Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-02-2015, 12:24 PM
Area Man

I think Bruce Jenner, Caitlyn or whatever that is, is a weirdo. But, I also believe this is America and that we Americans have a right to be as weird as we want to be, despite the efforts of some who apparently wish to use religious fiat and Theocracy based government to control every tiny aspect of our lives..........

.......which couldn't possibly be more patently un-American.

Dave
Old 06-02-2015, 01:25 PM

I know this sounds like a sexist thing to say, especially since I'm outnumbered here.... But it seems to me that men are less accepting of her than women are.

I could be wrong..... This has just been my observation.

By the way..... For being 65 years old.... She looks like she could be half that age in the photographs.
Old 06-02-2015, 01:31 PM
Ready

Unlimited resources and a long process have been employed to make her look that good. Some on the right are inclined to take this as proof of a plot to make Americans accepting of this unnatural thing, and so further sap our moral fiber.
Old 06-02-2015, 01:37 PM
Persona non grata

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbara View Post
Caitlyn Jenner?
I try not to.
Old 06-02-2015, 01:38 PM
Admin

It could be that we're mostly old farts and curmudgeons unimpressed with pop celebrities like the Kardashian clan, Barbara. .

Speaking for myself, I'm accepting of whatever people want to be, even Republican'ts and their Tea Drenched stooges.

It takes a certain courage to come out to the world as LGBT. More power to the Caitlin's of this world. Here's a cool movie that does the subject well and funny. 'Kinky Boots'
Old 06-02-2015, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Caitlyn Jenner?
Looks better as a woman quite frankly. Good for him/her.
Old 06-02-2015, 02:02 PM
Admin

I heard this morning that she got more twit followers than the President in the same amount of time.

Not a fan of Twitter and my Facebook account is inactive. I must be a Luddite.
Old 06-02-2015, 03:46 PM

Quote:
I know this sounds like a sexist thing to say, especially since I'm outnumbered here.... But it seems to me that men are less accepting of her than women are.
I don't know whether that's true or not but, if it is., perhaps the same thing can be said of women when it comes to people like Chas Bono.

Not long ago, I was speaking to someone about a recent episode of Game of Thrones. In this particular episode, a really odious character committed the wedding night rape of another character. The actual rape was not shown. All we saw were the facial reactions of a third character who was forced to watch.

My friend, who hasn't seen any of the show said that the episode was a big topic of conversation at work and a number of women swore that they were done with GoT. Because of the rape scene, they said they were never going to watch the show again.

In the course of several earlier episodes, the character who raped his bride had first tortured and then emasculated another character, the one who later was forced to watch the rape. The scenes of torture were fairly graphic and, as I mentioned, stretched out over several episodes.

It's interesting to ponder this. The women who vowed never to watch GoT again because of the rape scene were apparently not nearly as upset by the earlier scenes of the torture of a male character. I suppose it's a case of our degree of identification with the victim. Women identify more strongly to the experiences of female characters and men with those of male characters.
Old 06-02-2015, 04:31 PM
Banned

There are many transgendered people who are hoping that this publicity will do some good for them. Perhaps helping with understanding what they face, the problems with family acceptance, and the cost of reassignment. I don't think that Caitlyn is necessarily the most appropriate poster woman for the transgender community. She's always been a ridiculous self-promoter, loaded with money and with pretty much unlimited resources available whenever the bank got low.

There are thousands upon thousands of transgender people who have been scraping out a living because of prejudice, and who have suffered for decades because there was no way in hell they could come up with the money for the reassignment. Find one of those women or men to be the spokesperson. I'm sure there are plenty who are way more eloquent, and way less over the top flashy than Caitlyn who can communicate the experience of real-world people struggling not only with the personal issues, but also the financial impossibilities of their situation.
Old 06-02-2015, 06:05 PM

So what do y'all think about....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
I don't know whether that's true or not but, if it is., perhaps the same thing can be said of women when it comes to people like Chas Bono.

Not long ago, I was speaking to someone about a recent episode of Game of Thrones. In this particular episode, a really odious character committed the wedding night rape of another character. The actual rape was not shown. All we saw were the facial reactions of a third character who was forced to watch.

My friend, who hasn't seen any of the show said that the episode was a big topic of conversation at work and a number of women swore that they were done with GoT. Because of the rape scene, they said they were never going to watch the show again.

In the course of several earlier episodes, the character who raped his bride had first tortured and then emasculated another character, the one who later was forced to watch the rape. The scenes of torture were fairly graphic and, as I mentioned, stretched out over several episodes.

It's interesting to ponder this. The women who vowed never to watch GoT again because of the rape scene were apparently not nearly as upset by the earlier scenes of the torture of a male character. I suppose it's a case of our degree of identification with the victim. Women identify more strongly to the experiences of female characters and men with those of male characters.

Interesting observations.......

After talking to women where I work.... The majority of them are enthused about the fashion choices in many of the photos. Also, many comments that this 65 year old looks more like thirty years old. There is a general consensus that all us women could look that good if we had a personal trainer, clothes designer, make up artist, etc., and all the money it takes for those things.

On the other hand....... Personally, I don't have a problem looking my age. I earned each and every grey hair and wrinkle. 😉

Last edited by barbara; 06-02-2015 at 06:14 PM.