Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Off-topic
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-11-2010, 07:25 PM
Loyal Opposition

Security everywhere

I went to the Big 12 tournament in KC today, and it took at least a half hour to get through the queue to get into the arena. Everyone was being individually scanned. I lost two pocketknives, because I didn't think I needed to empty my pockets to go to a basketball game. Even after leaving two hours before game time, with all of the hassle at the gate, we didn't get to our seats until the first TV timeout. Are we gonna have metal detectors at the shopping malls next?

That being said, the Jayhawks sure look like the real thing. They played a sloppy game and still won by 12.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 03-11-2010, 08:07 PM

Your papers, Herr D-Man.

You were carrying TWO pocketknives? Did they find the razor in your shoe? Only hope they didn't steal one that you were attached to.

I'm of a notion that these zero tolerance security measures are insane. And ineffective. It must be an effort at stopping terrorism, but what kind of idiot terrorist would pull a pocketknife in a crowd at a basketball game? I would advise anyone who tries this to first attach a lanyard, as to make it easier to retrieve his sticker from his, well.

I'm just thankful that this is the land of the free and the home of the brave, unlike some of those countries which are effectively police states.

Which reminds me. Back during the Ricin scare, the local pizza joint called the Chief of Police to investigate a pizza crust box which contained a suspicious white power. They also had a big scare at the courthouse due to a suspicious package left out front, which turned out to be a crumpled paper sack with some garbage in it.

Chas
Old 03-11-2010, 11:04 PM
Loyal Opposition

I think they suspected a conspiracy of middle-aged guys with two inch blades, starting to say "I wanna Kill, Kill, Kill." That sounds almost as dangerous as littering. (apologies to Arlo Guthrie)

By the way, my condolences to the Tiggers. I really do like your coach. He played at Tulsa University while my wife was finishing her degree there.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 03-26-2010, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Your papers, Herr D-Man.

I'm just thankful that this is the land of the free and the home of the brave, unlike some of those countries which are effectively police states.

Chas
you are joking, right?
Old 03-28-2010, 07:04 AM

Not that funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWAR View Post
you are joking, right?
Compared to the U.K. it's not a joke.

1). We have more CCTV cameras per head than any other country including
North Korea.

2). The government assumption here is that if the public wants to know
something they have to establish that they have a right to know. We do
have a freedom of information act, but it's amazing what the government
can hide on the grounds of 'national security'. In the U.S.A. the
assumption is the public has a right to know and if they don't want to tell,
it's up to the government to prove good reason.

Nobody likes terrorists right? But governments in the 'free world' keep the public unaware of all manner of things in the name of 'preventing terrorism'.
Old 03-28-2010, 10:02 AM
Area Man

It HAS to be that way, Combwork.

I recently told all of my family/friends on Facebook;

"Everytime I hear one of you bitching about being hassled by the TSA at the airport, I smile inside. Because it means my government IS doing exactly as I would expect them too, trying to keep us safe. And the fact that only two, that's right TWO, would be terrorists have managed make it onto an airplane and into U.S. airspace since 9/11/01 is clear evidence that it IS working. Think of all of the millions upon millions of people who have boarded aircraft within and bound for the United States in that time. "Two" is not just good, it's positively fantastic. So, empty your pockets, walk through the machine, answer the questions and shut your fucking pie hole."

Regards,
Dave

Last edited by BlueStreak; 03-28-2010 at 10:04 AM.
Old 03-28-2010, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post

"Everytime I hear one of you bitching about being hassled by the TSA at the airport, I smile inside. Because it means my government IS doing exactly as I would expect them too, trying to keep us safe. And the fact that only two, that's right TWO, would be terrorists have managed make it onto an airplane and into U.S. airspace since 9/11/01 is clear evidence that it IS working. Think of all of the millions upon millions of people who have boarded aircraft within and bound for the United States in that time. "Two" is not just good, it's positively fantastic. So, empty your pockets, walk through the machine, answer the questions and shut your fucking pie hole."

Regards,
Dave
I have to admit, after my recent trip on the big silver bird I really can't complain about the TSA. They appeared competent and were actually friendly. Don't really know why they pulled my wife to one side for the once over, but I guess they have their reasons.

But I still think seizing pocket knives at a basketball game is a little over the top. A Bowie knife yes, but a pocket knife? It would be easier to kill someone with a Bic pen than the average pocket knife.

Chas
Old 03-28-2010, 10:58 AM
Resident octogenarian

BTW, I keep hearing the story that he was going to blow the plane up over Detroit. According to its flight path at the time he started mucking about with his undies the plane was over St. Catherines or London Ontario. So when did they stop teaching geography here?
Old 03-31-2010, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post

Regards,
Dave
Fair points, I've no problem with security where it's clearly needed; the latest fuss here is airport all-body scanners. If you look very carefully, you might just about spot whether it's a man or a woman. If it helps reduce or even prevent terrorism then great. But my general point still stands; governments use "prevention of terrorism" as an excuse to get away with more or less whatever they want.

Latest insanity is the full Burka. If you even hint that a devout Muslim woman should not wear it in public you'll have the anti racism brigade dropping on you like birdshit.

Last edited by Combwork; 03-31-2010 at 11:51 AM.
Old 03-31-2010, 02:50 PM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Combwork View Post
Fair points, I've no problem with security where it's clearly needed; the latest fuss here is airport all-body scanners. If you look very carefully, you might just about spot whether it's a man or a woman. If it helps reduce or even prevent terrorism then great. But my general point still stands; governments use "prevention of terrorism" as an excuse to get away with more or less whatever they want.

Latest insanity is the full Burka. If you even hint that a devout Muslim woman should not wear it in public you'll have the anti racism brigade dropping on you like birdshit.
So how do you know then that it is a devout Muslim 'woman', it could be Elvis for all you can tell.