Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-02-2015, 04:29 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

The Wild West in the University Classroom

HOUSTON — Students and faculty members at public and private universities in Texas could be allowed to carry concealed handguns into classrooms, dormitories and other buildings under a bill passed over the weekend by the Republican-dominated Legislature. The measure is being hailed as a victory by gun rights advocates and criticized by many students and professors as irresponsible and unnecessary.

The so-called campus-carry bill is expected to be signed into law by the Republican governor, Greg Abbott. It would take effect in August 2016 at universities and August 2017 at community colleges.

Supporters say it will make college campuses safer by not preventing licensed gun owners from defending themselves and possibly saving lives should a mass shooting occur, such as the one that unfolded at Virginia Tech University in 2007.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/03/us...on-campus.html

Raging hormones, lots of alcohol and guns everywhere. What could go wrong?

OTOH, it is Texas and Darwin will be very busy down there.
Old 06-02-2015, 04:40 PM
Banned

The potential for thinning the herd of undesirables is the only possible positive thing that might come of this.
Old 06-02-2015, 05:19 PM

This is the last couple of paragraphs of the article you posted.....

In Utah, the presidents of the public colleges have no discretion to write concealed-handgun rules. At Southern Utah University, a public university with about 8,000 students in Cedar City, students, the faculty, staff and administrators who are licensed by the state to carry a concealed firearm can have their weapon on them just about anywhere on campus — in classrooms, dormitory buildings and at sporting events.

Rick Brown, the university’s chief of police, said in the 22 years he has been with the campus police department, there has never been a public-safety incident involving students carrying concealed weapons. The only episode he could recall is the day a few years ago when a teacher found a loaded clip in a classroom after class was dismissed and notified the campus police. Mr. Brown said the clip apparently fell out of a student’s backpack during class. The student, who was licensed to carry a weapon, had realized it was missing and called the police, who returned the clip of ammunition to the student as if it were a cellphone or any other item that had been lost.

“It’s never been an issue,” Mr. Brown said.
__________________________________________________ ______________________

I ask you.....Is it safer in Utah or New York City? Is it safer in Utah or Detroit? Is it safer in Texas or Chicago? Is it safer in TN or Los Angeles?

The criminals are "already" packing without regard to training, safety, restrictions or common sense. A person who is responsible enough to train, be licensed, adhere to rules and regulations is far more apt to be a safety asset than a deficit.....

Nobody in any grocery store, restaurant, movie theater, church service etc has ever discerned the fact I have a Glock 23 in the small of my back. Criminals are armed....they are dangerous....they are skipping merrily down the rosy path of life and they're not going away.....I "GUARANTEE" you that if the patrons in Luby's in Texas or at Virginia Tech had had the capacity to protect themselves, the incident would probably have been shortened and it might have had a different outcome. Cho was allowed to murder indiscriminately for too long a period.....why would you not avail yourself of the right and the means to save your own life and/or the life of your loved ones?

It's not your perception that rape, robbery, car jacking or murder is "rare" is it? The statement of the College Dean from this very article speaks for itself.....
Old 06-02-2015, 06:04 PM

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr...ables/table-20

Table 20 on this FBI Uniform Crime Analysis report is a table of gun deaths in each stated in the US in 2011...
Old 06-02-2015, 06:18 PM

Firearm related death rate per 100,000 population

US: 2.83 (2012)
UK: 0.04 (2010)
Germany: 0.20 (2010)
France: 0.22 (2009)
Spain: 0.15 (2010)
Australia: 0.11 (2011)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ted_death_rate
Old 06-02-2015, 06:24 PM
Admin

I thought most law enforcement personnel were against the NRA's quest to have more and better guns out on the streets? You have me cornfused, LawDawg.
Old 06-02-2015, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
I thought most law enforcement personnel were against the NRA's quest to have more and better guns out on the streets? You have me cornfused, LawDawg.
LeyPerro may be a county mounty.
Old 06-02-2015, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Yes Sir, I've read that, some do....many of my contemporaries agree with me. I believe our world is getting worse....big problem with drugs (Prescription pain pills mostly) but meth is still around and heroin is making a reemergence in TN.....

As with most things, Bob, what other people think is a small part of my psyche....(I wouldn't walk naked thru the middle of Knoxville or wear white shoes after Labor day) but what I see a lot of is people who are the least able to protect themselves being the victim,,,the elderly, the small, women, kids, etc.

Criminals want to take the path of least resistance.....criminals don't want to get shot...."one" of the things taught to women in SAFE (Self Awareness, Fight Escape) is park under street lights, have your keys out, walk with your HEAD UP!! Present yourself as someone who knows what's going on around her and make eye contact...look people in the eye and present yourself as someone who you DON'T want to mess with, don't text and walk.....etc, etc

I know you must have heard the saying, "When seconds count, the police are minutes away." I fear for my wife and kids, grandkids.....not paranoid, but very cognizant of the potential danger......
Old 06-02-2015, 07:13 PM

Quote:
The bottom line is that the scrotes (no, Boreas, I'm NOT trying to enrage you) are armed, are going to "continue" to be armed, and are plying their trade......I would MUCH rather see a home invader or rapist laying there dead as opposed to the homeowner.....
Old 06-02-2015, 07:15 PM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawDawg View Post
Yes Sir, I've read that, some do....many of my contemporaries agree with me. I believe our world is getting worse....big problem with drugs (Prescription pain pills mostly) but meth is still around and heroin is making a reemergence in TN.....

As with most things, Bob, what other people think is a small part of my psyche....(I wouldn't walk naked thru the middle of Knoxville or wear white shoes after Labor day) but what I see a lot of is people who are the least able to protect themselves being the victim,,,the elderly, the small, women, kids, etc.

Criminals want to take the path of least resistance.....criminals don't want to get shot...."one" of the things taught to women in SAFE (Self Awareness, Fight Escape) is park under street lights, have your keys out, walk with your HEAD UP!! Present yourself as someone who knows what's going on around her and make eye contact...look people in the eye and present yourself as someone who you DON'T want to mess with, don't text and walk.....etc, etc

I know you must have heard the saying, "When seconds count, the police are minutes away." I fear for my wife and kids, grandkids.....not paranoid, but very cognizant of the potential danger......
I guess you really believe this crap. Lot's of people do. It is soothing to think if you carry a gun you can defend yourself and family...maybe neighbor too but it's nonsense.

If I want your money and I have a gun, you are defenseless with or without a gun. Your gun will only makes things worse if you are stupid enough to go for it.