Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-07-2014, 07:47 AM
Area Man

Sovereign Citizens

What do y'all think of this;

http://www.fbi.gov/stats-services/pu...reign-citizens

These Sovereign Citizens consider themselves "Patriots", fighting for our "Freedom". I think they're little more than gun-toting Anarchist a-holes and a direct threat to our freedom.

To my mind, there is such a thing as "too much freedom" and that's when civilization breaks down, everyone starts doing just as they damn well please and every day simply becomes a fight to survive.

Dave
Old 05-07-2014, 07:53 AM
Area Man

"Sovereign citizens do not represent an anarchist group, nor are they a militia, although they sometimes use or buy illegal weapons. Rather, they operate as individuals without established leadership and only come together in loosely affiliated groups to train, help each other with paperwork, or socialize and talk about their ideology. They may refer to themselves as “constitutionalists” or “freemen,” which is not necessarily a connection to a specific group, but, rather, an indication that they are free from government control."

However, doesn't some of this sound familiar?

Like maybe the movement has grown bigger than the FBI lets on, since 2011?

Dave

Last edited by BlueStreak; 05-07-2014 at 07:55 AM.
Old 05-07-2014, 08:11 AM
Area Man

More;

http://archive.adl.org/learn/ext_us/scm.html?xpicked=4

Dave
Old 05-07-2014, 08:13 AM

So it has finally come up at last in regard to the Bundy nonsense?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Last edited by Pio1980; 05-07-2014 at 08:17 AM.
Old 05-07-2014, 08:15 AM
Ready

Like the Davidians in that they see themselves as the few, the proud, standing against the 'satanic' forces. Unlike them in not being into following a charismatic leader, that I know of. Though one might come along some time....
Old 05-07-2014, 09:24 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pio1980 View Post
So it has finally come up at last in regard to the Bundy nonsense?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
Your mentioning it is what piqued my interest. Although I had heard of this once a long time ago, it slipped my mind so I hadn't made the connection. Back then, I probably just dismissed them as a handful of nutbags that we needn't worry about too much. (Timothy McVeigh notwithstanding.) However, despite what the FBI says, just looking at the description and reading a bit farther it doesn't take much to see that the lunacy has spread. And spread more than we might think.

There have been all sorts of incidents not reported in the media. For instance, who here knew about the armed attacks on law enforcement?

Dave
Old 05-07-2014, 09:39 AM
Ready

The phrase 'sovereign citizen' makes no sense. 'Citizen' is a status defined in the legal context of a tribe or nation, and so is a status created by a group. Citizens have rights and duties defined by the group, and are subject to the leadership and legal authority of the group. A sovereign, by contrast, is subject to nothing and no one. So the two are logically incompatible.
Old 05-07-2014, 09:41 AM
Area Man

To clarify. The basic ideology has spread. Not necessarily the violent tactics (yet), but the downright irrational hatred of government and law enforcement has definitely spread.

I notice the social media has cleaned it up some, but for a while there FaceBook was filling up with Patriotic sounding groups that when closely examined were really nothing more than vitriol spewing anti-everything cesspools.

Dave

Last edited by BlueStreak; 05-07-2014 at 09:56 AM.
Old 05-07-2014, 09:51 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixote99 View Post
The phrase 'sovereign citizen' makes no sense. 'Citizen' is a status defined in the legal context of a tribe or nation, and so is a status created by a group. Citizens have rights and duties defined by the group, and are subject to the leadership and legal authority of the group. A sovereign, by contrast, is subject to nothing and no one. So the two are logically incompatible.
Especially with the internet, seditionist ideas can spread quickly with no real structure or hierarchy. You don't have to attend any meetings, pay any dues or follow any "leaders". You can read someones thoughts and become simpatico without ever knowing that persons real name. Does the creation of a Zeitgeist or a meme necessary require a strong "leader" or can it simply spring forth from people sharing thoughts, then attract strong leaders?

Think about it.
Old 05-07-2014, 09:54 AM
Area Man

Maybe "Sovereign Resident" would make more sense? But, really the name means nothing. It's the actions that matter, whatever they call themselves.

Dave