Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Off-topic
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-28-2011, 05:05 PM
Loyal Opposition

Political Music

I grew up in a time where protest music was at it's peak - or seemed that way to me. We had Crosby Stills Nash & Young with "Ohio"; Steve Miller with "Jackson/ Kent Blues" and "Industrial Military Complex Hex." Jethro Tull put out some biting social commentary - i.e, "Thick as a Brick" or "Aqualung." Bob Dylan was probably most prolific, with "Masters of War" being most memorable. Neil Young had one of my favorite lines "We have a thousand points of light for the homeless man and a kinder, gentler machine gun hand." followed closely by Rage Against the Machine "Rally 'round the family, with a pocket full of shells."

Steve Earle has one that strikes me a particularly insightful social commentary in "Amerika 6.0" Unlike the others listed above, it has more of a country flavor to it than rock.

Anyone else out there have a favorite song in terms of political or social commentary?

P.S. I once started a thread something like this on AK, and it was, understandably shut down.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 09-28-2011, 05:19 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

James McMurtry - "Just Us Kids" is probably the most biting political album I've heard in years. The song "Cheney's Toy" is about as caustic as it gets.

On a lighter note, here are a couple from two of my favorite bands.

Stand Down, Margaret - The English Beat

Guns of Brixton - The Clash

On an even lighter note, these two from John Prine - S/T

Sam Stone
Your Flag Decal ...

Last edited by finnbow; 09-28-2011 at 05:37 PM.
Old 09-28-2011, 05:47 PM
Loyal Opposition

Can't argue with those picks, Finn.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 09-28-2011, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
I grew up in a time where protest music was at it's peak - or seemed that way to me. We had Crosby Stills Nash & Young with "Ohio"; Steve Miller with "Jackson/ Kent Blues" and "Industrial Military Complex Hex." Jethro Tull put out some biting social commentary - i.e, "Thick as a Brick" or "Aqualung." Bob Dylan was probably most prolific, with "Masters of War" being most memorable. Neil Young had one of my favorite lines "We have a thousand points of light for the homeless man and a kinder, gentler machine gun hand." followed closely by Rage Against the Machine "Rally 'round the family, with a pocket full of shells."

Steve Earle has one that strikes me a particularly insightful social commentary in "Amerika 6.0" Unlike the others listed above, it has more of a country flavor to it than rock.

Anyone else out there have a favorite song in terms of political or social commentary?

P.S. I once started a thread something like this on AK, and it was, understandably shut down.

Regards,

D-Ray
For you, D-Man, by none other than Ry Coder

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEvBCnHPM4Y

BTW, my LP is a mint "promo" in a vinyl sleeve. Even says it's against the law for me to own it on the sticker.

But I'm a good 'ol rebel myself.

Come git it, ya Damnyankee rekkerd Pinkertons!!! If ya'll can find it in muh rekkerd collection, ya'll are a better man than me!!!

Chas
Old 09-28-2011, 05:54 PM

Hate to break it to ya'll, but people been singin' political protest songs long before the 1960's.

Chas
Old 09-28-2011, 06:03 PM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Hate to break it to ya'll, but people been singin' political protest songs long before the 1960's.

Chas
That's why I qualified the original statement. But doesn't everyone find the music from when they were growing up to be the most important music there is?

BTW, that kind of music (The Long Riders soundtrack) is right in Ry's wheelhouse. Then again, I'm not sure that there is any music he couldn't handle.

Back to the Stones - from the other thread - from what I hear, Keith Richards stole Ry's licks for the guitar part on "Sister Morphine."

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 09-28-2011, 06:29 PM

Black Sabbath's War Pigs

Most folks never gave Ozzy and the boys in Sabbath much of a chance but a lot of the lyrics deal with peace and love.
Old 09-28-2011, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
That's why I qualified the original statement. But doesn't everyone find the music from when they were growing up to be the most important music there is?

BTW, that kind of music (The Long Riders soundtrack) is right in Ry's wheelhouse. Then again, I'm not sure that there is any music he couldn't handle.

Back to the Stones - from the other thread - from what I hear, Keith Richards stole Ry's licks for the guitar part on "Sister Morphine."

Regards,

D-Ray
I think Ry won an award for that soundtrack. Wasn't his best work, IMHO.
One of the most under appreciated serious composers and musicians of all times.

Probably more people have heard of "Davey Jones and the Monkees".

I still like Ian Anderson, more for his lyrics at this stage in life.

Chas
Old 09-28-2011, 06:36 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post

Chas
Woody Guthrie's "This Land is Your Land," particularly when you include the deleted verses.
Old 09-28-2011, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
Woody Guthrie's "This Land is Your Land," particularly when you include the deleted verses.
This is kinda fun.

First time in awhile that I've been able to set back by myself (including online friends) and slam dunk a 6-pak of Boulevards without being disturbed.

PBS is even playing good tunes, which is rare for this time of night.

Almost as much fun as going fishing when they're biting.

Chas