Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Global political discussions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-06-2014, 04:15 PM
Sir Lord Vader of Cheam

Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke
I judge leadership on results, not potential appearances of weakness. (In fact, in my opinion, blustering is typically to hide weakness.)

I have full faith that clandestine pressure is currently being applied in ways we haven't even thought of.

When you can rock a Correspondant's Dinner while simultaneously having SEALS en route to bagging Bin Laden, you've got the sort of strength that only makes itself known via substantive results.
Old 03-06-2014, 04:15 PM
Admin

Sanctions.

Nobody in the west is going to get in the middle of a shooting war between Ukrainian nationalists and the Russian minority. This proposed annexation of Crimea is illegal and shouldn't happen. It's for all of the Ukraine to decide that.
Old 03-06-2014, 04:18 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
Russia wouldn't be in the Crimea?

Pete
Can Palin see the Crimea from her front porch? McCain never had a real chance at the White House with that baggage.
Old 03-06-2014, 04:23 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
Wish it was that simple Bocas. The Russian state certainly can cover multiple IPs

Pete
Ya think?

According to records maintained by the Justice Department, the Putin government exerts most of its behind-the-scenes influence in the U.S. through the public relations firm Ketchum, which documents show was paid more than $1.5 million in the most recent six-month reporting period for its work on behalf of Russia.

What does Ketchum do for that cash? Mostly distribute press releases, the documents say. But according to a document filed in November, Ketchum is also involved in "preparing, disseminating or causing the dissemination" of the website ModernRussia.com, a URL that redirects to ThinkRussia.com.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/101465564
Old 03-06-2014, 04:31 PM

A little excitement the last few days. The first time I every put someone on a ignore list was earlier in the week.

As to having puppet masters worried about PC seems to be stretch. Then again all free thinkers scare the bejesus out of those who want to silence it. We have them in spades!

But now if it was a AI computer program! A not to bright of one as it seems to be found out so quickly.

Barney
Old 03-06-2014, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bocas View Post
Very interesting. I would think if I were someone who was here before that would be easy enough for the Admins to figure out. Ever heard of an IP address? I cant help where my family came from.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bocas
Very interesting. Really not my problem though.
And a very interesting edit. Don't want the admins to dig too hard for the spoof?

Oh, and it might be your problem. Ya just never know.

John
Old 03-06-2014, 05:36 PM
Admin

Here's an op ed for ya Pete.

Forgive the copy and paste but since the LATimes wants payment to read it and I have a subscription.

"Russia seems to have learned little in the 160 years since the Crimean War. Launching ships and sending armies to grab land may work in the short term, but there are always negative consequences that bring big regrets later.
In 1853, Russia's man in charge was Czar Nicholas I, who hoped to take advantage of the weakening Ottoman Empire and expand Russian power and influence around the Black Sea and beyond. In 1853, using the pretext of protecting Orthodox Christians in the Ottoman-controlled Holy Land, Russia went to war and quickly destroyed the Ottoman fleet. Not a bad start.
However, by the time the war ended three years later, things had not worked out so well. France and Britain had won the conflict, and the weakness of Russia’s serf-dominated armies was exposed. Nicholas was dead and the czarist system began a decline that would lead to the monarchy’s 1917 demise. War debts were so high that the new czar, Alexander II, decided to sell Alaska to the United States because he could not afford to defend such a distant territory.
Russia’s current autocrat, Vladimir Putin, may be thinking his easy capture of Crimea from the fledgling government of Ukraine is a bold and clever move. Under the pretext of protecting Russians, he may have plans to snatch Ukraine’s Russian-speaking eastern industrial region. And he can act with the certain knowledge that, unlike the 1850s, Western powers have no stomach for war.
But that only proves Western leaders have learned the lessons of history. In the intertwined world of the 21st century, the power that really counts is economic power. Sure, the United States and the European Union have no inclination to send troops to defend Ukraine, but they have economic weapons that could severely undermine Russia’s tottering economy.
The Russian ruble is already tumbling, and Mark Adomanis, writing in Forbes, says that is just the beginning of trouble for Putin’s regime: "The economic costs to Russia will be severe. The Moscow stock market is going to get absolutely clobbered "....

Gotta love it when Guiliani chimes in ...."On Monday, former New York Mayor Rudolph Giuliani went on Fox News and weirdly praised Putin for his ability to act quickly and decisively. Unlike President Obama, Putin is "what you call a leader," Giuliani said.
We can be grateful Giuliani never got close to being our president. Acting without considering long-term consequences is not leadership; it is the sort of unthinking recklessness that started the Crimean War in the 19th century – not unlike the "resolute" tough-guy idiocy that sent American troops rushing off to Iraq for a decade of misery at the start of this century.
Let’s let Putin play that game if he chooses. If Obama and European leaders employ their economic weapons smartly, Putin can be taught a harsh lesson about real power in the modern world." David Horsey.

http://www.latimes.com/opinion/topof...#ixzz2vEF7oM5U

Last edited by bobabode; 03-06-2014 at 06:28 PM.
Old 03-06-2014, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
And a very interesting edit. Don't want the admins to dig too hard for the spoof?

Oh, and it might be your problem. Ya just never know.

John
No actually it irritated me that I felt like I needed to explain to some silly asshole about where my family is from and try to defend myself for what ever horse shit you are talking about. Do you have any idea how many people come from the archepalogo and the Almarante /Chiriqui province? Check whatever you want to check. Then if you are half a man you can apologize to me. Deal?
Old 03-06-2014, 05:50 PM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
While I am interested in seeing what the LA Times has to say, it seems to me that if they want to put their product behind a paywall, they want to enforce their copyright. I suppose we should honor that. Maybe the fair use doctrine would permit quoting a few salient points.

Regards,

D-Ray

EDIT: Silly me, I quoted the entire post.
Old 03-06-2014, 05:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJIII View Post
Hey, there's a new guy in town. Lets all beat the crap out of him until he complies with all our beliefs.

Jesus Christ on a bicycle.

How about "I don't believe what you say is correct.", or maybe no reply at all? Without any feedback what would be the purpose in hanging around? Is it really necessary to be so nasty?

Rant over.
What he said.

Plus!

Bunch of wacko conspiracy theorist pissing in all 4 corners thinking there protecting something.