Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-01-2015, 10:25 AM

This is a bad decision

SCOTUS rules Muslim woman should not have been denied Abercrombie & Fitch job over head covering

Abercrombie is selling fashion to a particular demographic and thus have to project and maintain an image. Hijab does not make a fashion statement, to me anyway. More of a badge of honor. It's a private business and it is their prerogative what image they want to project. This is just my opinion and not sure of the legality in the case.

Basically my question is how can the SCOTUS rule in favor of Holly Hobby and thus make accommodation for their religious leaning yet rule against Abercrombie for something similar? Is it the hatred for Obamacare that won the case for Holly Hobby?

http://www.cnn.com/2015/06/01/politi...tch-headscarf/
Old 06-01-2015, 10:28 AM

A&F wasn't interested in the young devout but not fanatic Moslem male demographic? Who'da thunk?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
Old 06-01-2015, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeamOn View Post
[B]Basically my question is how can the SCOTUS rule in favor of Holly Hobby and thus make accommodation for their religious leaning yet rule against Abercrombie for something similar? Is it the hatred for Obamacare that won the case for Holly Hobby?
Why look for consistency from a court which said their ruling in Bush v. Gore must not be used as a precedent in deciding any other case ever?

But I think A&F missed the boat by not claiming that a hijab-wearing employee was deeply offensive to their religious beliefs. They would have skated home free then.
Old 06-01-2015, 10:51 AM
Rational Anarchist

Being deeply offended should be declared unconstitutional.
Old 06-01-2015, 11:01 AM
Banned

Now this is something that could get really interesting. Say your applying for the receptionist job at the mega-plastic surgery practice in Beverly Hills, and...

http://eplirisk.com/body-modificatio...ious-practice/
Old 06-01-2015, 11:12 AM
Jigsawed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Bana View Post
Now this is something that could get really interesting. Say your applying for the receptionist job at the mega-plastic surgery practice in Beverly Hills, and...

The courts will adjust to a rapidly changing society.

Sportsmen and sportswomen have really changed attitudes.
Old 06-01-2015, 11:16 AM

Perhaps it depends on the job.....

If she were s model for a line of clothing, I can understand why they would not want her to wear the scarf while modeling.

If she were a receptionist... ....why would it matter?

Head scarfs, abayas, kufis, etc are all pretty much main stream where I live. Not a problem.
Old 06-01-2015, 11:19 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeamOn View Post
SCOTUS rules Muslim woman should not have been denied Abercrombie & Fitch job over head covering

Abercrombie is selling fashion to a particular demographic and thus have to project and maintain an image. Hijab does not make a fashion statement, to me anyway. More of a badge of honor. It's a private business and it is their prerogative what image they want to project. This is just my opinion and not sure of the legality in the case.

Basically my question is how can the SCOTUS rule in favor of Holly Hobby and thus make accommodation for their religious leaning yet rule against Abercrombie for something similar? Is it the hatred for Obamacare that won the case for Holly Hobby?

http://www.cnn.com/2015/06/01/politi...tch-headscarf/
Can a company refuse to hire someone for wearing a cross or Star of David necklace to a job interview? Could Muslim business owners refuse to hire a woman for refusing to wear the Hijab?
Old 06-01-2015, 11:20 AM
Sir Lord Vader of Cheam

Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke
This reminds me a bit of the argument related to American Indians wearing eagle feathers at graduations.

If I recall, and support, the denial was based in the concept of a situational uniform or daily process.

I grok the concept of the A&F decision but don't grasp why it was necessary. Who cares what she wears unless you're dressing people only in your stuff...
Old 06-01-2015, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Bana View Post

In our area, it seems imperative that most if not all barista's are required to sport tattoo's and piercings, though this does not personally bother me. They usually have impeccable manners.

We had a long term employee who only left us to work with his father, one of the most productive ones we ever had, sported tattoos on his neck and even the forehead. He was also a class act despite the adornments, but he did not interface with customers.