM
Koch-Teapublican

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeamOn View Post
Alaska is a strategic location for military bases is it not? I wonder how much Gov. funding is for that...

Why don't we look at states with the most spent on welfare programs (entitlements of all kinds). How is Alaska doing then?
Old 02-11-2016, 07:03 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBS... View Post
Alaska is a strategic location for military bases is it not? I wonder how much Gov. funding is for that...

Why don't we look at states with the most spent on welfare programs (entitlements of all kinds). How is Alaska doing then?
The military is the biggest so@ialist collective in the country. Ask IceNine, he was a lifer in the Navy.
Old 02-11-2016, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
The military is the biggest so@ialist collective in the country. Ask IceNine, he was a lifer in the Navy.
That's true. It's also the only successful so************************t collective, thanks to the wealth provided by the civilian capitalists.
Old 02-11-2016, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBS... View Post

Alaska has less population than say San Jose, CA which is across the street from me. So let's say that it's a ridiculous sample size if you were into statistics. And to answer question, Alaska is close to breaking even whereas CA is far from break even.

I am sad to say that the only state in the US that I have not visited is Alaska!