Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Economy
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-12-2010, 09:30 AM
AKA Sister Mary JJ

"(which made us look like geniuses because of how much he grew up that year, but he deserves all of the credit for that)."

Don't you love it when it works out like that? I dare say he had been given the tools to work through problems in his life and chose not to use them for a while. He obviously then remembered what he had been taught over the years and got himself back on track. Life is good.
Old 02-12-2010, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
The point is, I am definitely more conservative in my lifestyle than I am in my politics, but that is a choice I am free to make.
I really liked reading your post. You have some lucky kids there. They'll do great.

I think most liberals live a reasonably conservative lifestyle, at least relative to the issues that are typically hung around our necks. I'm not planning to marry a guy just because I support gay marriage, and I'm completely 100% against abortion as a personal decision at least with regards to birth control. But I support the Court's decision to protect personal privacy in Row v. Wade.
Old 02-12-2010, 09:46 AM
Loyal Opposition

To get waaay off topic here - One of the most important things we learned in parenting is that the kids hear what you say, even if it looks like they aren't paying attention. We attended a lecture when they were very young about the tapes that play back in the minds of people, based upon what they heard growing up. That's why we always told them that they could do anything they put their mind to, and never told them that they were bad boys, just that they had made bad choices. It's kind of interesting to hear them talk sometimes about this friend or that "making bad choices," and occasionally admit to making some of their own. Not meaning to brag. I just love my kids.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 02-12-2010, 10:40 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
There are effective regulations on the federal government, it is called The Constitution. However, some administrations ignored it and the current Supreme Court is of no help whatsoever.

I'll make a deal with cyclists who don't want to wear helmets or drivers who don't want to wear seatbelts. The EMTs are not responsible for picking up the pieces when you crash, OK?

Having installed seatbelts in a 1962 Ford Falcon I was damn glad I was wearing them whe it rolled over and screw the government, if you ride in my car it does not move umnless the seatbelts are all on. That is not the result of some interlock but is a result of the driver who does not want his insurance rates to go up.
Heck Rob, ALL politicians ignore the Constitution. It limits their power.

I'd be willing to bet 8 million dollars (because it can't be proved lol) that if you could pull a bunch of Founders up here timewise they would call the Experiment a failure, prosperity aside.

I wear my seatbelt too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast_Eddie View Post
Well, the difference, of course, is that the government isn't private or for public. It is all of us. And acts in *our* interst not the interest of corporate proffit. The last couple of decades mis-trust in government really is a healty check on things, I don't dispute that. But ultimately we need the government to keep private industry from crushing us.

Like a lot of Americans I'm kinda stuck on the health care thing, but it really is a great example. We need help and that help should come from the federal government.
I'm strangely OK with health care reform in concept. I don't even consider activist government to be 'automatically' a bad thing (though it usually is). But our duty lies (laid? lewd?) with protecting the Constitution, as our defense against the monopoly power of government. So if that storied document needed changing to do something we all agreed was necessary it should be (have been) amended, not ignored.

Quote:
I'll give you a two for one trade. You don't say "vis a vis," and I won't say "vel non" and "to tell the truth."

Regards,

D-Ray
I had to look up 'vel non'

But deal!

Quote:
....I'm not planning to marry a guy just because I support gay marriage...
Suuuuuurrrrrrre you're not

Pete
Old 02-12-2010, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
Suuuuuurrrrrrre you're not

Pete
I've always like you Pete.
Old 02-12-2010, 11:41 AM
Resident octogenarian

Here is an amusing thought, when California decided to renege on gay marriage it was all for naught. As long as one state allows gay marriage the other 49 states are bound to recognize it - Article IV, Constitution of these United States.

BTW, in case no one noticed my avatar that is Sir Robert Borden another of Canada's Prime Ministers. Since Sir Wilfred was a Liberal I thought it only fair to give a Conservative equal time.

Last edited by merrylander; 02-12-2010 at 11:44 AM.
Old 02-12-2010, 11:54 AM

Quote:
I'll give you a two for one trade. You don't say "vis a vis," and I won't say "vel non" and "to tell the truth."
If I hear one more person say "to tell the truth" I'm literally going to explode.

John
Old 02-12-2010, 12:09 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Quote:
I've always like you Pete.
Lmao!! I've always been strangely attracted to insane intelligent chimps. Maybe change the hat lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
Here is an amusing thought, when California decided to renege on gay marriage it was all for naught. As long as one state allows gay marriage the other 49 states are bound to recognize it - Article IV, Constitution of these United States.

BTW, in case no one noticed my avatar that is Sir Robert Borden another of Canada's Prime Ministers. Since Sir Wilfred was a Liberal I thought it only fair to give a Conservative equal time.
Indeed.

I've been meaning to ask about your lastest guy but get caught up in the political violence of posting . Do he do anything noteworthy?

Pete
Old 02-12-2010, 12:38 PM
Resident octogenarian

He got us through WW I with distinction, not really noted anywhere but Canada has never lost any war that it was in. He was a maritimer, from Nova Scotia.
Old 02-12-2010, 01:59 PM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
If I hear one more person say "to tell the truth" I'm literally going to explode.

John
Yeah, like he's lying the rest of the time, but you'd better believe him when he says "to tell the truth."

Regards,

D-Ray