Go Back   Political Forums > Politicalchat.org discussion boards > History
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-22-2013, 05:39 PM
Area Man

The Detroit Wall

http://www.npr.org/2012/09/11/160768...roits-progress

Hmmmm......It doesn't look like the wall in that guys video. The one he showed had broken glass embedded in the cap, so that anyone attempting to climb over would get cut. It was also a bit taller. Maybe that was just a short section of the same wall?

But, there is a wall nonetheless.

Another pair of interesting articles;

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/americanexpe...eleanor-riots/

http://imagine2050.newcomm.org/2010/...ory-of-racism/

Dave
Old 04-22-2013, 05:41 PM
Area Man

I like this quote from one of the above articles;

“I love America more than any other country in the world and, exactly for this reason, I insist on the right to criticize her perpetually.”-----Author and Activist James Baldwin

Dave
Old 04-22-2013, 05:56 PM
Admin

No surprise there. Detroit was as bad as some southern states in how they dealt with race relations.
Even in California we had covenants in real property deeds that prohibited the transfer to people of color.
Old 04-22-2013, 07:07 PM
Jigsawed

If Bedford-Stuyvesant in Brooklyn can come back from the riots in the sixties I have some hope for Detroit.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dondilion View Post
If Bedford-Stuyvesant in Brooklyn can come back from the riots in the sixties I have some hope for Detroit.
The financial dynamics in Detroit are different. Recall that with the change in banking and saving structure during 1984-1999 all of the saved money went to NYC investment firms. Detroit workers have much less money now than they did at the turn of the century. As such they are less able to do, well, anything.

We are in a real pickle over here. Hopefully someone is getting a good laugh.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:19 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebacon View Post
The financial dynamics in Detroit are different. Recall that with the change in banking and saving structure during 1984-1999 all of the saved money went to NYC investment firms. Detroit workers have much less money now than they did at the turn of the century. As such they are less able to do, well, anything.

I really hope not, Ed. That would be akin to laughingly beating a rape victim for getting raped, imo.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:49 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebacon View Post

Right. I recall seeing a figure of >20% decline in wage levels in the Detroit Metro area since 2000. Kinda makes the argument that high wages are what keeps the city down look antiquated, doesn't it?

Dave
Old 04-22-2013, 10:05 PM

Detroit auto workers were never overpaid. They just bargained for something in the neighborhood of 1/10 of what their CEOs made. Apparently that was so************************m. Grrr.

Now they make 1/100 of what their CEOs make or some shit like that. And the workers are greedy?

There is a game afoot. No doubt about it. Someone is trying to make the workers go ballistic. That is the communist strategy.

Last edited by ebacon; 04-22-2013 at 10:11 PM.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:45 PM
Area Man

Here in the Old Dominion, the blacks often refer to something called the "Plantation Mentality". It basically means someone has been so beaten down they will stoop to anything just to keep a job. Snitch, backstab, brown-nose, scab, "bow and scrape"....put up with whatever BS the boss dishes out just to stay in his good graces, basically.

This used to be a derogatory term blacks used to describe each other. But, now it has new meaning and it includes working class whites as well. As a good friend of mine recently said, "The people at the top are turnin' the whole country into a plantation. No more unions, no more regulation, no more worker protection, none of that shit. Just us, the bossman and the leash that connects us. Leave this job and go to that one---same shit. Move to another city, state? Don't matter. Same shit. North, South, East, West....same shit."

Dave
Old 04-22-2013, 11:01 PM
Admin

Hey bossman, y'all wants some chocolate cream pie? Wait'll you hear what the secret ingredient is... Now, where did you wants all these commodes?