Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-31-2012, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpholland View Post
I wouldn't vote for him if I was a union guy either.
You are not a union guy so how do you know?
Old 08-31-2012, 10:24 AM
reflexionar

Quote:
Originally Posted by icenine View Post
You are not a union guy so how do you know?
I saw the wink, but will say it anyway. I bend pipe and tubing for a living in a small non-union shop. I am very good at my job, I show up on time every day and work overtime when necessary. My employer acknowledges this and rewards me with pay and benefits that are equivelent to a lot of unions, so why would I want to pay union dues on top of what Uncle Sam already takes out of my check?
Old 08-31-2012, 10:30 AM

Quote:
I saw the wink, but will say it anyway. I bend pipe and tubing for a living in a small non-union shop. I am very good at my job, I show up on time every day and work overtime when necessary. My employer acknowledges this and rewards me with pay and benefits that are equivelent to a lot of unions, so why would I want to pay union dues on top of what Uncle Sam already takes out of my check?
Yeah but deep down you know you do not have the job security many unions members doing your trade enjoy. I bet they would not trade places with you. I am sure you are a great worker. So am I.

I got two full time job offers when I retired from the Navy. One was union one was not. Guess which one I took?
Old 08-31-2012, 10:48 AM
reflexionar

Quote:
Yeah but deep down you know you do not have the job security many unions members doing your trade enjoy. I bet they would not trade places with you. I am sure you are a great worker. So am I.

I got two full time job offers when I retired from the Navy. One was union one was not. Guess which one I took?
Tell that to the union guys here in Portland that used to work for Freightliner until they pulled up and went to Mexico because they couldn't afford to stay any longer. Or maybe the taxpayers would like to understand why over 40% of the city's intake goes to paying debt mostly made up of interest and retirement benefits.
Old 08-31-2012, 10:59 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Combwork View Post
I'm stepping into this one. If it's the same in the USA as in the UK, even in skilled trades when a job becomes available there'll be more than one applying for it. Go to the unskilled market and it's a hell of a lot more than that.

This is why the Unions lose support. Not because what they stand for is inherently wrong but because with unemployment levels as high as they are, employers can pick and choose.
As I see it Comb, unions here are in a bit of a pickle. The Democratic Party hasn't shown them any real support in decades. Oh, they propose a bill like the "Employee Free Choice Act" every now and then, but never really press very hard to pass them. Look at what happened with the public unions in Wisconsin, for example. The local Democratic Party fought hard, but it appears that the national party made little to no effort to help them. The party has, to a large degree, abandoned their base in this regard. Democratic presidential candidates scarcely mention unions during their campaigns and when they do, it's little more than lip service.

The Republican Party HATES organized labor. They'll make flowery speeches at union halls seeking votes, but you can bet it's ALWAYS a lie. They wouldn't care if TD and his fellow union members ended up living under a freeway overpass, so long as they have that union card in their wallets. He doesn't seem to realize this, but then..............maybe he does, I don't know.

Dave
Old 08-31-2012, 11:07 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Tell that to the union guys here in Portland that used to work for Freightliner until they pulled up and went to Mexico because they couldn't afford to stay any longer. Or maybe the taxpayers would like to understand why over 40% of the city's intake goes to paying debt mostly made up of interest and retirement benefits.
Couldn't or wouldn't? There is a difference. Not that it really matters, gone is gone. However, consider the foreign companies that are coming here and running, in many instances, the same plants and/or with the same workforce and succeeding. I work in such a place.

What, would you say, is that all about?

I have my theories.

Dave
Old 08-31-2012, 11:11 AM

Quote:
If the union sucks so much just quit your job.
Guess what? he has not lost this union vote.
Right!!! This is America, damn it! Nobody can stop you from being a non-union pipefitter!

Not even Barack Hussein Obama!

John
Old 08-31-2012, 11:12 AM

Quote:
But if it was your retirement they were paying you wouldn't mind...
Old 08-31-2012, 11:18 AM

Quote:
I wouldn't vote for him if I was a union guy either.
And, clearly, you're not. But, if you were a "union guy", you'd rather vote for the party that has a history of destroying unions and promoting "right to work" legislation? Now, there's some goper logic for ya!

John
Old 08-31-2012, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Yeah but deep down you know you do not have the job security many unions members doing your trade enjoy.
Or retirement benefits.

John