We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-08-2014, 07:37 AM

News sites cracking down on trolls

Seems there is a whole lotta trollin' going on... 😉

http://m.washingtonpost.com/lifestyl...1-f0feafdd1394
Old 05-08-2014, 08:13 AM
Ready

There's a lot to be said for the NY Times method. 100% moderation before publication. In other words, 'it's our site, and we decide what gets published on it.'

If someone doesn't like it, they can always start their own site....
Old 05-08-2014, 09:04 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixote99 View Post
There's a lot to be said for the NY Times method. 100% moderation before publication. In other words, 'it's our site, and we decide what gets published on it.'

If someone doesn't like it, they can always start their own site....
The only thing I fined useful in news sites that have comments. The voting thumbs up/down it can show you how the group thinks to given articles.
Old 05-08-2014, 09:07 AM
AKA Sister Mary JJ

Anonymity breeds animosity.
Old 05-08-2014, 09:12 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJIII View Post
Anonymity breeds animosity.
Yep those sites are gang mentality.

Something I had hope to avoid with a small site.
Old 05-08-2014, 09:32 AM
AKA Sister Mary JJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4-2-7 View Post
Yep those sites are gang mentality.

Something I had hope to avoid with a small site.
Small sites, large sites, it doesn't matter. Anybody that is a member here or over at AK can figure out who I am and where I live without too much trouble. I also sign all invoices when I repair an instrument. It keeps me honest.
Old 05-08-2014, 09:36 AM
Persona non grata

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbara View Post
Seems there is a whole lotta trollin' going on... 😉
Another old memory triggered to the surface.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yRdDnrB5kM
Old 05-08-2014, 09:48 AM
Banned

You know after thinking about this a bit I would give more credit if the sit stops all comments opposed to censoring.

News sites are agenda driven so will their comment censoring be.
Old 05-09-2014, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4-2-7 View Post
You know after thinking about this a bit I would give more credit if the sit stops all comments opposed to censoring.

News sites are agenda driven so will their comment censoring be.
There is really no sense in having a comment section if you're going to pick and choose which are and which aren't published. The left would be up in arms if someone bought a paper and censored all comments from a protected group, say, African-Americans. Of course, some rules on swear words and known trigger words ought be excluded; however, no such censorship of concepts or ideas. I think an argument could even be made that the paper must allow comments against their known position if there are limited information sources within the paper's publishing domain. Today, with the advent of multiple sources of information available, that would be a difficult case to make.
Old 05-09-2014, 07:43 AM
Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhunter View Post
There is really no sense in having a comment section if you're going to pick and choose which are and which aren't published. The left would be up in arms if someone bought a paper and censored all comments from a protected group, say, African-Americans. Of course, some rules on swear words and known trigger words ought be excluded; however, no such censorship of concepts or ideas. I think an argument could even be made that the paper must allow comments against their known position if there are limited information sources within the paper's publishing domain. Today, with the advent of multiple sources of information available, that would be a difficult case to make.
You are dumber than a sack of rancid guts if you believe that! People like you are why this country has become a festering swamp of every sort of debauchery and evil. You sold your kids into prostitution to pay for a couple of fixes of heroin!

[Not really! This is offered as an example of the sort of comment that would have to be allowed under the standards you suggest.]

But the basic flaw in your conceopt is contained in four words: "the paper must allow." Allowing outside parties to say what a paper must allow is as much the death of a free press as allowing outside parties to censor ideas. The only way you have a 'free press' is when the media has editorial control over itself.

If you are upset that the paper won't print your remarks, your remedy is to go to another paper, or get your own. "Freedom of the Press" is a right of editors, flowing from media ownership.