Go Back   Political Forums > Economy
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-07-2013, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
I am a government worker.

You made a point that 41 percent of the people in the last job numbers from Friday were government workers. Supposedly a bad thing if true.

highly suspicious source by the way
Old 12-07-2013, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icenine View Post
You have to invest in your country if you want a nice place for your kids to grow up. If you look closely at all these moronic false deficit mongers like Paul Ryan you will see that their INDIVIDUAL pockets are being filled by the likes of the Koch brothers. The Koch brothers and their friends just care about avoiding taxes on their incomes.....I do not believe they really are concerned about the government going broke 30 years from now. But they use that fear to increase their power now.

All these Simpson and Bowles acolytes...people like Ryan and that Senator that held up a large cardboard credit card in the Senate....are government workers......

part of the so called problem they want to fix
and many of them have dirty money in their pockets from outside resources.

if you think America does not need SS, Medicare, and now Obamacare then you do not have your eyes open.
With a single income, a wife and three kids, I'm investing quite enough as it is, thank you.

And the "they" you're talking about, does that include all those rich Dems too?
Old 12-07-2013, 09:04 AM

Quote:
I am a government worker.

You made a point that 41 percent of the people in the last job numbers from Friday were government workers. Supposedly a bad thing if true.

highly suspicious source by the way
Its not necessarily a bad thing all by itself. But again, if the public sector is growing and the private sector (which pays for the expanding public sector) is not (or growing at an anemic 1%), then to Don's point the only way to finance the expanding public sector is more borrowing.

In fact, most states - 41 - actually saw their private sector shrink between 2007 and 2012. So, if Bob wants more deficit spending, there's really only one way to do that: add to the deficit and the debt.
Old 12-07-2013, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Wouldn't surprise me.

The "so what" is: where is the money coming from to pay the gov't workers? If there's still anemic economic growth, and private sector employment isn't rising at a sustainable level, then there's not enough income tax money to fund the increased gov't employment.
that is basically the Hoover program to fight the Depression.......and look how it worked.

By you analysis if you were a doctor and had a patient who was bleeding to death instead of stopping the bleeding you would cut off the oxygen too....making death come much quicker.

you would not be a doctor I want to see.

your insane Whell

I mean at my MAC state university they taught macroeconics...Michigan State did not? lol

Last edited by icenine; 12-07-2013 at 09:10 AM.
Old 12-07-2013, 09:36 AM
Area Man

Well, you see, Robbin, when the economy goes sour we have to stop paying people so they can go out and buy the products and services that others depend on for their inco........................

Hmmmm............Nevermind.

Only an idiot would do that.

Dave
Old 12-07-2013, 09:52 AM

Quote:

that is basically the Hoover program to fight the Depression.......and look how it worked.
Yeah, I guess it didn't work as well as the economic stimulus plan called WW II.

By the way, maybe they didn't teach history in the MAC. Far from a free-market idealist, Hoover was an ardent believer in government intervention to support incomes and employment. This is critical to understanding the origins of the Great Depression. Franklin Roosevelt didn't reverse course upon moving into the White House in 1933; he went further down the path that Hoover had blazed over the previous four years.
Old 12-07-2013, 10:14 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Yeah, I guess it didn't work as well as the economic stimulus plan called WW II.
Based on that assumption we should be in really great shape after Afghanistan and Iraq.
Old 12-07-2013, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
Based on that assumption we should be in really great shape after Afghanistan and Iraq.
Seriously? Comparing Ww II to Afghanistan and Iraq is like comparing Niagra Falls to a lawn sprinkler.
Old 12-07-2013, 11:49 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Seriously? Comparing Ww II to Afghanistan and Iraq is like comparing Niagra Falls to a lawn sprinkler.
One bloody expensive lawn sprinkler.
Old 12-07-2013, 10:42 PM
reflexionar

I'm going to bed so I won't stay up and do the math, but if we were to increase taxes even a small percentage to the 90% of the income going to the top 5% of the people I wonder how much income we could generate for the country? Seems to me though that a couple percent would equal taxing the rest of the population at 10% or so though.