Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > The Auto industry
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
View Poll Results: Do you support the UAW?
Yes, I buy UAW/CAW cars pretty much exclusively. 5 35.71%
No, but I buy cars owned by either GM or Ford (American owned, profit to us) 5 35.71%
No, I prefer foreign cars. 4 28.57%
I ride a bicycle. 0 0%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-02-2012, 01:46 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Dave I knew you'd be by shortly

And parts! Forget it, even just USA let alone union made. All the NOS forgetten on the shelf parts I buy for the 85 are made in the US, with precious few exceptions none are now, even American owned companies. Some of the Moog problem solvers I bought for the 03 recently came out of Mexico, and scarily (if you think about it) the clearly premium rotors I picked up for it (they are really nice) were made in China.

I wonder if my old 75 Cutlass was all union? I dunno.

Ice the 2 new Found On Roadside Deads'll cancel out 1 used Honda so says I lol. So you're only down one

John, you've got one in mind?

Pete
Old 07-02-2012, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
Ice the 2 new Found On Roadside Deads'll cancel out 1 used Honda so says I lol. So you're only down one
Whew that makes me feel better....when I was a kid my dad bought a 74 Maverick two door straight six.....I drove it to the junkyard in Athens Ohio in '85. It never let me down, althought that thing was an old rust bucket. 135,000 miles...alot for the Buckeye state back then. 135k is just breaking in on a Honda...thats why they are everywhere at once...
Old 07-02-2012, 02:10 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Shouldn't you compare a 74 Honda to the Maverick?

The hood kids drive a lot of old Civics, many with mad miles. But how did Toyota and Honda become as American as apple pie? Nonunion and the big money goes back to their corporate masters in Japan.

That said, the big Fords I tend to drive last forever. The first one I bought, a 84 Grand Marquis (a real beauty, ice white with a silver top and silver plush interior) had 150k+ on it already. I drove to to well over 200 with nothing past routine maintenence. For the most part this has been my experience through today. And I see many former livery Fords with well over 300.

One might mention my old 85. But I bought it ragged out and still have 30k on it.

Pete
Old 07-02-2012, 02:49 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
Dave I knew you'd be by shortly

And parts! Forget it, even just USA let alone union made. All the NOS forgetten on the shelf parts I buy for the 85 are made in the US, with precious few exceptions none are now, even American owned companies. Some of the Moog problem solvers I bought for the 03 recently came out of Mexico, and scarily (if you think about it) the clearly premium rotors I picked up for it (they are really nice) were made in China.

I wonder if my old 75 Cutlass was all union? I dunno.

John, you've got one in mind?

Pete
No, your '75 Cutlass was not all union. As I recall, by the mid '70s they had already begun sourcing electronic components and steel from foreign countries, mainly Japan. You'd have to go back, (IIRC) to the early '60s for that.

I remember my Pops complaining about the foreign steel. He said the highest quality steel came from Ohios own Republic Steel. He called the Japanese steel of the day "Glorified Tin.".

BTW, I had a '75 Cutlass too. Handed down to me by an older sister. Mine was a "Salon", Silver with a blue interior, 350 four barrel. By the time I got it, circa 1981, it was already full of rust holes. Must've been that fine Japanese steel.

Dave
Old 07-02-2012, 02:57 PM
Resident octogenarian

His and Hers fully loaded 2000 Chev Impala LSs both union made in Oshawa Ontario.
Old 07-02-2012, 03:04 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

I'm glad we can blame the Japs for that

Sad to say, working in a steel warehouse in the 80s, we had to mic all domestic inbound coils to be certain they were within tolerance. Japanese steel, we mic'd one per truck to be sure they shipped the right guage. They were always within tolerance.

That was later though. And now even the last teenie working bit of old Republics' a foreign company. Sad days.

Me and my buds used to wander around what was by then LTV steel smoking and drinking beer until the guys would throw us out

Liked my old 75! Hard to believe that big car was midsized. Silver with a red 1/4 top and interior. Spray painted from the doors back. Dang jap steel!

Pete
Old 07-02-2012, 03:21 PM

My Honda CRV 2002 was built in Swindon, by Honda of UK. A unionized plant by the way....a Japanese designed car assembled in England...sort of cool.
Old 07-02-2012, 03:25 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

So they're still going strong Rob? Must not be Jap steel 12-13 years old is a long time!

Ice, but, how's the wiring? That is pretty cool.

Pete
Old 07-02-2012, 03:43 PM
Resident octogenarian

Only thing replaced are tires and batteries on both, plus brake pads on mine. Still able to blow the the doors off most rice burners.
Old 07-02-2012, 03:52 PM

I support American companies and American workers, unfortunately that also supports American Unions. Two out of three ain't bad