Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-09-2011, 09:57 PM

Thanks Dave,

Been in a pretty good state of mind here lately.

I don't know. This last election showed how quickly fortunes can change and the GOP seem to be at least some what aware of that. With more independents than ever, you have to wonder if this sort of thing might turn some of them off. Democrats need to be careful here too. Don't want to come off like they're trying to capitalize on the tragedy. But I think it's fair to point out that this is dangerously close to something some of their candidates called for. And like I say, it's just in poor taste. Shows poor judgment. And if you want to run the country, that's a problem.

This is another one of those deals that I want to advise the NRA on. If I ran the organization, I'd write an open letter to the GOP not to use gun imagery in political messages. I would tell them it's a disservice to gun owners and that responsible gun owners renounce anything that creates the impression, even in jest, that guns should be used for political gain. Hell, if they made that one statement it would totally change my view of the entire organization.

Not holding my breath.
Old 01-09-2011, 10:04 PM
Loyal Opposition

The entertainment I saw in my youth romanticized a time when gunslingers kept peace in towns. You have someone causing a ruckus, the sheriff will tell the miscreant that the town ain't big enough for the two of them. I'm pretty sure most people in this age would rather rely on voting machines (isn't the term "ballot box" an anachronism) than see justice dispensed by the quickest draw. Most certainly we don't want to see our politics degraded to this point.
Staying with the theme of the costume drama. Remember that tea party ad last year that had the tea party candidate talking to men in colonial uniforms? Do you think we will see any more political ads calling on opponents of the administration to "gather your armies."?

I don't know what the proper response is to the violent rhetoric, but I hope that folks smarter than me are working on it.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 01-09-2011, 11:07 PM
Loyal Opposition

We might differ on our responses to this tragedy, and our particular political viewpoint might affect how we place responsibility, but I think everyone here took the shooting seriously. Some people don't get it though. This was a comment to EJ Dionne's column on the shooting:

Quote:
zcxnissan wrote:
i guess that health care vote doesn't look so good now, lol.
1/9/2011 11:07:59 PM
Recommend (1)
Amazingly, someone else saw fit to give it a thumbs up. That is just sick.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 01-09-2011, 11:37 PM

I think we can all agree there's nothing wrong with this:

http://www.cafepress.com/rightwingstuff/216475

http://www.cafepress.com/rightwingstuff/7268721
Old 01-10-2011, 12:34 AM

Wow. Don't know how I missed this until now. Just an interesting reflection- if you're not familiar with the story of Alan Berg, this is as good an occasion as any to read it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Berg

I don't know guys. There sure has been a lot of talk, almost all from the right, calling for violent rebellion. I don't see how you can just throw up your hands now that it's happened and say "who saw that coming?"

This is a pretty interesting compilation. Certainly has a bias, but very interesting all the same.

http://www.csgv.org/issues-and-campa...ction-timeline
Old 01-10-2011, 05:28 AM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
I've never seen so many simple minded fuckers in one place in my life.

Meantime you are the racist. That is rich.

Last edited by noonereal; 01-10-2011 at 05:30 AM. Reason: removed the word motherfucker
Old 01-10-2011, 05:48 AM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
It doesn't add up? Where are all the dead republicans from MSNBCs hate speak?
I have never heard any talk from the left that suggested that we go out and arm ourselves because we lost and election. I never heard any talk from the left suggesting that we "take the country back" loaded with gun imagery.
Yep no suggestions of violence in spite of the emergence of the teabag party by Fox (talk about simple minded).
Old 01-10-2011, 05:53 AM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
Would you have voted for her, or did you feel like she was properly in Sarah's cross-hairs? Or is that a simple-minded question? Sarah Palin didn't kill her, Fox news did not kill her, but their rhetoric did nothing to soothe that madman's soul.

Regards,

D-Ray
and that is the point of my thread.

All weekend now talking heads and pols are saying it's time to tone down the rhetoric. Why now?
it was perfectly clear before Saturday that the rhetoric was way over the top for years.
I think if you are a talking head and it took this to make you understand you are a pretty stupid talking head.
Old 01-10-2011, 05:56 AM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post

The logic really isn't that hard to put together. Lunatic + dangerous weapon + idiot from Nevada running her mouth about "2nd Amendment Options" + asshole on Fox scaring the shit out of unstable minds with baseless tales of Stalinistic totalitarianism = People getting shot.
Is this that rocket science stuff?
Old 01-10-2011, 06:03 AM
AKA Sister Mary JJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
OK, Chas, Whell, JJIII and/or Twodogs. Take a moment and read this short piece and please explain where it is that you take issue with it.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/10/op...1.html?_r=1&hp
I'll try...

"It is facile and mistaken to attribute this particular madman’s act directly to Republicans or Tea Party members"

So far... so good.

"But it is legitimate to hold Republicans and particularly their most virulent supporters in the media responsible for the gale of anger that has produced the vast majority of these threats, setting the nation on edge. "

Maybe it's the legislation that has been proposed and passed that has angered conservatives.

"Many on the right have exploited the arguments of division, reaping political power by demonizing.........."

Both sides have exploited the arguements of division. (Maddow, Olbermann..)
Both sides are wrong to do so.

"They seem to have persuaded many Americans that the government is not just misguided, but the enemy of the people. "

Many Americans think that the policies offered up by liberal office holders are bad for the country. I don't know how many actually think of the government as "the enemy". Certainly many think that some should be removed from office as witnessed by the last election.

"Now, having seen first hand the horror of political violence, Arizona should lead the nation in quieting the voices of intolerance, demanding an end to the temptations of bloodshed"

That I can agree with whole-heartedly.