Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Economy
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-06-2009, 08:13 AM
Resident octogenarian

JC I guess I was applying my own observations of children before we corrupt their thinking and that led to my recalling the poem - I inherited all of mmy Dad's "Complete works of ..." poetry books as well as collecting some of my own, such as Elizabeth Barrett Browning and John Donne. I guess Donne's "No man is an island" did as much to define my philosophical outlook as anything. There was a second and bookstore in Montreal where the owner and I had many a discussion. He was a patient elderly Jew who was very kind to this young WASP, well young then.

Had I gone to university I would most likely have chosen a bachelor's in philosophy, it is a second love. For a short period I had the run of a professor's library, he held the Chair in Philosophy at McGill University in Montreal.

Apart from a few animals I don't believe that visciousness is a natural phenomena. We had a mother cat adopt us and she eventuallly brought her four kittens over from the neighbors where they were certainly not wanted. We had them all neutered - five is fine, twenty five is not - and given all the necessary shot, but because of allergies they can't come in. The main point is that although we have had pets before, this is the first time to have the opportunity to observe a family of cats. Momma is for sure the boss and the four do what she orders. Three females and one male and the plain and simple affection they show each other is beautiful to see.

Sorry. long winded old fart.
Old 11-06-2009, 08:26 AM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCricket View Post
Unions, good for, bad for, indifferent on the economy?
Well generally good but sometimes, you just need to get things done yourself and, well...... when this happens they are not so good.

http://www.nataliedee.com/110607/sus...crewdriver.jpg
Old 11-07-2009, 04:07 PM
Area Man

Okay. I'll "weigh in".

Having grown up in a mostly UAW family, been a member of HERE and UCFW and served on two contract negotiating committees and participated in organizing efforts my knee jerk reaction is to sing the praises.

Yes, I have campaigned, passed out cards, sat in some rather colorfull meetings, faced management from across the table, stood out on a picket line in the cold, and witnessed company sponsered corruption and violence. As the Great John L. Lewis once said; "They smote me hip and thigh, and right merrily did I return the blows."

But, that was a long time ago. I have changed and so has the world.

So, the question is; Unions? Good, or Bad?

In the context of the times, I would have to say that those in the ranks of organized labor must be pragmatic, yet maintain the brotherhood. We live in a global marketplace, like it or not Americas workforce has been exposed to direct competition with far cheaper labor markets. The focus of the Unions must be to maintain domestic membership whilst seeking to help unions in the foreign markets fight to raise their workers to a better standard. Once this has been accomplished to some greater degree can we resume to recover that which has been lost.

So, to stop beating around the bush and get to the point. Unions can and have been a force for the good. Think of all the things most workers, even non-union workers have today that once, only a couple generations ago were "executive perks" or didn't exist at all.

But unions can get out of control. Run costs to unrealistic levels, making businesses unprofitable and causing owners to abandon them.

In summary; After all of that long winded jaw flapping, my answer is------------------Depends on the circumstances. Right now driving up wages (In the domestic market.) might just be a bad mistake. Even though I know many of our working families could use the money.

I hope I have helped to add to the confusion.

Dave

Last edited by BlueStreak; 11-07-2009 at 04:14 PM.
Old 11-07-2009, 04:12 PM
Area Man

"We don't need to lower union wages to help America's economy. We need to unionize the rest of the world.

Regards,

D-Ray"

What you said.

Dave
Old 11-07-2009, 04:36 PM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
"We don't need to lower union wages to help America's economy. We need to unionize the rest of the world.

Regards,

D-Ray"

What you said.

Dave
exactly
Old 11-08-2009, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatchetJack View Post
Good and Bad, Good if it helps employees earn a fair wage and have a safe
work place. Bad if workers are overpaid to the point that the final product
is not competitive in terms of quality and price to survive a world economy.
You summed it up perfectly. Now if only the health bill were as short and to the point.